Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 08:30 AM

Realistic:

Moab, Utah. I have already been there twice and I can't wait to go back.

Unrealistic:

Iceland. I dont know how good the biking is there but I would happily try if someone bought me a plane ticket
Old 02-18-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
France, but given they are having a few issuses and a bit of in fighting we might have to give it a miss and head to Italy or Spain. The wife is a PITA and doesn't like to spend more than 3hrs in a plane which limits where we can go
Ah, France is not so fraught out in the southern countryside, and would welcome visitors from Ecosse They even know how the country voted on the recent contentious issue. My ancestors even thought well enough of it to move from France to Scotland, but who really knows what wild ideas people had 3-400 years ago. Anyway, the riding is wonderful, its warm there now, and its a short flight from where you are. Bonne route!
Old 02-18-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Thanks for the update!

I was there 41 years ago and I have a very romanticized memory of the area.

Now that I am heading into retirement, I'm retracing some of my early fishing adventures.

Maybe I need to venture deeper into remote areas.

FWIW I'm spending two weeks in Montana this summer. Again, retracing footsteps from many, many years ago.
oh my, i bet it was epic there 41 years ago, i saw the pictures. the big fish are mainly gone. its still lovely country, but theres a lot of people around now adays. congrats on Montana and retirement though!
Old 02-18-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
congrats on Montana and retirement though!
Heh thanks.

I traveled continually when I was young and now my wife wants to visit some of the places I talk about.

We'll head out to Oregon and Washington eventually as well.

Are you available for guiding?
Old 02-18-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
Ah, France is not so fraught out in the southern countryside, and would welcome visitors from Ecosse They even know how the country voted on the recent contentious issue. My ancestors even thought well enough of it to move from France to Scotland, but who really knows what wild ideas people had 3-400 years ago. Anyway, the riding is wonderful, its warm there now, and its a short flight from where you are. Bonne route!
We're regular visitors to Antibes, Lyon and Dijon, we'd move there at the drop of a hat. Unfortunately aging parents require looking after till they start pushing up the daisies.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:10 PM

Cycling in BC and Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgul Bismark View Post
No current plans, but places I'd love to ride:
  • Aspen during the Summer
  • Alberta - Jasper National Park and the Icefields Parkway
  • Kelowna & Kamloops B.C
  • Durango
Jasper National Park is beautiful and the bike lanes on the highway are great. It is a beautiful area.

Kelowna and Kamloops would be great for riding, warm and dry in the summer. A lot of folks really enjoy the Naramata area for cycling.

I am pretty darn sure you would enjoy the areas you mentioned.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:44 PM

Beale Street. Memphis. I've wanted to go for a long time and next month I will make the trip. 3 days of music is on the schedule.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Where am i going next or where would i like to go next?

next trip with S&S bike: SLO in a couple weeks. looking forward to some peaceful riding to get some fitness back. it's been a rough couple weeks.

where would i like to go? - short of an Australian or NZ adventure, which i would love to undertake, but probably not in the cards at the moment, i would love 2 weeks in deep southern CA, off the grid for a while. anza borrego area would be perfect. maybe a camper van, someplace to shower, some hiking shoes and a bike for a couple weeks would hit the spot right about now.

thanks weisan for the thread and the dreams.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Where am i going next or where would i like to go next?

next trip with S&S bike: SLO in a couple weeks. looking forward to some peaceful riding to get some fitness back. it's been a rough couple weeks.

where would i like to go? - short of an Australian or NZ adventure, which i would love to undertake, but probably not in the cards at the moment, i would love 2 weeks in deep southern CA, off the grid for a while. anza borrego area would be perfect. maybe a camper van, someplace to shower, some hiking shoes and a bike for a couple weeks would hit the spot right about now.

thanks weisan for the thread and the dreams.
Grass is always greener. I live in Melbourne and I'd like to ride (in the Summer) Northern Cali, Oregon and into Washington.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobrien View Post

Kelowna and Kamloops would be great for riding, warm and dry in the summer.
Ditto on Kelowna. Caught the great scenery on a Hallmark movie (yes, it’s been a sad lazy winter) and put a feeler out to a fellow hobbyist.
The Kettle Valley RTT looks like it’s worth a trip.

I’d like to go back to Switzerland with my bike again. Old age and bum knees will probably make climbing a chore, but the scenery!
And the Rosti, the sausages, Schnitzel, fondue, raclette, Calandabrau Radler, Dole,....

Last edited by Plum Hill; 02-18-2019 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 02-18-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobrien View Post
Jasper National Park is beautiful and the bike lanes on the highway are great. It is a beautiful area.

Kelowna and Kamloops would be great for riding, warm and dry in the summer. A lot of folks really enjoy the Naramata area for cycling.

I am pretty darn sure you would enjoy the areas you mentioned.
Thanks for the feedback. I was in Jasper maybe 15 years ago, but didn't have a bike. It was beautiful. Seemed like a great way to have a home base with a lot of options for rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill View Post
Ditto on Kelowna. Caught the great scenery on a Hallmark movie (yes, it’s been a sad lazy winter) and put a feeler out to a fellow hobbyist.
The Kettle Valley RTT looks like it’s worth a trip.
Thanks for the tip about the KVR Trail. Wow. The trail and the railroad trestles are seriously impressive.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:49 PM

The Scottish Highlands. Again.

Hauntingly beautiful. Spent a week in Fort Augustus, on the banks of Loch Ness in '06. Eilean Donan Castle. Mallaig. The unspoiled and wild Glen Affric. Loch Shiel and the majestic Glenfinnan Monument. Ben Nevis. And of course, the brooding Loch Ness itself.

Missed the Isle of Skye, but next time.

One of the most beautiful places on earth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2524.jpg (68.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 02-18-2019, 09:57 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
The unspoiled and wild Glen Affric
The Glen Affric Youth Hostel - "What do you mean, it doesn't have wi-fi ???!!!"

Old 02-18-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
The Glen Affric Youth Hostel - "What do you mean, it doesn't have wi-fi ???!!!"

Exactly. Definitely not in 2006, anyway