Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
I'm using the Effetto Mariposa remover to try and get the old glue off a pair of bora's, before switching to tape, but it's tedious!
the remover works quite well, but sometimes you have to give it a couple rounds. apply it generously, wait a couple days, scrape off everything you can. apply more if needed, wait another couple days, etc... it shouldn't require a lot of elbow grease. and I have yet to need more than two rounds of it (second one is usually pretty light too). even with a cyclocross glue job.

after the second round, I'll usually hit it with De-Solv-It "Contractors Solvent." works MUCH better than Goo Gone in my experience. then make sure to clean it well and hit it with acetone before trying to apply glue or tape or anything.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:25 AM

I know this is a zombie thread that I already posted in so I'm probably repeating myself but....

I did the so called Belgian method some years back and that was the only time I ever rolled a tubular in Cross races. I just use glue, and LOTS of it. Mastik One is my choice.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I know this is a zombie thread that I already posted in so I'm probably repeating myself but....

I did the so called Belgian method some years back and that was the only time I ever rolled a tubular in Cross races. I just use glue, and LOTS of it. Mastik One is my choice.
mee too and....mee too.....
Old 08-21-2019, 10:39 AM

Somewhere on the Effetto Mariposa site I saw a reference to using something to seal the edges with something to keep water out. Saw it like two days ago but can't find it now.

My tubular use is roads in the dry so I've had no issues. Just got in more tape yesterday to do another set.

I will note that I am a relative tape NOOB. First set was done by a very trusted local shop and I discussed the gluing/taping issue with the owner. He discussed this tape in great depth and it is what they do for the race teams they support. He claimed it's not caused them any problems. It's also what he's running on his road bike and he's a pretty big, strong guy compared to me.

Last edited by jamesdak; 08-21-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I did the so called Belgian method some years back and that was the only time I ever rolled a tubular in Cross races.
REALLY!?! that's shocking. it's quite a bond. I mean, the six layers of glue don't hurt, but adding CX tape in there really takes it to the next level. I'd imagine that if you rolled that, you would've rolled a glue-only tire as well.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
the remover works quite well, but sometimes you have to give it a couple rounds. apply it generously, wait a couple days, scrape off everything you can. apply more if needed, wait another couple days, etc... it shouldn't require a lot of elbow grease. and I have yet to need more than two rounds of it (second one is usually pretty light too). even with a cyclocross glue job.

after the second round, I'll usually hit it with De-Solv-It "Contractors Solvent." works MUCH better than Goo Gone in my experience. then make sure to clean it well and hit it with acetone before trying to apply glue or tape or anything.
Will probably have to skip the De-Solv-It contractors solvent as we can't get it here in Oz. We can only get their citrus degreaser.

I find with the Effetto remover that there is an "optimum" time for removing it after applying. If you leave it on too short (a few hours), it won't have softened the glue. Leave it on too long (a day or so), and it crusts up and scrapes off into a messy pink dust. After 8 or so hours it turns into a tooth-paste-like consistency and has done a good job of absorbing the glue, then can be worked off with a popsicle stick. No dust that way. It just takes a lot of elbow grease, but the rim looks like new.

Once all glue is gone, I'll give it a wipe down with acetone to remove any trace amounts.

NB: Gotta be careful with getting that effetto remover on the decals - it'll work right through them!
Old 11-26-2019, 01:03 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Adding my $.02 here after a great experience with this stuff.

Used alloy rims, Brand new tubular, and I took my time to remove all the old glue and also went with the Effetto Primer. I followed the directions and even went as far as moving a space heater into my bike room to keep the temp above 70 for 24 hours while the glue did it's thing.

Overall, half a season of racing on a newly taped rear (front glue is still good) and I have zero complaints. Mud, hills, off-camber, you name it the tire is solid and pressures have been nice and low. The only things I was disappointed in were: 1.) the roll of tape is only good for one wheel. and 2.) the primer I received looked half full even though it was brand new.

Pics:

Old 04-21-2020, 07:42 PM
Whoa, Nellie!

This is a along shot, but does anyone know what the shelf-life is for this tape? I have 2 rolls that have been in the garage for ~18 months. And it's pretty dry here in SW Colorado. Should I be concerned about the adhesive drying out, or any other age-related malady? Or is it still good to go?
Old 04-21-2020, 08:35 PM

I've been very pleased with the Effetto Mariposa tape on my road bike. 25mm Vittoria Corsa G+ Speed tubs are great to ride and zero adhesion issues. I cleaned the rims with the Effetto cleaner as well and they looked as if a tub had never been glued to them.

A trick I learned that you all probably already know - is that I leave the space opposite the valve stem untaped. Almost but not quite the width between the two spokes. This gives me a narrow window to start removing the tub if I flat while out on a ride.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchasse View Post
This is a along shot, but does anyone know what the shelf-life is for this tape? I have 2 rolls that have been in the garage for ~18 months. And it's pretty dry here in SW Colorado. Should I be concerned about the adhesive drying out, or any other age-related malady? Or is it still good to go?
Jchasse,
I live in Colorado Springs had have a couple of rolls big enough for about 8 rims. They are about 18 months old...no issues at all. I recently taped up a couple of new tires to replace a couple well worn tires.

I imagine the tape will be perfect for quite some time as long as it isn't exposed to prolonged exposure to direct sunlight while in storage.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Tags
carogna, tubular tape