Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 02-21-2019, 08:11 PM

Gängl Titanium

Well, it's about time I finally post some pics and the story of my Gängl Ti bike.

I had a nice low end Ciöcc (Columbus Zeta tubing) from about 1985 but the frame finally cracked after years of riding due to an small accident that happened in '87. I began looking for a replacement bike in the late '90s...I poured over brochures from Spectrum, Moots, Steelman, Sachs, Calfee and many others.

I was stationed in Colorado Springs at the time so I went to many bike shops here and in Denver and on occasion made it to Boulder searching and researching the 'perfect bike' One day I made it to Schwab Cycles. I spoke to Bruce Schwab about Moots and his other offerings but he told me "If I could get any bike and didn't have to ride what I sold, I would get one from Rich Gängl."

I never heard of Rich Gängl but Bruce told me he was less than 5 miles away in Golden, CO and suggested I go see Rich. I immediately drove over and knocked on Rich's shop door. Rich was so nice, super informative, humble and a perfectionist with an almost OCD-level attention to detail and frame alignment. Not only did he have all the perfect attributes I thought important for a frame builder but he also won a couple of World Championships. I spent over 3 hours with Rich picking his brain that afternoon and didn't even give him a deposit but my mind was made up.

Before I could get back with Rich, I was shipped to Thule, Greenland for a 1 year remote assignment in 1999. I saved up during that assignment and when I returned, I met with Rich in late Spring of 2000 for one of his titanium frames. Rich took measurements from me and my old Ciöcc and gave me a stack of papers with line drawings of a frame for me to take home and color in order to come up with a paint scheme. I met with Rich several times to add to my deposit and work on details of the build and dropped off the fork to have it painted to match.

In June of 2001, Rich called me and said...' it's ready!'. I brought all the parts (Campy Record 10 that is now on my lugged steel Gängl) and watched him put it all together. It was absolutely stunning but I was really apprehensive...would it handle well? Would I like to ride it or would I find it to be a big mistake? After it was all set up, Rich took it for a spin. I watched him fly by at over 25mph, no-handed, banging on the top tube and head tube trying to initiate a wobble. The bike quickly damped the energy and continued unaffect steady and stable on the current path.

After his tests, Rich handed the bike to me and said its perfect and it could even win the Tour!
I jumped on and Rich rode with me to verify my position and seat height. All my fears and apprehension faded with the first turn of the pedals. Right then I knew I had a winner...a bike that I absolutely love!!

The handling is so precise and confidence inspiring...almost telepathic...just the way I like it. It is comfortable for long days in the saddle but has a beefed up downtube that is ovalized at the headtube and bb, an ovalized seattube at the bb and beefed up chainstays that have been swaged to cope with my 190-205 lbs carcass. Descents on this bike are perfect too..begging you to go faster.

I think she still looks great after all these years and over 50,000 miles. Here she is recently built up with Record 12. Thought I would try the yellow bar tape and Fizik seat with yellow accents.

Sorry for the long story. I thought someone may like hearing about one person's experience about getting a custom bike. Hope you enjoy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2019, 08:22 PM

Thanks for sharing! Never heard of this builder but thanks to you I now have. Really cool build too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2019, 08:27 PM

Wonderful bike and story. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:04 PM
aka RAEKWON

I would have gone black tape and saddle but man, this is just fantastic.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:28 PM

Great story, nice looking bike.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:37 PM

After 18 years of ownership I am confident it has seen a few black tape renditions, the yellow brightens it up and an unalike change is clearly an indicator of continuing evolution. Always comforting when you can look back after X amount of years and say to your self "that was an unbeatable purchase choice".

Nice, nice Bike!
Old 02-21-2019, 09:47 PM
Barely Hanging On

It's a timeless beauty. Is that the original paint?
Old 02-21-2019, 10:43 PM

Thanks for sharing the story--wonderful! That paint is just beautiful. Nice job all the way around.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:47 PM

Thanks for all the positive comments!

Yes, that is original paint. I like the partially painted frame with the more more chip-prone areas left unpainted, beautiful brushed bare ti.

I had the yellow tape lying around and thought I may as well use it. I'm sure I'll be going back to black bar tape when this wears out. I'll also be swapping the saddle to a black SMP in the near future.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:50 PM

Btw, here is the link to my steel frame that I had repainted and built up last year.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...4&share_type=t

Old 02-21-2019, 11:13 PM

Great story, I loved it! He seems like a cool guy and super generous with his time.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:39 AM

Love it. I too want a ti bike painted like yours and the fork is especially cool.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:26 AM

Wow, I thought you were showing off a brand new frame. Pics sure look like a brand new bike.

Glad you've enjoyed it so much!
Old 02-22-2019, 11:16 AM

That's an awesome bike and story! What's up with the seatpost binder bolt? I'd love a shot of that cluster.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:13 PM

Gorgeous bike, hard to believe it is original paint. I love Ti bikes, all of mine have been unpainted, seeing yours, I may have to reconsider.