Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2020, 06:40 PM
v a n i l l a

A website with no information.

Must still be using the same marketing consultant
Old 02-12-2020, 06:58 PM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

Filling the gap....

I see Ben’s timing as pretty good with these Ti offerings since TK has stepped away to something that resembles retirement. I think he can fill that gap in the top end Ti market here in North America now. But to do this he will have to include all the design elements from the Legend Ti along with the updates for disc brakes (including internal cable/hose routing), unique fork, unique dropouts, di2/eps/ETap/mechanical and something like a T47 bb for good measure. I could go for something like this but I’ll just have to wait and see what he puts together.
I hope he’s successful but it’s a steep hill to climb since we already have really great options in this particular market segment here in NA.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:35 PM

I wish him the best. He has been a big influence for many over the decades and taught his craft to some of the best builders today. I would buy without hesitation from Him or any of those he has taught knowing full well the end product will be what it should be. Functional and pleasurable to ride, as well as a well crafted machine.

It is always a matter of price isn't it? I don't think anyone here believes Ben can't deliver a superb product. Let's all admit that the man has the knowledge, skills, and network to produce. It comes down to what you are willing to pay.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:26 PM

He has my best wishes as well. I met him and Pete at NAHBS years ago, I was just some guy coming off of the floor, they couldn't have been nicer gentlemen.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:45 PM

I can’t afford that ****! They’ll probably be nice though.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:16 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
This happened less than an hour ago, give the guy some time. It appears he got the Serotta name back and is using it again. Good for him.

I’ve been a Serotta fanboy for nearly 20 years and have talked to Ben several times. I like the guy but really love his bikes, I’ve had close to 50 Serottas new and used.

I hope that the ‘new’ Serotta.com works for him.

I thought the Pronto was a rad looking bike, hopefully more of that.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:16 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
This should be interesting. Breathing life back into Serotta.com Maybe he will be a forum sponsor once again.
https://serotta.com/
Act 'II'?? more like Act, what, V or VI??
Interesting picture of Keifel on his Coors Light Serotta..I built that thing when in Morgul-Bismark..like what, 25 years ago??
Quote:
After spending most of the last six years circling the bike world - literally and figuratively as a designer, supply-chain consultant and 2nd time framebuilding entrepreneur, it became clear to me that there are still needs that are not filled by the myriad of other bike companies. So, some time last year I decided to double down and bring Serotta, the brand, back to the forefront.
Really..cue the 'help me pick a new custom, titanium frame' thread..

ANOTHER consumer direct ti frame, w/o a dealer network. Yes, on this forum, we have heard of them, but 'Joe or Jane' '6 pack of red bull'?? Not so sure.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:22 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I don't get it, but wish him all the success.
Yup, hope he has a business manager and good accountant this time around..
Quote:
They already have a handful of the old Serotta employees and their tooling equipment. Probably can’t get much closer to the Serotta of old than with this combo.

I cannot imagine why No22 would want to be involved though. They are doing quite well on their own
NO employee of No22 is going to leave and re-join Serotta, maybe but really doubt it. Will No22 make frames for a competitor? Really doubt that as well.

It appears that Ben has a 'builder' of some sort. BUT throw $2000 at something with ZERO info? Seems Ben is placing a LOT of confidence in his last name.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-13-2020 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
.... BUT throw $2000 at something with ZERO info? Seems Ben is placing a LOT of confidence in his last name.
Everyone is acting like there is a Paypal button on the site for a deposit. There is a contact form to let them know your interest. At least they are giving you an idea of cost. I prefer that to a site gives no pricing info.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
Everyone is acting like there is a Paypal button on the site for a deposit. There is a contact form to let them know your interest. At least they are giving you an idea of cost. I prefer that to a site gives no pricing info.
Send him the message that says,
*"I have more questions! I’d like to schedule a live call to discuss my new Serotta Titanium bicycle."
OR

*"I’m not ready to buy yet, but keep me updated on Serotta news, special offers and updates."

And see what he says..I'd do it but he'd probably recognize my name and we didn't part company on very good terms...
Old 02-13-2020, 07:55 AM
Administrator

i mis-read the website the first time yesterday.

i didnt realize he is looking to go ti for all three models, including the duetti, which was previously, i think off-shore fab'd aluminum.

i wonder if that arrangement didnt work out?

based on his last round of bikes, and the pricing posted, the cost is not outrageous compared to other offerings, so that's a great start.

i wonder if Ben is going to NAHBS this year?

he was not at the philly show, i dont recall?
Old 02-13-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yup, hope he has a business manager and good accountant this time around..

NO employee of No22 is going to leave and re-join Serotta, maybe but really doubt it. Will No22 make frames for a competitor? Really doubt that as well.
Could be a contract build arrangement similar to what Spectrum had with Merlin and Seven for their ti bikes. It's not unheard of in the bike biz for one builder/company to make bikes for another. Seven/Spectrum, Lemond/Time, Giant/Schwinn/Trek/etc, Aegis, Litespeed, Lynskey, I'm sure there are others.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Could be a contract build arrangement similar to what Spectrum had with Merlin and Seven for their ti bikes. It's not unheard of in the bike biz for one builder/company to make bikes for another. Seven/Spectrum, Lemond/Time, Giant/Schwinn/Trek/etc, Aegis, Litespeed, Lynskey, I'm sure there are others.
This seems more than plausibly/likely.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:52 AM

If you want a new titanium Legend, look here: http://www.legendbybertoletti.it/en/...ilter=.titanio.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:53 AM

The strange thing is what would work would be if he just made the frames himself one-man style.

He seems like he got too used to being CEO.