Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2019, 11:39 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
Try this one on for size;
road that goes by my house used to have a car lane sized shoulder for a half mile or so. They cut it down to put in a walking path. Prior to that, a legally blind delivery driver had mowed down and killed a Penn state prof riding on the shoulder. I almost think that shoulders that are as wide as a travel lane are possibly worse for cyclist safety. Probably 2/3rds is a good width.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:24 PM
Veni.Vidi.Bici.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
road that goes by my house used to have a car lane sized shoulder for a half mile or so. They cut it down to put in a walking path. Prior to that, a legally blind delivery driver had mowed down and killed a Penn state prof riding on the shoulder. I almost think that shoulders that are as wide as a travel lane are possibly worse for cyclist safety. Probably 2/3rds is a good width.
We have BUS specific lanes in Toronto and GTA and people just feel free to use them when its convenient. Unfortunately it's just paint on the floor and when you ignore it, all tarmac looks the same. Parking lots are getting obscene now with diagonally driving across and pulling through spots so the car faces out...and there is no policing those areas. oh well. *rant over
Old 06-28-2019, 01:38 PM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
Try this one on for size;
Is that a shoulder or an actual bike lane? There are a lot of shoulders like that in AZ, but they will peter to absolutely nothing at bridge crossings.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:10 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
Is that a shoulder or an actual bike lane? There are a lot of shoulders like that in AZ, but they will peter to absolutely nothing at bridge crossings.
It's both actually. That is the new Oracle Road between Oro Valley and Catalina, that size lane is more or less continuous from Ina Road all the way to Catalina +/- 10 miles. North of Oro Valley it's a really nice ride all the way to the Biosphere, the lane is reasonably clean and there's plenty of space to the traffic.