Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
maybe he means studded snow tires....as opposed to winter tires like Blizzaks and that type?
blizzaks are ABSOLUTELY snow tires.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:02 PM

ALL winter tires are snow tires, by definition.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
ALL winter tires are snow tires, by definition.
Some are designed for cold and wet, but not deep snow. A set of Conti's I had were the best. For area's that don't typically get lots of snow, this is a good way to go. Better than all-season, but not full-on snow tire.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
what are these? winter tires not made for snow? huh?
A specific snow tire has a more aggressive thread pattern. A winter tire is closer to a summer tire but is able to clear more water and heats up quite a bit quicker due to the compound used and thread pattern design.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:11 AM

This is an interesting distinction, for me at least. My first experience with seasonal tires, as an adult, came when I lived in Switzerland from the early 1990s through the mid-2000s. They were referred to as "Winterpneus" or "Winterreiffen", depending on whether or not you were in Switzerland or in Germany respectively.

They had a softer compound, were generally narrower and had way more siping and a bit more aggressive tread block but no studs were present. But I never heard them specifically referred to as "Snow Tires". For serious snow conditions in the mountains it wasn't uncommon to see chains in use.

I remember growing up in NE Wisconsin and we spent five years in Door County, where huge amounts of snow fall, my father used to put on a set of rear studded tires but not all four. I think this was more a question of money than anything. At the time his 1969 Ford Galaxy 500 didn't handle snow well and I think he also put a few sand bags in the trunk. His thinking was that two snow tires were better than zero snow tires.

Anyway, my new Michelins don't have as aggressive a tread pattern as my Blizzaks. I hope they are good tires for winter. The Blizzaks I had were transformative on my GTI, which went from nearly undrivable in the snow to very well mannered in the snow.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
This is an interesting distinction, for me at least. My first experience with seasonal tires, as an adult, came when I lived in Switzerland from the early 1990s through the mid-2000s. They were referred to as "Winterpneus" or "Winterreiffen", depending on whether or not you were in Switzerland or in Germany respectively.

They had a softer compound, were generally narrower and had way more siping and a bit more aggressive tread block but no studs were present. But I never heard them specifically referred to as "Snow Tires". For serious snow conditions in the mountains it wasn't uncommon to see chains in use.

I remember growing up in NE Wisconsin and we spent five years in Door County, where huge amounts of snow fall, my father used to put on a set of rear studded tires but not all four. I think this was more a question of money than anything. At the time his 1969 Ford Galaxy 500 didn't handle snow well and I think he also put a few sand bags in the trunk. His thinking was that two snow tires were better than zero snow tires.

Anyway, my new Michelins don't have as aggressive a tread pattern as my Blizzaks. I hope they are good tires for winter. The Blizzaks I had were transformative on my GTI, which went from nearly undrivable in the snow to very well mannered in the snow.
Snow tires on the rear (drive) wheels were the norm in Chicago in the 1950s,60s. They helped a car go and stop but didn't do much to help them turn. Most folks made the mistake of using snow tires that were a size or two larger than their normal tires in the belief they would offer better traction. These tires were usually good enough to preclude the nasty requirement of installing tire chains.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:27 PM

We drove to KC yesterday and today (late start had us in Iowa City last night). The drive down was dry the entire way. New tires should arrive tomorrow, hopefully installed shortly thereafter. Blizzaks will go on in the near future after our return.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:35 PM
n - 1

When I had a FWD, I had two sets of rims. One with regular all seasons and one with winter tires (snow tires—same thing). They performed really well but stop-n-go on hills over 4% grade was sketchy or impossible at times. Had to pull over and back down the hill.

We’ve since gone all AWD and used snow tires but after a few years of it, I found a good set of all seasons really do the job just fine.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
We’ve since gone all AWD and used snow tires but after a few years of it, I found a good set of all seasons really do the job just fine.
I run fat 18" or 19" (depending on the car/SUV) Conti DWS06 tires on my quattros for 3 seasons, and skinny 17" or 18" Nokian M&S in the winter. All mounted on their own alloys.

Best of both worlds.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 10-25-2020 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:09 PM

If you get snows, if possible tirerack or similar w/rims. get one size down and one size taller.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:15 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
I run fat 18" or 19" (depending on the car/SUV) Conti DWS06 tires on my quattros for 3 seasons, and skinny 17" or 18" Nokian M&S in the winter. All mounted on their own alloys.

Best of both worlds.
Yes, dedicated summer and winter tires would be ideal. It’s more of space/storage issue for me, weighed against benefit. As I said, all-seasons have been great. But I do make it a point not to take it down to the wear bars and sell them off way before then.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:24 AM

The thing about AWD is that it helps you go, might help you go around corners if the software is solid but it doesn't help you stop. That's where winter tires come into play.

The number of AWD and 4WD vehicles I saw in the ditch each winter when driving from Grand Rapids to Chicago was no less than the standard drive cars. That's anecdotal but I stand by what I say.

Winter tires are a very good investment in safety if snow will be encountered regularly.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:39 AM

What all seasons are people driving through the winter? I dont drive my Grand Cherokee enough to warrant two sets of tires, and im due for new all seasons.. I havent checked with the penny test yet, but i can see the wear bars...
Old 10-26-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
What all seasons are people driving through the winter? I dont drive my Grand Cherokee enough to warrant two sets of tires, and im due for new all seasons.. I havent checked with the penny test yet, but i can see the wear bars...
When I used to have a GC, I always had good luck with Michelin M/S tires year round. The rest of the car, not so much luck (and crooked dealership...)
Old 10-26-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
what tire size are you looking for?