Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2020, 04:37 PM

I've noticed their quality and finish has been going downhill.

Some of the moulding of their carbon cranks (particularly around the pedal interface) is just awful.

A lot of their logos and marques have been smudged. Seen this on Chorus, Record and Super Record.

Wheels have been a bit better but are still hit and miss.

I've seen enough of them lately to know it's systemic.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
This. They would need to include at least a half dozen cords just for this hemisphere: U.S., England, Western Europe, 2 different South American plugs depending on which country and two different plugs in the Caribbean.
Overall worldwide, it would take as many as 14 different plugs. The charger can take voltage from 110 to 240 volts.
I don't get this. I have Sram etap 11 and it came with a usb charger. So how can Sram, and I presume, Shimano sell its e-groups with a charger at no extra cost? Wouldn't they offer like one charger and then it is up to the user to come up with any kind of adapter that is needed?

Yeah, I know, Good Luck!

Last edited by bfd; 02-21-2020 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
So how can Sram, and I presume, Shimano sell its e-groups with a charger at no extra cost?
Why do you think it's included at no extra cost?
Old 02-20-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Now, THAT's a GOOD question. I guess the bottom line is we should carefully evaluate what we need and make sure the group we are ordering includes it all or that we, at least, figure on buying extra bits to make it all operational.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
I don’t know, when I bought my etap group, it included a charger. Now it might be added as part of the price, but I knew that when I bought it, not discovered it missing after the fact:

Good Luck!
Old 02-21-2020, 12:20 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
I don't get this. I have Sram etap 11 and it came with a usb charger. So how can Sram, and I presume, Shimano sell its e-groups with a charger at no extra cost? Wouldn't they offer like one charger and then it is up to the user to come up with any kind of adapter that is needed?

Yeah, I know, Good Luck!
They do not. Chargers and power cords are not included. Now, if you buy a kit, the seller MAY include it. But no, it is sold separately.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzinckgra View Post
I've been road riding since 1998 and have always used Campy. I've long ago accepted the fact that using their stuff costs more money than the other brands and that's fine. It's good quality stuff, however I've been super annoyed lately as I am building up an EPS V4 Skylon.

I ordered the groupset back in Dec and was super excited to unbox everything and start the build. The first surprise/disappointment was after having spent $3300, I find out after searching through all the pretty boxes, Campy does not provide the charger! Seriously, at that price it should be in the box. It's been a slow build and I'm not in a huge rush, but I finally ordered the $85 charger last week. Anxious to charge the battery, I get the charger in the mail yesterday and guess what? They don't provide a power cord!

For $15 more, you can order one. Unreal. Luckily I had one kicking around from one of my R/C plane chargers. It's not the money (ok, maybe a little), it's the principle of getting nickeled and dimed for everything.

My last gripe is the $150 I have to spend on their chain tool to install the 12S chain. I like to use quick links, but have read various stories of success for the 12S chain. I know some have used other tools (pedros, park, etc), but I'm willing to swallow this one as I know I'll get the right tool for the job and I'll be able to remove the chain when I want to clean it. But......I have to buy $15 replacement pins every time I want to rejoin the broken chain

Oh well, I'm sure I'll have no regrets once I'm out on the road, but Campy sure has a way of stickin' it to the man.
Late to this, 'another', "lets bash Campag thread". AND, once again, it's not really a Campagnolo problem, but some online retailer's problem..or a consumer who 'may' not have done his due diligence(even tho it 'sounds' like the OP knows and has owned EPS)...
Funny,when somebody bashes sram, it's like you are bad-mouthing somebody's favorite Aunt...

Not a Campag problem, a reseller problem.
Quote:
Yes. But, still I realize there are various groupset options that include different mix of components, but a charger should be included as part of the EPS core (battery, interface) kit.
Retailer problem..as far as the cord being a separate SKU...It has different SKUs because various countries have different electrical plug designs..
Quote:
It sounds like the retailer you got the group from didn't include it in the groupset price. TexasCycleSport? No charger. EuroBikeParts? Charger. Your retailer might vary.
Use the otherwise '11s' chaintool as you mentioned. The important part is being able to peen the pin, not the width of the chain.

BUT, as you mentioned, use a quick link..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-21-2020 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post

Some of the moulding of their carbon cranks (particularly around the pedal interface) is just awful.

A lot of their logos and marques have been smudged. Seen this on Chorus, Record and Super Record.

From who? Online or one of the various US distributors? If distributors, which ones? I 'suspect' that a lot of what you 'may' be seeing is some of the seconds that go out the 'back door' and end up with a variety of 'alternative' resellers of Campag stuff..
Old 02-21-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Oh, geez. I can go a LOOOONG way without hearing nairy a peep out of my drivetrain just by routine cleaning on the bike. For me, I don't need - nor want - to pull the chain every ~500 miles. I'd be living in the garage.....
You must work very slowly. It can't take more than 5 minutes to swap a chain, particularly if a quick link is used.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:30 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
You must work very slowly. It can't take more than 5 minutes to swap a chain, particularly if a quick link is used.
6 minutes if a pin is used!
Old 02-21-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Dude, why don't you let this go. Nobody wants to keep 3 chains per bike and rotate them. Change your chain regularly, on road bikes for me it's around 5000km and you are good to go. With many bikes the logistics of keeping 3 chains to clean them and save a bit of cassette life is complete nonsense.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:40 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
From who? Online or one of the various US distributors? If distributors, which ones? I 'suspect' that a lot of what you 'may' be seeing is some of the seconds that go out the 'back door' and end up with a variety of 'alternative' resellers of Campag stuff..
I was going to comment on this as well. I have seen dozens (37 kits last year) of Campagnolo groups last year alone. New and old Chorus, Record and Super Record. 11 and 12. Even a few (4 out of 37) Potenza kits. I have seen nothing but quality and consistency from Campy. I'm very impressed especially with the new Chorus 12. With the exception of someone bending a chainring on a crank when they hit something, they've been excellent to install, use and warranty issues have been handled incredibly fast. They've jumped thru hoops to help get my customers on the road.

I'm really curious where Robert is seeing these kits. Cause if it's from a US distributor or CampyNA, I would be surprised by that.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
What works for me is not to waste any time or effort doing anything more than is necessary to get the job done......
Old 02-21-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
Dude, why don't you let this go. Nobody wants to keep 3 chains per bike and rotate them. Change your chain regularly, on road bikes for me it's around 5000km and you are good to go. With many bikes the logistics of keeping 3 chains to clean them and save a bit of cassette life is complete nonsense.
You must live a sheltered life, if you're unaware of wax lubrication. A great many people hot wax dip their chains and change chains every 500 miles or so. Nearly all keep several chains on hand. Wax lube greatly improves drivetrain cleanliness and most claim excellent chain life.

With my liquid wax lube, I could leave the chain in place, but I prefer an occasional cleaning and I'll never get new-chain skip. Do whatever you like. I used oily lubes for over 20 years. I know how much dirt they collect and how much extra cleaning they require.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:48 AM

To OP; why not write directly to campagnolo, ask if this is how they pack their merch and then we all comment?

It could be the shop´s fault and campagnolo would take care of business. Or not take care of business. I am not their lawyer, heir or employee... but we became lazy: at the minimum distress we call a mob on line and complain before actually talking to the companies.