Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2013, 02:23 PM

High Mileage love

I got love for high mileage cars. (With bike rack even better)

Looking for what you consider your high mileage car/truck/suv. I want to see pic, year, make, model and mileage count. Go.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:24 PM

1999 Honda Accord

1999 Honda Accord with 210,090
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Honda.JPG (140.1 KB, 788 views)
Old 06-07-2013, 02:44 PM
That guy..

Gotta dig up pictures. My first car was a 1991 Acura Legend. If anyone knows ..these Japanese cars last forever. Sold her when she was shy of 350k km's.
Original motor, tranny. No rust. No major issues. Miss her i'll find a picture hah

Found !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 428_97651220045_2958_n.jpg (67.6 KB, 777 views)
Old 06-07-2013, 02:51 PM

Just picked this up from a friend 144k miles. It replaced a 98 Accord with 167k that never cost me a dime. They both wore the same roof rack.

Here is the accord.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Pic taken yesterday:

'97 Integra, 257,xxx miles, everything original except radiator and a few steering linkage parts.

Should I keep it another winter, or sell it?

Old 06-07-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
HA. It's funny what we tell/ask ourselves isn't it? For the past three or four years I've told myself "Ya know, if this thing lasts till the first of the year i'll reward myself with a new car"..........and each Jan 1 I just can't justify it.

It's becomming a sick game to see how far i can get out of this thing.

Last edited by azrider; 06-07-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cabletwitch View Post

Just picked this up from a friend 144k miles. It replaced a 98 Accord with 167k that never cost me a dime. They both wore the same roof rack.

Here is the accord.

If the cooling system in the BMW has 100,000 miles on it you really need to have an experienced wrench check it for you because the radiator, water pump, thermostat and housing can all fail at any time after 70,000 miles and/or 5 years. Due to recycling requirements in Germany and other political influences on design the radiators are aluminum and plastic rather than brass and they just don't last. If you don't catch a failure very quickly and shut off your engine you will at least ruin your cylinder head and maybe more. A good independent shop will probably be a lot cheaper than a dealer for these repairs. It's a good thing 3 series are fun to drive isn't it?
Old 06-07-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
If the cooling system in the BMW has 100,000 miles on it you really need to have an experienced wrench check it for you because the radiator, water pump, thermostat and housing can all fail at any time after 70,000 miles and/or 5 years. Due to recycling requirements in Germany and other political influences on design the radiators are aluminum and plastic rather than brass and they just don't last. If you don't catch a failure very quickly and shut off your engine you will at least ruin your cylinder head and maybe more. A good independent shop will probably be a lot cheaper than a dealer for these repairs. It's a good thing 3 series are fun to drive isn't it?

I'm pretty positive the car has had the coolant system taken care of I bought it from a friend who bought it 3 years ago with 109k and she bought it from the original owner who had it maintained religiously at the dealer. The other positive is that it is an electric fan model which takes the weight of the fan off the water pump. Everything looks good right now in the cooling system so I'm just going to keep an eye on it. Right now I have everything sitting in my office to replace the Valve cover gasket and rebuild the Vanos as soon as I have a free afternoon. This winter I also plan to pull the trans and put a new clutch and fix the sticky 5th gear issue. I'm pretty familiar with BMWs my brother has had a few and a good friend collects classics he has a 2800cs, 2002tii, E30 M3, Z1, Z4, and a 335i sedan on order. Luckily I have the facilities and the know how to tackle pretty much anything aside from computer programing. Its the main reason I got rid of the Honda and got the BMW I like to tinker and the Honda never needed anything.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Keep.

My favorite car ever was an '89 Acura Legend coupe with a 5-speed manual. Had to sell the 2-door when we had our second daughter, so we replaced it with a Honda Odyssey minivan. The Odyssey did its job just fine...but I still miss my Acura.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:00 PM

I put 356k on a '85 Honda accord. Replaced the fuel pump and rebuilt the carb were the only non wear items repaired or replaced. Sold it for a solid $500.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
I put 356k on a '85 Honda accord. Replaced the fuel pump and rebuilt the carb were the only non wear items repaired or replaced. Sold it for a solid $500.
Manual or automatic? Did the clutch really last that long? And the muffler? And the rings? Wow.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cabletwitch View Post
I'm pretty positive the car has had the coolant system taken care of I bought it from a friend who bought it 3 years ago with 109k and she bought it from the original owner who had it maintained religiously at the dealer. The other positive is that it is an electric fan model which takes the weight of the fan off the water pump. Everything looks good right now in the cooling system so I'm just going to keep an eye on it. Right now I have everything sitting in my office to replace the Valve cover gasket and rebuild the Vanos as soon as I have a free afternoon. This winter I also plan to pull the trans and put a new clutch and fix the sticky 5th gear issue. I'm pretty familiar with BMWs my brother has had a few and a good friend collects classics he has a 2800cs, 2002tii, E30 M3, Z1, Z4, and a 335i sedan on order. Luckily I have the facilities and the know how to tackle pretty much anything aside from computer programing. Its the main reason I got rid of the Honda and got the BMW I like to tinker and the Honda never needed anything.
Your car has surely had the cooling system done at least once but it could be due again soon. The water pumps usually start to leak a bit before they fail and the cards have coolant level monitors so you usually get some warning about a failing water pump. The thermostat housing and the connector between the radiator and the overflow tank are plastic. After years of heat cycles the plastic gets brittle and often fails with no warning so your coolant blows out pretty quickly. There are aftermarket METAL housings that can take care of that weak point. There are aftermarket repair kits for the radiator connector problem but opinions are mixed on whether that is a real long-term fix or just a band-aid temporary fix. At my good friends independent BMW shop he stocks all the cooling system components because he replaces a lot of the every month.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Serotta Red

Location: Leawood, KS- It is in Kansas City, July west tisbury October tucson
Yukon Xl Denali

235k miles when it was traded
Record for most bikes 7 and 7 passengers To Hotter N Hell
With the Hook and the Rocket Box

Just Change tires and Oil

75mph average at 17.2 mpg
SN# HC-54-265

Last edited by godfrey1112000; 08-17-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:17 PM

its shouldn't be that hard to get some real miles out of a car if you do some routine maintenance

its also pretty easy to kill a car in a small amount of miles if you don't do some of the most simple maintenance

the odometer in my 86 gti stopped at 99k, some dude had it and he autocrossed it, some teenager probably had it before that
i got it and drove it for a few years (not many miles because i bike commuted for years), i've finally done some stuff to it and it's pretty damn reliable still, 6 years later.
it still had the original clutch in it, and the original water pump on it.

its not pretty but it runs strong (for what it is) and it's pretty damn fun to drive, plus it doesn't cost much at all.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:05 AM

2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL-SR, 145K miles. Purchased in April of 2005 as a new 2006 model. I have two Inno bike racks that attach to the factory crossbars if I need to put bikes up top, but most of the time my bike goes in the back seat.

This truck helped build decks, move my kids to college and back, does the weekly dump runs, and is my race vehicle. It is great for race duty as the split rear seat makes for a great changing room. Other than brakes, tires and oil/ATF/VTM/filter changes, it has had the 105K major maintenance. That's it. This truck defines reliability.

Early on I installed a SQ sound system in it. Damping material on all interior metal surfaces including the outer door panels. Touchscreen receiver with GPS, Bluetooth, Sirius, iPod, DVD, USB, wheel controls, analog TV (no digital yet), rear cam. External DSP. 2KW. Underseat subs. This is the business end.