Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2020, 06:39 PM

Inexpensive hardtail frames

Some friends and I are trying to build up a parts-bin mountain bike for a bud who is trying to get into the sport. We have a lot of take-off parts between us but need a frame. Requirements are boost, 29 inch wheels, and built around a 120mm-ish fork so we can use parts on hand.

Options I've found:
- Salsa Timberjack: Looks like the 2019 sold for $450, but I don't see a 2020 frame-only option? I'll check with a shop to see if they are still available.
- Kona Honzo: The AL frame is 500. New version is designed around a 140 fork but it seems like it might be actually unchanged from the previous years that ran 120-130?
- Octane One Prone. Generic aluminum frame from chain reaction. With a code I can get it down to 350 shipped.

Anything else I should look at? Budget is a priority, so I guess 500 or under. It seems like lots of UK brands are making these sorts of frames but shipping to the US is outrageous and might take forever right now. Anything from a US distributor?

I know I should probably ask this on pinkbike but they scare me, you all are friendlier.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:31 AM

If you can stretch to $550 shipped and can work with a medium - I would suggest this. https://www.merlincycles.com/kinesis...me-117452.html

As nice as frames twice the price.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
If you can stretch to $550 shipped and can work with a medium - I would suggest this. https://www.merlincycles.com/kinesis...me-117452.html

As nice as frames twice the price.
Thanks- medium is probably no good but I have seen these. What makes them so good? All aluminum frames look about the same to me TBH and I mostly just check out geo, number of bosses, etc.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:25 AM

I’ve got a large AL Honzo frame hanging. Bought on a whim locally but I haven’t touched it to get it built. PM me if interested, I can beat $500 easily.