Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 09-17-2015, 04:29 PM

I just bought of piece of history – my own.

I recently stumbled on the opportunity to own a frame that I built back in my Serotta Coors Light days and I couldn’t resist picking it up. The gentleman that owned it gave me a very good deal and was pleased that it was, in an indirect way, coming home. I spent 10 years working at Serotta and sadly don’t have a single bike I built during that time and this nicely corrects that issue. A big thank you to its previous caretaker for putting it in my hands.

This frame would have been built in 1990 I believe based on the single bend chainstays and tubes used and it if course is sporting the seriously loud Coors Light paint scheme of the time. It’s built with Serotta tapered Colorado tubes and an oversize top tube that you can see is lugged and fillet brazed because lugs of the proper size didn’t exist at this point. Today folks like to call this “Bi-lam” construction but at the time it was done for the purely pragmatic reason that we needed to get the tubes hooked together and didn’t have the lugs we wanted.

I’ll be building it up over time with the idea of doing some historic rides like the Cino Heroica. It should be a fun winter project to get it on the road again. It’s more than a little bit heavier than my current offerings but the fit is pretty close. Should be fun.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:33 PM

Hey Dave,
Congrats on acquiring this frame you built with your own hands a quarter century ago. Even nicer that you plan on riding it.
Do you you plan on building it up "as is", or is some restoration in the works. And, is there a fork accompanying the frame?
Thanks, Gene.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:04 AM

Kirk Frameworks

Awesome!
Old 09-18-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERK55 View Post
Hey Dave,
Congrats on acquiring this frame you built with your own hands a quarter century ago. Even nicer that you plan on riding it.
Do you you plan on building it up "as is", or is some restoration in the works. And, is there a fork accompanying the frame?
Thanks, Gene.
Thanks man -

It did not come with a fork and who knows where the original is at this point. I'll be building a new fork for it and Kelly Bedford has an original crown that's been sitting for decades just waiting for a special need so it will be as original as can be.

A huge thank you to Kelly!

dave
Old 09-18-2015, 10:57 AM

Super cool Dave. Didn't you build a frame a coupe years ago that got a paint job inspired by the Coors team livery?
Old 09-18-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs5000 View Post
Super cool Dave. Didn't you build a frame a coupe years ago that got a paint job inspired by the Coors team livery?
Yes - it was for Brendan who was the founder and owner at the time of Competitive Cyclist. He tells me it gets more miles than any other of all the bikes he owns. I love that.

dave
Old 09-20-2015, 05:35 PM
Vendor

Are you thinking of going period correct on the components? Threaded/threadless fork? Be sure to post a ride report!!
Old 09-21-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
Are you thinking of going period correct on the components? Threaded/threadless fork? Be sure to post a ride report!!
Yes - I'd like to go period correct on the parts and thus will be using a threaded fork and quill stem. Should be fun.

dave
Old 09-21-2015, 03:57 PM

Dave -- That's awesome that Kelly had an original fork crown for you to use. I know some of these had an "S" or "Colorado" engraved on the top. Do you know what would have been used on the fork for this frame?
Old 09-21-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Dave -- That's awesome that Kelly had an original fork crown for you to use. I know some of these had an "S" or "Colorado" engraved on the top. Do you know what would have been used on the fork for this frame?
You know......this could sound funny and like we didn't really sweat the details but we used what we had. I'm sure most had the Colorado and the S but some were blank and in other cases a different style crown altogether was used.

I know these bikes are coveted now by some but at the time they were disposable race bikes - tools if you will. I put my heart into them and made them as good as I could but it was more important to get the thing out the door and under the rider than it was to make it look a certain way.

That said I'm very pleased to be able to build the new fork with a crown befitting the frame - thanks once again to Kelly for offering the one he had to me.

dave
Old 09-21-2015, 04:18 PM

Dave -- Makes sense to me. I didn't know if the different engravings went on different frames at that time.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Dave -- Makes sense to me. I didn't know if the different engravings went on different frames at that time.
I don't think it changed. At the time we had fewer models than later on and I recall it changed but at that time it may have been just one.

dave
Old 09-21-2015, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
It痴 more than a little bit heavier than my current offerings but the fit is pretty close. Should be fun.
dave - i followed this cool story in the thread in the general section, and think it's very cool! happy that you found this and the deal worked out, looking forward to your final product.

question: what is to account for the weight reduction in the current models? thinner, modern tubes? other? curious.

cheers.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
dave - i followed this cool story in the thread in the general section, and think it's very cool! happy that you found this and the deal worked out, looking forward to your final product.

question: what is to account for the weight reduction in the current models? thinner, modern tubes? other? curious.

cheers.
Good Question -

The weight of most everything from the castings to the dropouts has come down a good bit but the big chunk comes from the tubing. This old Serotta most likely used what was thin walled tubing of the time. I'd guess the wall thickness to be .9/.7/.9 on the main tubes and the chain and seat stays are probably in the .9 - 1.0 mm wall range.

Over time the alloys of steel have gotten so much stronger that the tubes can now be MUCH thinner while still retaining the strength needed to be life-time safe. The main tubes I use on my bikes now are typically.55/.35/.55 thick and the seat stays aren't .9 but are .65 instead. Chainstays aren't 1.0 but are .7. This is a rough reduction of 20% to 40% in wall thickness and therefore weight. The same type reductions can be found in fork blades and steerers as well.

Add to this the fact that the castings such as BB shells and lugs are also now thinner and smaller and that my Triple F dropouts are as light as a drop can really get and the framesets are that much lighter.......and........they ride better as the thinner walls damp vibration better. It's a win-win if ever there was one.

Your question is interesting to me because I often hear folks say "I owned a steel bike in 1995 and it was a tank - why would I want one of those again?" The thing is most good builders wouldn't offer you anything like the bike that was built 20 years ago. Time goes on and the bikes aren't anything like what they were then. Steel has changed and for the better is a huge way. Good stuff.

dave
Old 09-22-2015, 09:43 AM

Kirk Frameworks

Awesome background info!