Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2019, 09:19 AM

Look KG196 Pista / Track

Hello my forum Friends,

I want to pick your brain (again) and hope you can push me in the right direction. I bought the below KG196 that is in bad condition. The serial number is 16211 or 18211, its hard to read. The steer-post is also different and it has some strange “chunks” out of the frame. I would love to get some more information of the bike and his original configuration so I maybe can restore it.

Seller mention that the rider was Tatyana Enyukhina but I can’t find anything about her. I take all the help I can get.

Thank you in advance for your reply and have a great day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Look Frame.jpg (149.9 KB, 186 views)
Old 08-19-2019, 06:34 PM

The steerer tube looks different, probably because it accepts a bayonet style fork. Getting one of those may be difficult. I'm no Look expert and probably not much help, but I did a quick study of Google images and there are a number of track and TT builds to view and pull details from. I also found this, hope it helps. Good luck with the restoration, let us know how it goes!
Old 08-19-2019, 08:29 PM

Remember seeing one of those forks at ebay a few days ago, but no idea if it was the road or the track version.

Wonder how hard could be to build the fork my mod another one.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:11 PM

Would make sweet wall art if the resto falls thru.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:58 PM

I thought the "chunk" out of the frame might have been where the rear brake was mounted for the road TT bike -- but then I googled "Look KG196" and found that wasn't the case. So I don't know what's going on with that.

The front fork, though, was indeed a front-mount style. Here's an example of a complete frame, from our own @Spaceman3: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=199017.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNdeed View Post
The steerer tube looks different, probably because it accepts a bayonet style fork. Getting one of those may be difficult. I'm no Look expert and probably not much help, but I did a quick study of Google images and there are a number of track and TT builds to view and pull details from. I also found this, hope it helps. Good luck with the restoration, let us know how it goes!
Thank you for your reply, I get more and more signals that this could be a re-build Look KG196 TT bike but it’s still unclear.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Remember seeing one of those forks at ebay a few days ago, but no idea if it was the road or the track version.

Wonder how hard could be to build the fork my mod another one.
Thanks, I bought that one, I hope it fits!
Old 08-20-2019, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
Would make sweet wall art if the resto falls thru.
Your are right, expensive wall art
Old 08-20-2019, 09:05 AM

I worked in a shop that sold these, and had a couple friends buy and ride them.
The main Look kg196 was a road bike. Look made a more aero-ish version with a deeper DT later on. It was available in road and track versions. The bikes were all made by TST, or some little French company. There were a number of variants, some with crazy aerofoil sections behind the seat and under the BB.

I don't recall seeing one with a section sawed out of the seat tube, as yours appears to have. Have any more pics of that area?
Old 08-20-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post
I worked in a shop that sold these, and had a couple friends buy and ride them.
The main Look kg196 was a road bike. Look made a more aero-ish version with a deeper DT later on. It was available in road and track versions. The bikes were all made by TST, or some little French company. There were a number of variants, some with crazy aerofoil sections behind the seat and under the BB.

I don't recall seeing one with a section sawed out of the seat tube, as yours appears to have. Have any more pics of that area?

TST?

Do you mean TVT? The company was small also but very well known for their know how in carbon frames. They sold their frames TVT92 and TVT92 HM. These frames were used by many pros (also Indurain) during the TdF etc...Look acquired later much of their know how as they hired some ex TVT employees etc...
Old 08-21-2019, 07:44 AM

That doesn't look like a factory finish does it? What would be the purpose of someone doing that?
snip:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post

Tags
kg196, pista, track