Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Do you change the tires from the rims each season? That's not ideal but I know some folks do that.

I'm definitely a winter tire advocate and think most all-season tires are inappropriate in winter but that opinion is made clear in the many threads about this topic.

If your all-seasons are currently worn to their wear indicators I'd get them replaced before taking a road trip. They will hydroplane far easier if you encounter rain. I've experienced this and it's unnerving to say the least.

As for the Blizzaks, I'd get them installed on separate rims (steel rims are fine) and put them on when high temps are expected not to climb above 40-50ºF. The compound on all-seasons is somewhat harder than Blizzaks and lose some grip in cooler temps. I had Blizzaks with my GTI and loved them. They just got sold with the car a couple months ago.

I just picked up a set of Michelin winter tires on BBS wheels for my Tiguan and they'll be going on soon.
Exactly what Saab said. Got my winter steel rims from tire rack. Plus it saves a few buck cause you dont have to remount and balance on factory rims, usually alloy and easily damaged.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:23 AM

Whenever we go snowboarding (and I live a LONG way from the mountains) we use winter (not snow) tires. Usually mounted to some second hand rims. And have a set of chains in the trunk.

Snow tires will wear out pretty quickly and handle like crap in corners (if you care about that sort of thing). But they are quite a bit better than winter tires as long as there is no ice.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainNoise View Post
If it rains you're gonna have some fun alright!!!!

Why chance it? I don't understand.
It's strictly a time thing. If we had a few more days available, I'd just get the summer tires replaced. I'm thinking I might see if we can get them replaced while we're in KC, but even when we bought the snow tires it took awhile for the shop to order them. Add to that I haven't even thought about what I will buy, so the necessary research hasn't even been started. I thought that was going to be a wintertime activity.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Do you change the tires from the rims each season? That's not ideal but I know some folks do that.
I do have dedicated rims for the snows. If I make a last minute decision (today) to put them on, I can just do that in the driveway. Not sure our regular mechanic will have the space in his schedule today.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
I do have dedicated rims for the snows. .
Cool. I also live in the Chicagoland area and while we don't get nearly as much snow here as I used to experience in the Twin Cities and in western Michigan, it's still good to go with proper winter tires.

I'm not quite sure what the difference would be with "winter" tires versus "snow" tires as mentioned above. Maybe studs? I see Blizzaks and other similar tires from other brands to be all the tire needed for winter driving with cold, wet roads often covered with snow or slush.

Yes, sporty cornering performance is definitely down with winter tires but that's hardly surprising. It's like the difference between a rugged gravel tire and a fine cotton tubular. They're not meant for the same conditions and perform differently for their respective intended use.

I used to drive weekly between Grand Rapids, MI and Chicago and the number of cars I saw in the ditch between December and February was astonishing. Many were SUVs and pickups, presumably providing their drivers with a false sense of security due to their AWD or 4x4 systems, which do virtually nothing to actually help in snowy or slushy conditions. Good tires are your friend.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:52 AM

Put all season tires on and be done with it.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:54 AM

It's pretty awesome to have two sets of wheels in snow country, one with real snows, the other with summer tires. Have done that for decades, I wouldn't take tires worn to wear indicators on a highway trip, more worried about rain and hydroplaning than snow.

Aside: we had two Honda Fits for maybe 8 years, with two sets of wheels each. I still have mine, but hers morphed into our Hyundai PHEV. So I have three sets of wheels for the 08 Fit, and the summer tires are kinda worn, so, given that the car has 109,000 miles on it, and it's getting 2,000 miles/year and even fewer with COVID19, I'm just running the snows. No highway miles, just here on MV.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
It's strictly a time thing. If we had a few more days available, I'd just get the summer tires replaced. I'm thinking I might see if we can get them replaced while we're in KC, but even when we bought the snow tires it took awhile for the shop to order them. Add to that I haven't even thought about what I will buy, so the necessary research hasn't even been started. I thought that was going to be a wintertime activity.
You could order just tires or tires mounted on new wheels from Tire Rack and have them delivered to one of their approved installers near your destination so you would only have iffy tires one way.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:03 AM

I love having dedicated summer and winter tires/wheels.

I waited for good deals on used OEM wheels for both of our daily divers. They both wear 18s in the summer and 17s in the winter. In the grand scheme of things, it’s really not much more expensive. Both sets of tires see half of the miles so you sort of buy twice the tires half as often. You just have the upfront cost of the second set of wheels. Cheap if you buy used OEM. I’ve also found mid-level summer and winter tires perform better than high-end all seasons. It wouldn’t surprise me if the cost over the entire lifecycle is cheaper.

It’s basically win-win if you have the space to store the extra wheels. It even lets you change up the look of your car. I can’t decide if I like my summer or winter look better.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
You could order just tires or tires mounted on new wheels from Tire Rack.
Tire Rack is an option, I suppose, but I don't need wheels...
Old 10-24-2020, 11:50 AM

If your AS are worn and due for replacement, their performance in rain will be suspect let alone in snow.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Tire Rack is an option, I suppose, but I don't need wheels...
The Tire Rack order idea is just to be sure the tires you want are available at your destination. COSTCO has a pretty good stock of popular sizes in stock at many locations too.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:23 PM

What's the average temperature where you are and where you'll be going?

Snow tires are generally meant to perform in temperatures below 45 degrees.

If it's close to that, I'd just put on the snow tires.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daan View Post
we use winter (not snow) tires
what are these? winter tires not made for snow? huh?
Old 10-24-2020, 06:55 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
what are these? winter tires not made for snow? huh?
maybe he means studded snow tires....as opposed to winter tires like Blizzaks and that type?