Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 09:15 PM
Velotopia

Going to Paris July 8th-22nd

Howdy all,

We scored some insanely affordable tickets to Paris for July, wife + the two kids...so cheap in fact, I oughta bring ratchet straps in case we wind up on top of the fuselage. Of course, thoughts immediately turn to locating a nice road bike and getting lost for several hours on several occasions.

According to l'Yelp, ParisBikeCo is a solid shop started by a California expat, and a hookup for renting a decent road rig and maybe meeting some folks to ride with. I'm going to reach out to him to lock down a rental and see what he can offer for group rides, Garmin self-guided loops, that kind of thing.

Naturally I also spent an hour CADing up a 53cm coupler frameset which I have no time or money to make, and would cost as much to ship two-way as renting a bike for a couple weeks there. I've done dumber things though.

From those who have made such a trip, I'd love some tips and tricks for getting around and out of the city via vélo. Is anyone from Paris or nearby on here? Merci beaucoup!
Chris
Old 02-18-2020, 10:12 PM

I can recommend working with Paris Bike Co. I met the owner last year while I was based out of Paris for 4 months for work; he is a nice guy and can suggest some good routes.

Another option would be to hook up with a group called Paris Cycling B:

https://www.meetup.com/Paris-Cycling-B-Group/

It is a very international group (everyone speaks English), and they do really nice rides every weekend starting from the city. Some rides are out-and-back, others are destination type rides where you ride out then take a train back. Their weekend rides are typically in the 80-120 km range, at a reasonable pace. I rode with them pretty much every weekend while I was there and had a great time.

I can also send you some of my Strava routes if you are interested; I rode quite a bit while there.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:03 PM
Velotopia

That's a fantastic lead, thank you - I will connect with em.