Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 07:08 AM

Roger Miliken Crit Crash

Saw this posted on a friend's FB timeline.
Not familiar with the race myself.
Category is 55-60. Can't believe this kind of stuff goes on at that age group. A bunch of comments stating USA Cycling has a history of not taking action in cases like this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xiN...MPWt7Pv0BoS7c8
Old 02-19-2020, 07:15 AM

His fellow riders need to mete out some frontier justice. The guy who pushed him needs to be taught a hard lesson. Then banned for life.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
His fellow riders need to mete out some frontier justice. The guy who pushed him needs to be taught a hard lesson. Then banned for life.
Hmm..not sure..this type of pushing happens all the time..just in this case the 'victim' was overlapping his front wheel..It doesn't look like the white jersey guy pushed him that hard, but hard to tell...
Old 02-19-2020, 07:34 AM

damn. while i'm not opposed to a little nudgework - when necessary to preserve your space and safety - that was completely unnecessary: the rider was trying to make new space for himself when he had plenty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Hmm..not sure..this type of pushing happens all the time..just in this case the 'victim' was overlapping his front wheel..It doesn't look like the white jersey guy pushed him that hard, but hard to tell...
the guy in orange was only overlapping because he was being overtaken on his left side - which is to say, nothing he could do about it.

Last edited by nooneline; 02-19-2020 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:36 AM
Shifty Member

Wow, as a former crit rider that really pisses me off. A hand is supposed to be reassuring just to say I'm here, don't move over suddenly or can you open up some room. To get a hard shove instead is awful.

Agreed with above that the rider should get a ban from further racing. This isn't a shove with the shoulder or a push with the bars to open up some room. This was to deliberately cause someone to go down and is on another level.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yep, I'm not a racer but it sure looks to me like the guy was drifting over into the other rider and their wheels were overlapped. The other guy was just trying to fend him off a bit. See this all the time in races.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:00 AM

I don’t know the context, such as is this rider known for this type of behavior, but at speed I don’t know if this is that egregious. I know it’s a violation of the rules to take your hands off of the bars, but this seems like a ‘I’m trying not to die’ move from someone who may not be super experienced or it may just be a reflex.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:14 AM

Downed rider pinched off by racer to his front left who swerved right. Orangeman's push was more than needed, but looks like wheel touch is what sent him down. Might have stayed upright otherwise.

Re-review .... push from white jersey caused wheels touch.

Last edited by sitzmark; 02-19-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
damn. while i'm not opposed to a little nudgework - when necessary to preserve your space and safety - that was completely unnecessary: the rider was trying to make new space for himself when he had plenty.

the guy in orange was only overlapping because he was being overtaken on his left side - which is to say, nothing he could do about it.
Totally agree that the offender in white clearly had space in front of him and even mostly to the left as he was almost a complete bike length behind the victim. The victim maintains his line throughout the video. The offender pushes mostly from behind, instead of the side, which indicates his position and that he is in the wrong. It wasn't as if the victim drifted over into him while side-by-side. If you were letting a rider know that "you are there" it's a gentle touching on the back, not a push from behind on your arse.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:18 AM

That was an obvious takedown. Look at the direction his hand and elbow are in, he grabbed the orange jersey guy and yanked him back and over, watch the white jersey guys wheels, they swerve over when he yanks. If someone is moving into your space it's just a slight touch, usually a fingertip is enough. There is obviously a history behind this because the guys behind started moving over before the shove. The orange jersey guy just finished his pull and was drifting back and holding his line in the pack when the white jersey guy rolled up from behind with plenty of room.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:29 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Rider View Post
That was an obvious takedown. Look at the direction his hand and elbow are in, he grabbed the orange jersey guy and yanked him back and over, watch the white jersey guys wheels, they swerve over when he yanks. If someone is moving into your space it's just a slight touch, usually a fingertip is enough. There is obviously a history behind this because the guys behind started moving over before the shove. The orange jersey guy just finished his pull and was drifting back and holding his line in the pack when the white jersey guy rolled up from behind with plenty of room.
Gonna be a good 'peanut gallery' discussion..
Looked like an open hand to me, not a 'grabbed a handful and pulled'. They are also turning right, which brought the guy who fell closer to the white jersey guy. Probably a bad move by white jersey guy but a 'obvious takedown'? Doubt that since he could have taken himself down too, since he was in front of him.

"Obvious takedown"? Did white jersey guy not like orange jersey guy?
Old 02-19-2020, 08:35 AM
ZhugeLiang

That was a dumb move.

Doesn't take a genius.

This guy got some serious "issue" both on...and off the bike that need some addressing.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:36 AM

I've stiff armed another rider in a crit when he was squeezing me over. Usually it was because his knees were hitting my bars. Just an extended arm pushing on his hip. Sometimes talking to the rider isn't enough. I've also put a guy in the ditch, in a frontier justice manner.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:39 AM

Breaking News! Crit racer crashes in race...
Old 02-19-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Breaking News! Crit racer crashes in race...
It didn't look like a crash. It looked like a deliberate takedown. It's not the same thing. Bike racing isn't the NHL or pro "wrestling".

As a former racer I have zero patience for deliberately dangerous and reckless riding. Aggressive racing and stupidity aren't the same thing.

This is masters racing. No need for this behavior ever, but especially at this category. It is pathetic and reminds me of the 50+ age group guys who get busted for steroids or EPO. It's pathetic.
Closed Thread