Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2024, 02:38 PM

Q re: East Side of Kanc: Passaconaway Road

A small group including Yours Truly is planning a mid-week, point-to-point ride on the Kanc, traveling W => E.

Once over the top, I'm wondering if Passaconaway Road is a better choice than continuing downhill and east on NH 112.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Tim
Old 09-23-2024, 04:24 PM

I much prefer taking Passaconoway Rd. That's a much nicer road and you skip the traffic and lousier roads at the intersection of 112 and 16.

Be careful on the bridge at the beginning. A bud got his wheel stuck there years ago.

Too bad you'll miss Bear Notch.
Enjoy!
Old 09-23-2024, 04:39 PM

Ditto on the above. Passaconaway road has less traffic, and is just nicer for riding in general. Also ditto on the on the wood deck covered bridge at the start. The decking planks run lengthwise, and there can be wheel-eating gaps between them. A friend of mine got his wheel stuck in one of these divots, and crumpled the down tube on his Peter Ouelette custom frame.

And like above, you may want consider also going over Bear Notch instead. South to North is the "easy" way up and over, and when you get to bottom in Bartlett you can go east on Rt 302, past Attitash ski area, then take West Side Road (another back road well suited to cycling) back down to Conway.