Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2019, 01:07 PM
v a n i l l a

Bike paths, MUTs and the GGB are dangerous places to ride. Besides slowing down, always need to expect the completely unexpected, especially if the other rider is riding a beater, rental or most telling, pedaling on the arch of their foot not the ball of their foot. The best one? suddenly stopping to take a picture! Gotta expect that - GGB is a tourist spot.

Pedaling on the arch of the foot is a dead giveaway to rider experience which translates into completely unpredictable behavior.

But, even experienced cyclists are guilty of idiocy. Some years ago my daughter and I are riding across the GGB, she is in front of me so I can see over her and call out instructions (she was 10yo). I am unclipped and we are soft pedaling, because hey, riding across the bridge is fun and views are great. some woman in full kit come sup behind us yelling to get out of her way. we don't yield. she is pissed goes by yelling. Not 30 seconds later she is on the deck wrapped up with a tourist. it was all I could do not to make some comment as we rode past.

People generally think they are invincible or untouchable, that is until they aren't. The sad thing is generally some innocent gets impacted by their selfishness.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:36 PM

A few years ago, on the first nice day of spring, my wife was hit head-on by a rider going way too fast for the narrow, shared path we were on. It was a bike/ped bridge crossing along a highway. We were plodding home into a headwind after a nice long ride.

The at-fault rider flew through the air and landed some thirty feet away (we'd check his garmin later to see that he was going over 30mph - slight downhill, tailwind). His bike bounced over the divider into the highway. He screamed. We'd find out later that he broke ribs, cracked his spine, and collapsed his lung.

Fortunately my wife made it through with only a thumb break - somehow - and yet, the other rider had recovered from his injuries before she did. But it was an incredibly traumatic experience, and one that was so preventable with just a modicum of respect for shared space. For the places where there's no need to go fast.

Anyway, my point is that this stuff makes me really angry. A MUP is a great way to get to wide open roads where you can open it up, but it is absolutely irresponsible and antisocial to let rip on them.

It also drives home to me how much we need more human-scaled space. How much we could benefit if there were less space devoted to cars and car storage, particularly in our cities, and more for the people who are walking, jogging, riding slow, or riding fast - so that we can get out of each other's way just a little bit more.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/06/2...ek-bike-crash/

I see this a lot in NYC (mostly on the Manhattan Bridge path and West Side Greenway): cyclists going into the opposite lane to overtake slower riders, without waiting to make sure that it's safe to pass.
This exact thing happened to me going north on the greenway. Oncoming cyclist was on my side and luckily I was able to dive hard left. He t-boned me, breaking the new Hakka frame, a good cut on my hand and a big bruise on my quad. Thanked God there was no head injuries. The other guy spoke no english and I felt I had no recourse so after regaining some calm, I rode the busted bike back home to jersey.
Attached Images
File Type: png HakkaBroken.png (140.7 KB, 91 views)
File Type: png download.png (134.8 KB, 90 views)
Old 06-28-2019, 09:30 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Unless you're content to ride 10 mph, no serious cyclist should be riding on a busy MUT.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Unless you're content to ride 10 mph, no serious cyclist should be riding on a busy MUT.
Have you tried riding through Manhattan to get someplace?
Old 06-28-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
I think that falls under "be content to stay under 10mph". Leave earlier if you have to.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:51 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
That's different from a 20-25 mph training pace.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
I think that falls under "be content to stay under 10mph". Leave earlier if you have to.
Tell that to the 10,000 other cyclists, messengers, deliveries on e-bikes, etc that think it's a constant crit race.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:00 AM

Yes, the Westside Greenway is a constant disaster waiting to happen. My special favorite are the dog owners with those stupid retractable leashes who let their dogs meander across the whole trail.

Closest for me was a couple of years ago--I was riding north, minding my own business. not blasting, and a whole rat pack/peloton came around one of the blind corners all stacked up, taking up most of both sides of the MUP--

I'm getting old, but at least the reflexes (mostly) still work--I went for the right side weeds, brushed one of the guys' bars, stayed up and didn't crash. Put someone else in that situation and it could have been ugly...

I also keep thinking that they will eventually sort out pedestrians from cyclists as they have done on the south end, but I think it is a lost cause, as is the Brooklyn Bridge...