Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2019, 05:29 AM

I once filled a plastic roller with sand. It added a lot of inertia but had too much resistance so it wouldn't stay spun up. I removed the sand pretty quickly. Sport Crafters sells a heavier roller up grade for their rollers.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:44 AM

What about the old folded up towel under the roller?
Old 08-18-2019, 07:30 AM

Fill it with BBs.
I have no idea if that would accomplish anything desirable or not, but am curious of the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2019, 08:31 AM

In the 80s when I was racing a lot, and riding the turbo in the winter months, I built a specific rear wheel for indoor training. I laced an aero tub rim to an old hub, and then filled the inside of the rim with lead buckshot. Then I glued a tub to the rim and away I went. When I stopped pedaling, the wheel would roll out for a long time. It completely changed the dynamic of turbo training.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:12 AM

The Insideride rollers I picked up have a magnetic resistance that you can adjust. Can't adjust while you're riding, but I suspect that could be done with a lawn mower type throttle cable. Might look into that as riding season winds down.

The Insideride rollers are very well made and work quite well. It's nice to ride different bikes on the rollers and not have to "install" the bike each time - just set it on the rollers and go.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo_fighter View Post
I once filled a plastic roller with sand. It added a lot of inertia but had too much resistance so it wouldn't stay spun up. I removed the sand pretty quickly. Sport Crafters sells a heavier roller up grade for their rollers.
Ok so it's already been done. No sense in reinventing the wheel. I was looking at the sports crafters, have you tried them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
In the 80s when I was racing a lot, and riding the turbo in the winter months, I built a specific rear wheel for indoor training. I laced an aero tub rim to an old hub, and then filled the inside of the rim with lead buckshot. Then I glued a tub to the rim and away I went. When I stopped pedaling, the wheel would roll out for a long time. It completely changed the dynamic of turbo training.
Haha! Brilliant!
Old 08-22-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Never thought of that. Pretty smart. I bet it works well to counter that instant deceleration you feel on most trainers. THIS seems like the thing to try! Wonder if it's noisy?
Old 08-22-2019, 12:26 PM

I haven't tried the sport craft rollers..since I have a set of TruTrainers now.

BTW, there is another method, which is to use something like the Stac Zero Wheel weights:
https://www.staczero.com/upgrade

Also maybe fill your tube with water.

Lastly, speaking of roller upgrades, this rotating fork idea seems kind of cool:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/08/...k-rollers.html
Could probably be built with a fork mount on a lazy-susan bearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Ok so it's already been done. No sense in reinventing the wheel. I was looking at the sports crafters, have you tried them?

Haha! Brilliant!