Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2015, 09:38 AM

I've had issues with Vittoria's sticking in the past and now lightly scuff the base tape with sandpaper, then clean with acetone.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:37 AM

Another update- I rode a flat (had some air in it, maybe 4psi) rear tire most of a lap today and the tape held.

Seems like the general conclusion is that it *can* work really well, at least.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:38 PM
kg

Yeah, there are enough positive reports that it clearly works for the vast majority of users. I'm really perplexed about what could have gone wrong in my case.

As it turns out, not even my beautiful tubulars could have saved me in today's race. Also perplexed about that -- my numbers were lower than my standard Saturday training ride and temps were lower but I cramped badly and finished sad and alone.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Have no idea what went wrong either but from the list above..how is this 'easier' than just gluing the things on the 'old fashioned' way.
for road, I wouldn't say that it is any easier than just a layer of glue on tire/rim and slapping together. for cross, it's definitely easier than three coats on each surface, plus tape, plus time, not to mention the nightmare of cleaning all of that off later...

did my first cross race on a set this past weekend, and I've got a couple practices into them as well. I'm not the hardest cornering guy for sure but in the race there were two uphill off-camber 180's that put a good deal of sideways stress on the tires. plus four wet sand pits. no issues so far.

wanted to mention too that I've actually taped a second set now with wider rims where I needed to trim the backing tape (the above set was the narrower tape, that I didn't have to trim) and I can echo what chrispino said: be very careful when trimming it that you don't leave little strands under the base tape which could be ripped when peeling back the backing. I ended up just cutting the glue away on the second tire and leaving the backing tape alone so it couldn't tear.

sucks that kgreene10's experience was so bad, but so far so good here (fingers crossed).
Old 09-18-2015, 03:34 PM

Another update:

Had 2 insanely wet and muddy races last weekend (not me)

Bike and tires were soaked all day, both days, and has 2 full on power washes.
Ran about 21-22psi both days. No problems at all.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:18 PM
Imshi Cycles

Just rode my first race on taped tires today, super dry but enough weighted/off camber/downhill cornering to judge its hold on the tire/rim. two thumbs up.

A couple tips for installation:

1 - when you pull back a little backing tape prior to mounting the tire, fold the tape over ON THE SAME SIDE OF THE WHEEL, not on opposing sides, otherwise you have to pull it completely under the tire which can dislodge the glue in that spot.

2 - be very careful when peeling the backing tape out...I ripped it several times on one wheel...it was tricky to fish it out and restart the peel while keeping the tire straight on the rim. Thankfully it was a Clement tire (impossible to mount crooked), had it been something floppy and cotton, that tread would be real crooked right now.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:09 PM
kg

An update on my failed attempt to get the tape to work. It took a while to get in touch with the US distributor, Cantitoe Road, but that's probably because they were on the road to Interbike.

When I called back the very nice person who answered took my info and within 15 mins, I was on the phone with the owner calling me from the trade show floor. He took my story over to the owner of Effeto Mariposa who was also at Interbike.

They were both perplexed by the outcome I experienced given the steps I took. It sounds like I'll likely get another call early next week as they puzzle through it.

I'm VERY impressed that these guys took my story seriously and made the time while at a major trade show to communicate with me. I'll update again after I hear back. I suspect they will send me a couple new rolls of tape and I'll try again.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:43 AM

This stuff sounds god sent. I'm going to try it out on my new set of tubular wheels. If it proves better than Tufo Tape, I'll never go back to gluing again and all of my wheels will be Tubular wheels.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:42 AM
PezTech

Just saw this thread...

Zero issues for me.

I honestly think that prep is the biggest issue. There are difference in tire casings and rims that mean people should be taking a little more time to prep... If there is residue on the rim or the coating on the tire casing, the tape can potentially have issues that Glue will mask.

I had no issues at all with either Conti or Vittoria...

And I didn't get any place close to setting thermostats etc...

I cleaned the crap out of the rims and scuffed the base tape a lot and whipped them thoroughly (used several pieces of t shirt until residue was gone from the casing, though I honestly did leave some bits of mastik on the rim)...

Both wet weather and 110 dry and zero issues (running disc brakes and pushing things as well).

They have a rim cleaner now as well and I'm going to give that a try on the next tire swap...
Old 09-21-2015, 03:35 PM
kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles M View Post
Zero issues for me.
And I didn't get any place close to setting thermostats etc...
I'm in Austin, so what I meant was that my home thermostat is set to 81 so that we don't all perish in the heat. That was my way of saying that the glue cured within the temp range specified by Effeto Mariposa.

I've been in e-mail communication with the owner of Effeto Mariposa and Cantitoe Road, the US distributor. Both are very accessible and helpful. My experience remains a mystery, but two new rolls of Carogna are on there way to me with expedited shipping, all for free. Great and responsive customer service is the best.

I should have it by Wed and will let it cure until Fri -- a little extra time. I'll report back then and hopefully will have a set of rock solid tubies to race at States next weekend.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:52 PM

With tape, when you fold over the backing paper I put a pencil under the tub and before the fold so as I peel off the backing tape the pencil raises the tub and makes the seating of it easier and quicker.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
With tape, when you fold over the backing paper I put a pencil under the tub and before the fold so as I peel off the backing tape the pencil raises the tub and makes the seating of it easier and quicker.
wouldnt that move the tire and make the valve crooked by the time you made a full rotation?

Last edited by seanile; 10-18-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:03 PM

My Impressions of Carogna

I love tubulars. I have never really minded the work of gluing, in fact, I used to enjoy it. There is something kinda 'old school' and 'not rushed' about the process (oh well, enough of the maudlin rambling). I have never been as enamored of the glue removal process. I ride carbon tubulars and always like to start with a perfectly clean rim. I ordered the Carogna glue remover. In retrospect, it was better than the acetone and elbow grease. The instructions on the remover say to apply and leave for 2-12 hours. I found I needed to leave it for more like 48. I used the curved end of a tire iron and while it did still take a fair amount of patience (and elbow grease) it worked pretty well! Mounting the tires with the tape was almost too easy. I did have an issue with the rear wheel with the plastic tape which kept breaking. Not a huge deal. Pumped the tires to 140 and let them sit for 24 hours before riding. I think Carogna is onto something here!! I was a little leery to try these with a brand new set of FMB Paris Roubaix Pros, but life's too short to ride crappy tires!!
Old 10-19-2015, 10:32 AM

FYI, I'd recommend periodically inspecting your "glue" job when using this tape. the first set of wheels I taped up were great and I raced 'em twice and practiced on 'em a few times. the bond seemed solid and I could deflate them and push on the tire without being able to start pulling it off. so, no issues. BUT then I hung 'em up and didn't ride 'em for a few weeks (they're challenge chicanes, and I did races those wouldn't work for). I kept them aired up and everything but then one day out of curiosity I deflated one, checked the bond again and was able to easily start peeling the tire away. I pulled it completely off in about three minutes with no tools and without breaking a sweat. same deal on the other wheel. even tires I've pulled that were Tufo taped put up more of a fight! note that these wheels/tires were never powerwashed or anything like that. again, challenge chicanes, so they saw no mud. they were hosed off (as in garden hose) once or twice though. that shouldn't have caused the bond to deteriorate so much though.

I have another wheelset taped up with these that I've only practiced on a couple times and it seems to be holding strong. there's a couple semi-weak areas but nothing like the other tires had. but with how easily those other tires came off, I'm definitely leery of racing them... think I'll hold off for the season and re-glue the tires the tried and true way next year.

how is the tape holding up for everybody else?
Old 10-19-2015, 12:16 PM
Zwevegem4CX

Question Tube Tape Manufacturer differences

Just inherited a set of NOS F.I.R tubulars, and for the past few weeks I've been considering trying the tubular tape (SS DR bike not CX racing) instead of exercising the traditional glue ritual.
After reading through the thread, I ordered some of the Clement tubular tape.
I'm now a bit curious to learn if fellow, taped tubular, riders believe that this tape will function just as well as the Tufo, Velox, Effetto offerings being that they all cost approximately the same amount?

Hmmm...In hindsight, I probably should have posted this earlier

Tags
carogna, tubular tape