Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 09-09-2018, 11:21 PM

Alliance road - fun with wheels

This all started in November of 2017 - I had a great phone conversation with Erik Rolf of Alliance Bicycles. Spent some time talking about his bikes and what I was looking for. I continued to "think about" it and investigate other builders. I kept coming back to Erik though. I liked his style, I liked his fit ideas, I liked his experience and training. He loves bikes and knows how to translate that into his builds. Finally in the late spring I decided to put my deposit down. On Memorial Day weekend my family and I took a trip out to Ketchum and I met Erik at his shop. We spent a few hours talking bikes, measuring me, looking at tubing, and talking more bikes. The stage was set and he'd send me a CAD file in a few weeks. I chose my color - Thanks to Paceline! https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ght=blue+bikes

Well the frame arrived back from paint last week so I drove out to Hailey/Ketchum for Labor Day weekend. This time I was solo and just camped in my van. Got there Friday night and met Erik at the shop Saturday. We built the bike up, I paid him and went for a ride! We made plans for an MTB ride the next day too.

I am so impressed with Erik, his shop and his build. The frame looks amazing and it's everything I could want. Fits perfectly and rides amazing!

The build:
Alliance frame
Enve Fork
White Industries HS
Silca pump
2015+ Chorus groupset
Enve seatpost
Enve bar
Deda Superleggero stem
Fabric Scoop Shallow seat
King cages
Wheels are whatever I put on for the day

Shaping

Curves for days!!

Build in the morning and ride up to 8700ft in the afternoon - great shakedown ride. The bike climbed great and was incredible on the downhills.

Last edited by Andy sti; 09-07-2019 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:27 PM

For it's one week anniversary I went to Crater Lake for the Ride the Rim. They have the east rim closed to cars for the day. Tons of cyclist out. It was a great time.

74 miles and 8200ft of climbing.

This is a keeper!
Old 09-09-2018, 11:31 PM

Hey,
I am interested in how you would compare it to the evo HiMod. I remember, you were the one that pointed me towards the 2017 Evo HiMod because you liked it so much when at the time I was thinking about a 2014 hiMod. Well, I took your advice and bought a 2017 HiMod. I absolutely love the ride. Although, I do find that at my weight of 145 lbs, the bike does start to tire me out at about 65 miles or so.

So, how does the Alliance compare to the hiMod? I have never ridden a steel bike and would love if you would give your thoughts.

BTW, enjoy the bike. It looks like a nice ride and the color is just oh so gorgeous!
Old 09-10-2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
Hey,
I am interested in how you would compare it to the evo HiMod. I remember, you were the one that pointed me towards the 2017 Evo HiMod because you liked it so much when at the time I was thinking about a 2014 hiMod. Well, I took your advice and bought a 2017 HiMod. I absolutely love the ride. Although, I do find that at my weight of 145 lbs, the bike does start to tire me out at about 65 miles or so.

So, how does the Alliance compare to the hiMod? I have never ridden a steel bike and would love if you would give your thoughts.

BTW, enjoy the bike. It looks like a nice ride and the color is just oh so gorgeous!
The EVO HiMod is a great frame. According to my Strava I have 16,000 miles on mine. I've wanted to try good steel for a long time. I stopped racing in June and bought a Cielo to play around with. That frame is super fun too. Since then I haven't been on the EVO much. Still have it and have no plans on getting rid of it though. This Alliance will not be raced, just ridden hard.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:38 AM

wow - that's gorgeous. those seatstays...
also, thoughts on the WI headset?
Old 09-10-2018, 10:35 PM

Beautiful Andy. That blue color is stunning.

Call dibs on the Cielo.

Enjoy.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:06 AM

Electric!
Old 09-11-2018, 06:08 AM

Love the color!

Alliance Bicycles is probably one of the best kept secrets in custom frames.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:23 AM

wow!

Talk about doing it 'right'! I love the fact you got to visit him in his shop for the final pick up. Great build, great post. I'm also a big fan of Erik's and he built my favorite bike ever here. I regret selling it big time - it's a matter of when I have him build me another of exactly the same...

Congrats

Many happy miles to you.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:33 AM

Beautiful.
That bike looks perfect for those incredible mountain roads.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:55 AM

Stunning bike! I've been an Alliance/Erik fan for several years but have yet to jump in the queue. Really love those seatstays!

I hope you enjoy the ride.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:39 AM

That looks absolutely amazing, and I love the blue you went with - works perfectly with the black Campy Chorus grouppo.

Hoping I'll get to see this in person over the weekend - will send you an email on that...
Old 09-11-2018, 03:29 PM

That’s a beautiful bike. Love the rich blue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My blog and Instagram
Old 09-11-2018, 03:48 PM

The Crater Lake Blue is stunning. Congrats.

After crowd sourcing ideas, how did you end up communicating paint color to the builder? Specific PPG code or other automotive paint? Or, was it more "make it look like this..."
Old 09-11-2018, 08:35 PM

Thanks all! I really like this thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delish View Post
The Crater Lake Blue is stunning. Congrats.

After crowd sourcing ideas, how did you end up communicating paint color to the builder? Specific PPG code or other automotive paint? Or, was it more "make it look like this..."
I just said I wanted Gios blue. I love the way it turned out.