Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzinckgra View Post
Thanks, makes total sense. I think you mentioned earlier that Connex does not make a Campy compatible quick link?
Connex shows a 12 speed chain and connex link on their website, but I haven't seen anyone selling it yet. How well it will fit a Campy chain is not known.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I don't understand, why is there a limit on reusing the quicklinks? Are they made less strong then a regular link? Is it because there is an increase chance with each resuse that the link pops apart?
It's because they lock into place. If you've ever put a SRAM Power Lock (not power link) link on you're familiar with the process to set them and will have heard the pop. That noise is the link forcing it'self into place and there's some metal flexing around when that happens. How many times can that happen before the link fails, I don't know but the link manufactures do and that's why they put a limit on it. The other thing to remember is that bad things happen when chains fail, better to follow the instructions than avoid a trip to the ER.

The only reason to take a chain off a bike is to throw it away. You can't do anything meaningful off the bike that I can't do on the bike.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 02-20-2020, 12:16 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
You really can't do a decent job of cleaning a chain on the bike without getting solvent and dirt into the RD pulley bushings and onto the chainrings and sprockets.

Wiping off the exterior does not cleaning the area inside the roller, where the actual wear occurs.

I put my chains through two solvent baths. The first to first to get the majority of the dirt off and a second to remove the remaining dirty solvent.

I use a home brew wax based lube that is very clean, but dirt will still get inside the chain after enough use. I probably clean mine every 500 miles. I also alternate the use of several chains, so I don't toss chains prematurely in an attempt to avoid new-chain skip. Each chain can be used far longer, and there will be no new-chain skip.

I don't get oil, dirt and grit sticking to the chain, chain rings or sprockets, with this lube.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:28 PM

Maybe those of you who have never heard of cleaning a chain have also never heard of hot wax dipping a chain for lubrication. Molten Speed Wax is a big deal to some folks, but the chain has to be removed fairly frequently to replenish the wax.

https://moltenspeedwax.com/

Some also hot wax dip with with plain paraffin. That idea has been around forever. Some don't bother to clean the chain before rewaxing, but they end up with dirt in their wax.

I prefer my own liquid wax-based lube that's just as clean, contains oil with extreme pressure additives and only cost pennies per ounce. No hot dipping required. My drivetrain remains extremely clean, with no dirt attracted by this lube. No black oily chain for me.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I've been road riding since 1998 and have always used Campy. I've long ago accepted the fact that using their stuff costs more money than the other brands and that's fine. It's good quality stuff, however I've been super annoyed lately as I am building up an EPS V4 Skylon.

I ordered the groupset back in Dec and was super excited to unbox everything and start the build. The first surprise/disappointment was after having spent $3300, I find out after searching through all the pretty boxes, Campy does not provide the charger!.
You'll be celebrating when you save $100 on a second group set because you don't have to pay for an unneeded charger.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:44 PM

I was waiting for the “Campy Rant Part II” complaining that someone had to pay $100 for a second charger setup...
Old 02-20-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
Yeah, seriously. Who has time to keep 3 chains per bike and alternate them every 500 miles. Come on.
Yes, and 500 miles is under ideal, totally dry conditions.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW2Ford View Post
I was waiting for the “Campy Rant Part II” complaining that someone had to pay $100 for a second charger setup...
Would be funny if Campy keyed/coded their chargers to only work with one serial # interface. I'm sure it could be done if they wanted.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:11 PM

After further thought, I am going to forgo the campy chain tool and try the SRAM link.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
After further thought, I am going to forgo the campy chain tool and try the SRAM link.
There are less expensive alternatives to the Campy chain tool, e.g. Park Tool.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I suppose Campy sells chargers and cords a separates I'd guess it is because they don't know where the end user will be and what charger and cord will be appropriate for the local grid. OTOH if a retailer only sells in his local market he can order the correct chargers and cords to include with the groups he sells.
This. They would need to include at least a half dozen cords just for this hemisphere: U.S., England, Western Europe, 2 different South American plugs depending on which country and two different plugs in the Caribbean.
Overall worldwide, it would take as many as 14 different plugs. The charger can take voltage from 110 to 240 volts.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
If it is it's not enough to make a material difference in my experience versus dunking in an ultrasonic tank at every turn.

Chain lasts basically the same amount of time for a lot less headache. If Campy wanted us pulling the chains off repeatedly to clean, they'd be giving us a way to do that. If the engineers in Vicenza don't think it's necessary, fine by me.
Pro teams replace the chain weekly. It is cleaned daily.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Pro teams replace the chain weekly. It is cleaned daily.
I wouldn't expect any less. NBA players usually go through a couple pairs of sneakers a game after all.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:51 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
There are less expensive alternatives to the Campy chain tool, e.g. Park Tool.
Funny, I just dropped off a Park Tool CT-4.3 at the post office after selling it on eBay. I broke several of the tool pins attempting to install a Campy pin and gave up on the tool. That certainly could be pilot error as many have good things to say about the Park, but I wish I'd spent the money for the Campy tool (or maybe the Abbey).
Old 02-20-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
You really can't do a decent job of cleaning a chain on the bike without getting solvent and dirt into the RD pulley bushings and onto the chainrings and sprockets.

Wiping off the exterior does not cleaning the area inside the roller, where the actual wear occurs.

I put my chains through two solvent baths. The first to first to get the majority of the dirt off and a second to remove the remaining dirty solvent.

I use a home brew wax based lube that is very clean, but dirt will still get inside the chain after enough use. I probably clean mine every 500 miles. I also alternate the use of several chains, so I don't toss chains prematurely in an attempt to avoid new-chain skip. Each chain can be used far longer, and there will be no new-chain skip.

I don't get oil, dirt and grit sticking to the chain, chain rings or sprockets, with this lube.
Oh, geez. I can go a LOOOONG way without hearing nairy a peep out of my drivetrain just by routine cleaning on the bike. For me, I don't need - nor want - to pull the chain every ~500 miles. I'd be living in the garage.....