Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2019, 10:38 AM

SPOT satellite tracker/SOS device

Does anyone have experience with or recommendations for a satellite tracker/SOS device, such as a SPOT Gen3?

I am thinking of picking up a device for extra security for very rural adventures that often go beyond cell-coverage, mainly as an SOS for the worst case and as a tracker for my family's peace of mind. I feel comfortable and prepared (experience, tools, food, space blanket, first aid, etc) way out there, but stuff happens.

Is the this basic SPOT unit a good one? What else should I look for in a device/service?
https://www.rei.com/product/860469/s...-gps-messenger

Instagram
Old 08-20-2019, 11:48 AM

Garmin Inreach user here.

It has made adventures I would otherwise never do possible. Solo backpacking, MTB off the grid, etc.

It allows custom emailing or SMS messaging, straight from the device. I pay the $24.95/month fee for 40 messages, they are $.10c after that. A simple check in with family and work is priceless for my peace of mind out there. That, and knowing I have the SOS button for a worst case scenario. After knowing what they are, I see them frequently on the trail with other users. You can even message device to device. These units have saved lives.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:04 PM

I have an inreach for horseback use in emergencies. I would suggest that you look into buying a lightly used Delorme inreach-same device before the buyout by garmin, and much less money.
The spot device gets meh reviews. I don't have any personal experience.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:06 PM

FYI, here is some nice info on what happens when one of these devices is used.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:54 PM

I use an InReach while backpacking, but that's mostly for my wife's peace of mind.

I did once use it to get a recommendation of how to work on a stalled Suburban deep in Death Valley, which saved me a $4000-$5000 tow truck call. So it's easily paid for itself in that regard.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:11 PM

There’s not much better to illustrate the effectiveness of trackers than the story a few weeks ago of the guy who stranded his Jeep in Oregon and was rescued by an adventure cyclist with a Spot.

Big time cautionary tale with a happy ending thanks to a prepared rider with an SOS device.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:42 PM

Depends what you want.. the gold standard is a NOAA PLB (I carry the ACR ResQlink) - but these are really for "I am going to die" situations.

I am personally not a fan of the Spot or the "hobby" trackers if there's a risk of death involved. Plus the PLBs last 6+ years with no recharging/service, so you know it is gonna be there when you really really need it.

The ideal combination would probably be carrying a PLB + InReach sat phone for non-life threatening scenarios.

Personally I just carry the PLB, and let my wife know to send help if I'm wildly off schedule.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

I’ve also been using a PLB for the last decade. However, since I started on our local search and rescue team last year I’ve changed my mind.
One SAR deputy has several stories of it taking up to 6 hours from activation until the local SAR teams get a message that someone needs help. Then, it’s obviously several more hours before a team is mobilized and can get to the subject.
The SPOT seems better, the in reach is even better and a satellite phone is even better but it’s heavy and expensive . I’m looking at what happens with the combined in reach/Garmin gps combo. I think it’s the gpsmap66 but it’s fairly large and hasn’t had all the bugs worked out.
Right now I use Gaia as my gps platform and don’t go out solo so I don’t worry about having an in-reach.
Our SAR team uses the garmin 64 for wayfinding but we do have a couple SPOTS as radio reception can be difficult in some areas.
So if you were going to get a unit today I’d try to find a used in-reach as someone suggested.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I’ve also been using a PLB for the last decade. However, since I started on our local search and rescue team last year I’ve changed my mind.
One SAR deputy has several stories of it taking up to 6 hours from activation until the local SAR teams get a message that someone needs help. Then, it’s obviously several more hours before a team is mobilized and can get to the subject.
The SPOT seems better, the in reach is even better and a satellite phone is even better but it’s heavy and expensive . I’m looking at what happens with the combined in reach/Garmin gps combo. I think it’s the gpsmap66 but it’s fairly large and hasn’t had all the bugs worked out.
Right now I use Gaia as my gps platform and don’t go out solo so I don’t worry about having an in-reach.
Our SAR team uses the garmin 64 for wayfinding but we do have a couple SPOTS as radio reception can be difficult in some areas.
So if you were going to get a unit today I’d try to find a used in-reach as someone suggested.
Another advantage of the inreach is that it pairs with both android and apple ios. Can't call, but can text from phone or best yet it keeps gps etc working where there's no service.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:59 PM

Just got my an inreach and so far it has been great. The ability to communicate with her through texts is what sold me on it.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:32 PM

Reviving this discussion to see if there are any updates from users. I am moving to an even more rural area than where I live now and from my visits there I know that cell coverage is spotty to non-existent.

Currently, I use a cell phone with the Glympse app so that my wife can track my ride and to know if I am not moving and there is no nearly coffee shop or brewery. Given some health issues I have, it is comforting for her to know my location and to see that I am riding. I suppose having some texting capabilities would be good, but if I am not moving a text may be no good.

It seems the Garmin Inreach, some version of the Spot, or maybe some other device will be important for peach of mind. Any current users of these satellite based devices have an update? Are there others to consider that make sense for road cyclists in areas without cell service?
Old 02-25-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
Reviving this discussion to see if there are any updates from users. I am moving to an even more rural area than where I live now and from my visits there I know that cell coverage is spotty to non-existent.

Currently, I use a cell phone with the Glympse app so that my wife can track my ride and to know if I am not moving and there is no nearly coffee shop or brewery. Given some health issues I have, it is comforting for her to know my location and to see that I am riding. I suppose having some texting capabilities would be good, but if I am not moving a text may be no good.

It seems the Garmin Inreach, some version of the Spot, or maybe some other device will be important for peach of mind. Any current users of these satellite based devices have an update? Are there others to consider that make sense for road cyclists in areas without cell service?
I still love my inreach. Some folks like the bivystick, b/c you can turn the subscription on and off each use, but I don't like the fact that it doesn't function without a working linked phone, as mine might well be crushed by the the fall i need the device for.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:35 PM

I had a SPOT. I felt it was a bit of a ripoff with the subscription fees.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:45 PM
n - 1

I’d personally go with an Inreach with the Freedom plan since I don’t go way out the sticks that often. Maybe 3 times a year from cell coverage and regular traffic.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:08 PM
Riding Along

Inreach user here. I have used it all over the globe and it has been excellent. You can suspend the subscription during your off season with no penalty. I also have an iridium sat phone and rarely use it now that I have the in reach.