Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 02-21-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
That's the first box/flat crown I've seen on a Kirk..

Overall love the look and decals. Nice work

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I sort of wish I would have chose the flat crown when Dave built mine on 2006.dont remember exactly why he recommended the sloping over the flat but was recently wondering why he stopped using the flat crown.maybe he still does,but I can't recall seeing any new kirks in years with one.
maybe he will comment in this thread
Old 02-21-2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Considering an eventual upgrade? To ee brakes, if anyone has an opinion talk me into or out of it.

The long term goal ie—when I find a deal is

Ee brakes
WI crank

The logical part of me says the bike stops fine and rolls fine with the components that are on it now
If the 170mm 46x30 WI R30 cranks I bought here don't work for me on my Kirk, I'll pass the deal forward.. Also picked up 52x36 rings for it.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:53 AM
Administrator

i can't speak to sram rim brake performance, but to me EE brakes offer zero advantage (other than weight) over campagnolo record brakes.

i have them on my foresta, because, probably like you, i wanted to see what all the rave was about, but would not consider them an upgrade over my regular campy brakes, at least from a braking perspective.

if you like the way they look and are chasing grams,, that's a different story, and nothing wrong with that either!
Old 02-22-2020, 11:45 AM
NJ/TN/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
but to me EE brakes offer zero advantage (other than weight)
Smokes!

Are EE brake actually this light? Is that without the carriers/pads?

DIRECT MOUNT

78.4 grams* (Front)
78.2 grams* (Rear)
Old 02-22-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Smokes!

Are EE brake actually this light? Is that without the carriers/pads?
My EE brakes (standard mount, not direct mount) with all hardware and pads were 200g total for the pair
Old 02-22-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i can't speak to sram rim brake performance, but to me EE brakes offer zero advantage (other than weight) over campagnolo record brakes.

i have them on my foresta, because, probably like you, i wanted to see what all the rave was about, but would not consider them an upgrade over my regular campy brakes, at least from a braking perspective.

if you like the way they look and are chasing grams,, that's a different story, and nothing wrong with that either!
I’ll prob stick with campy record then. At my heaviest ive weighted 135lbs so it doesnt take much to stop me. Exactly what I thought— thanks

Last edited by jtakeda; 02-22-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
If the 170mm 46x30 WI R30 cranks I bought here don't work for me on my Kirk, I'll pass the deal forward.. Also picked up 52x36 rings for it.
Thanks. Lemme know, the record crank isn’t an ideal match for the etap so this is the one upgrade I’m seriously considering
Old 02-22-2020, 12:23 PM
NJ/TN/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgul Bismark View Post
My EE brakes (standard mount, not direct mount) with all hardware and pads were 200g total for the pair
I am a clyde, and generally hauling my girth down with confidence has never had me looking for much lighter than the 300 gram arena.

But that is amazingly light, and not too too crazy money, for some perhaps.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:37 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
I’ll prob stick with campy record then. At my heaviest ive weighted 135lbs so it doesnt take much to stop me. Exactly what I thought— thanks
I think the other aspect of brake performance (besides the pads) is how they are set up. I had a friend whose brakes were set up to hit during the first third of the lever throw. For me that is very hard ot modulate with my hand that open. I like the first third of the travel to be dead, then the middle third where the pads contact all the way to full engagement.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
I think the other aspect of brake performance (besides the pads) is how they are set up. I had a friend whose brakes were set up to hit during the first third of the lever throw. For me that is very hard ot modulate with my hand that open. I like the first third of the travel to be dead, then the middle third where the pads contact all the way to full engagement.
Hmm I’m probably closer to your friend. I have pretty small hands and a few tendon injuries from being doored so many times so I like the brakes to squeeze pretty quick. I’m more like dead for the 1st 1/4 or1/5 of the throw
Old 03-28-2020, 06:36 PM

Well-- what started as an idea of what would be a nice little upgrade--morphed into a coronavirus toilet paper joke from Clean and eventually became me buying a WI crank

Now the question is when will I cave and get ee brakes
Old 03-28-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Bike looks great! And you know how much of an enabler Sr. Dan is!

I'm running eTap with EEs and am very happy. I was in the same boat of running eTap with Campy brakes. Sure, the Campy brakes worked fine, but wanting the EE binders finally got me. I cannot say which is better for stopping, but the EE brakes are superb. I'm like you, I like my brakes motorcycle style...I touch the brake lever and the brakes come on very quickly thereafter.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Bike looks great! And you know how much of an enabler Sr. Dan is!

I'm running eTap with EEs and am very happy. I was in the same boat of running eTap with Campy brakes. Sure, the Campy brakes worked fine, but wanting the EE binders finally got me. I cannot say which is better for stopping, but the EE brakes are superb. I'm like you, I like my brakes motorcycle style...I touch the brake lever and the brakes come on very quickly thereafter.

EE’s w etap sounds much better than etap with 9100s. They work fine but felt like I needed more pull of the lever to engage than what you are describing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2020, 08:24 PM

This is a v v good build.

I wouldn't want to mismatch brake lever pull, I'd say Force brakes are the ticket if you want to get off of Campy without dropping EE coin. Red "AeroLink" are single pivot which might work for some but isn't ideal if you like power. Agreed that 11 speed DA needs more pull.

Last edited by jtbadge; 03-28-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Well-- what started as an idea of what would be a nice little upgrade--morphed into a coronavirus toilet paper joke from Clean and eventually became me buying a WI crank

Looks great! Shifting okay with the ETap? It worked well with my DA9100 setup, so I assume so..