Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 07-18-2019, 01:56 PM
ColonelJLloyd ColonelJLloyd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Louisville
Posts: 4,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
50lbs? thats almost 3 of my bikes yo
My empty Thule 699 Round Trip case weighs 37lbs.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 07-18-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-18-2019, 02:09 PM
dbnm dbnm is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,781
That's the point.

The bike case weighs 30+ pounds. So add a 17 pound and you're very close to be over the limit and paying a "handling fee".
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-18-2019, 02:37 PM
FlashUNC's Avatar
FlashUNC FlashUNC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 12,093
This clearly advantages soft cases like Post Carry, Orucase and PikaPackworks.

If I'm a hard case owner manufacturer I can't be too thrilled about it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-18-2019, 09:19 PM
CaptStash's Avatar
CaptStash CaptStash is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,718
I think that Delta in particular has been feeling the heat from Alaska. Alaska did this about two years ago, and they are in a pitched battle with Delta for traffic out of Seatac. So far Alaska has been kicking their ass allover the West Coast. I am betting that United will likely have to follow.

CaptStash....
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-18-2019, 09:40 PM
joosttx's Avatar
joosttx joosttx is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Larkspur, Ca
Posts: 4,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptStash View Post
I think that Delta in particular has been feeling the heat from Alaska. Alaska did this about two years ago, and they are in a pitched battle with Delta for traffic out of Seatac. So far Alaska has been kicking their ass allover the West Coast. I am betting that United will likely have to follow.

CaptStash....
Interesting. Alaska and Delta use to be pretty close partners. If you had a sky club you could always use the Alaska club.
__________________
***IG: mttamgrams***
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-18-2019, 09:44 PM
CaptStash's Avatar
CaptStash CaptStash is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Interesting. Alaska and Delta use to be pretty close partners. If you had a sky club you could always use the Alaska club.
Yep. They had a bad divorce when Delta tried to horn in on Seattle - Alaska's home turf. It was ugly. Now Alaska is loosely aligned with American, but they had to cut that back too when they bought Virgin America. The American Admiral's clubs are really nice though.

CaptStash....
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-18-2019, 09:45 PM
joosttx's Avatar
joosttx joosttx is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Larkspur, Ca
Posts: 4,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptStash View Post
Yep. They had a bad divorce when Delta tried to horn in on Seattle - Alaska's home turf. It was ugly. Now Alaska is loosely aligned with American, but they had to cut that back too when they bought Virgin America. The American Admiral's clubs are really nice though.

CaptStash....
How things change.... especially in the airline biz.
__________________
***IG: mttamgrams***
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-18-2019, 11:02 PM
shinomaster's Avatar
shinomaster shinomaster is offline
commuter racer
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stumptown
Posts: 9,064
Ok, So I might fly home to Elmira NY see my dad with my bike on Delta.. is this on all flight routs?
__________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-19-2019, 06:32 AM
fa63's Avatar
fa63 fa63 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,364
I am pretty sure it is on all routes.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-05-2019, 11:12 AM
delish delish is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 79
I've got a quick trip on Delta this week and thinking about packing a road bike in an old Trico Ironcase.

If I'm reading the fine print correctly as long as: 1) the flight was booked after July 17th (it was); 2) the case is below 115" length + width + height (it is); and 3) it does not exceed 50 lbs (this one may be close), then I should only have to pay the standard $30 checked bag fee.

Has anybody actually flown with a bike on Delta since they eliminated the extra bike fees?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-05-2019, 02:27 PM
htwoopup htwoopup is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Mont Tremblant, QC & UES NYC
Posts: 116
Interesting...I was going to ship my bike to San Diego for the 5 days that I am there for the step kid’s graduation via either ship bikes or bike flights.

But now I am thinking of bringing it on Delta (which I am flying anyway)...Only thing is I have a Buxum Tourmalet box which means that I need to change the car reservation so I can fit it in the rental...but it seems that it would still be cheaper.

Just don’t know about dealing with the aluminium box gettting to JFK....


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Jon
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-05-2019, 03:27 PM
seanile's Avatar
seanile seanile is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Slummerville, MA
Posts: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
Interesting...I was going to ship my bike to San Diego for the 5 days that I am there for the step kid’s graduation via either ship bikes or bike flights.

But now I am thinking of bringing it on Delta (which I am flying anyway)...Only thing is I have a Buxum Tourmalet box which means that I need to change the car reservation so I can fit it in the rental...but it seems that it would still be cheaper.

Just don’t know about dealing with the aluminium box gettting to JFK....


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
careful with the weight limit
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.