Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2019, 08:51 PM

Run, run and more run. Why would I consider doing anything else, unless I'm injured ?

I do try and climb the Verdugo Mtn. fireroads once a week on my Potts 29er. Often though, I don't get to it and take a day totally off. At 66, my running seems to benefit more from the day off then grinding up the mountain.

If we had gravel roads that were flat to rolling hills here in LA, I'm certain I'd be on the bike more.

Also try and get to the gym a few times a month. It's free now with the Medicare Silver Sneakers program. You'd think I'd go more often but after a 7-8 mile run, I'm more wiped then even five, six years ago. Again my legs feel more fresh with the time off, as opposed to piling on extra stuff during the day. All through my 50s it wasn't a problem. Things changed a couple years in to my 60s though. It's all about recovery now.

I stretch and do self massage/trigger point a lot. I feel that keeps me in the game more then any crosstraining right now.

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 08-01-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:33 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanile View Post
other things that don't fit the bill entirely that i've considered:
  • lifting (indoors, boring, no cardio, tough on joints, need membership)
Since rowing has already been mentioned (and ruled out), I thought I'd suggest something else I've been doing regularly for a bit over a year, and offer a few alternative ideas:

Kettlebells

1) No, they aren't as much fun as cycling outside, but they're way better than riding inside.

2) They aren't boring, because you can do a huge variety of different exercises. One can easily create a 60-90 minute workout routine and not ever feel bored.

3) I defy anyone to tell me that something like a Turkish Get Up isn't both a strength and a cardio exercise. And it certainly isn't hard on your joints - in fact it isn't nearly as hard on your joints as cycling is on my knees.

4) You really don't need a membership to do this, just invest in a few yoga mats for the floor, and some pairs of KB's and you're good to go.

I couldn't even come close to what this woman can do - a TGU using well over half her body weight:

https://youtu.be/TGfbovA8LwM

Last edited by Louis; 08-01-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:15 PM

I crashed hard two years ago. Since then, I have spent a ton of time in the gym (I've gained about 20 pounds), earned my black belt in Taekwondo (did it as an adolescent and needed to "finish") and now I do Jiu Jitsu with my 16-year-old daughter. I'm just getting back to riding 3 days a week.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:39 PM

Kettlebells, where I admittedly SUCK, and
Sea Kayaking, where I don't suck.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:24 AM

activity options

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your injuries.

I recommend Shorinji Kempo (martial art) and the ergo (great machines). The martial art may help you become more comfortable after being hurt.

Hope everything works out okay with your recovery and all.

Patrick
Old 08-03-2019, 09:20 AM

Ocean white water kayaking. Here I am with my group in one of many of our videos. So many things to do and experiences on the coast, beautiful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=tt7nR9dZTsM

Last edited by Tony; 08-03-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:42 AM

How about Zwifting?
Old 08-03-2019, 09:51 AM

GREAT thread!

Sure gives me some good ideas.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:55 PM

Re:

Gym workouts, ride motorcycles, hike, volunteer... oh, I'm retired.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobrien View Post
Hope everything works out okay with your recovery and all.
thank you patrick, much appreciated.
i've found a rowing club that does weekly erg training sessions over the winter, that'll be a good option for the gloomy months.
seems a lot of you do a martial art, i've tried aikido in the past, but my knees didn't like the tumbling. i'll look into the one you mentioned.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:59 AM

My daughter-the-younger turns 6 in another week. She'll move up from the "Li'l Dragons" tae kwon do class to the 6+ white belt class. I'm going to start TKD with her in that class. So there's that.

I mowed the lawn yesterday. Walk-behind mower.

I'd say I do yoga also, but my practice has become... not so regular.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:37 AM

Running, hiking, backpacking, and my wife cajoles me into joining her for Barre 3 workouts (at home via streaming video; she's quite good at it and helps clarify/modify the poses).

But really, finding the daily practice that works for you is the most important factor. My sister loved rollerblading when it was popular, but then switched to running when 'blading fell out of fashion. She's never truly gotten into it, and I ask her once or twice a year now why she doesn't get back into rollerblading...

Best wishes for your recovery.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:45 AM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimon View Post
cut grass
this was my first thought....I live in a condo now, but my old house had good sized yard and was landscaped so it took a fair amount of maintenance...always got a good sweat!
Old 08-05-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Kettlebells

1) No, they aren't as much fun as cycling outside, but they're way better than riding inside.

2) They aren't boring, because you can do a huge variety of different exercises. One can easily create a 60-90 minute workout routine and not ever feel bored.

3) I defy anyone to tell me that something like a Turkish Get Up isn't both a strength and a cardio exercise. And it certainly isn't hard on your joints - in fact it isn't nearly as hard on your joints as cycling is on my knees.

4) You really don't need a membership to do this, just invest in a few yoga mats for the floor, and some pairs of KB's and you're good to go.

I couldn't even come close to what this woman can do - a TGU using well over half her body weight:

https://youtu.be/TGfbovA8LwM
Agree on kettlebells specifically, and on more modern forms of resistance training like Crossfit in general. Weights have really reduced the amount of lower back, neck, and shoulder pain I get from very long rides also.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:56 PM

to follow up on this, i want to say thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

i ended up jumping into bouldering and was loving it. i made my way to occasionally snagging v5/v6...then the pandemic.

after that, i never really found my groove last year. i was occasionally cycling, running, hiking, erging, and doing bodyweight workouts...but mostly i baked bread, stayed inside, and bought power tools. this past year has either introduced or aggravated multiple new minor joint injuries that seem to stacking up in an uncomfortable way, and i'll blame a lot of it on sedentary living.

when i started this thread, i guess it was a tougher time to be asking the question during late summer with winter on the horizon. but now i'm reading through this thread again for ideas for this coming spring/summer, and i've made a master list of random **** from which i will pick something to do when i want to do something. the list as it*stands is:

Water:
-learn to swim:
--Total Immersion/Terry Laughlin guided lessons
--Laughlin DVD “Perpetual Motion Freestyle In 10 Lessons”*

Stationary:
-learn tai chi
-do a bodyweight playground workout
-rowing/erging

Biking:
-learn to ride backwards/trackstand fakie/wheelie/nose pivot
-mountain bike
--night riding
--orange line Fells
--explore parks i haven't been to (vietnam, etc.)
-ride just to take pictures
-cyclocross on the western greenway
-ride around downtown at night
-put slicks on mtb and hit all the curbs
-bike rides to food/ice cream/pizza/beer/weed with scenery destinations

By Foot:
-stadiums
-scout hunting spots
-walk for pictures
-jog laps around a field kicking a soccer ball
-hike
--run up any uphills, walk any downhills.
-golf
-skatepark bowl

Moto:
-ride-to-hike
-waterfalls/swim holes
-antique stores for
-photo scavenger hunt:

Chill:
-hammock and read with a burritto
-learn plants via drawing them & photos
-camping
-fishing