Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2020, 02:16 PM

On paper the smart money is on Tao to take it tomorrow, we shell see if the pink jersey can give Hindley some wings.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
You've been falling asleep with the Vuelta, but are riveted by the Giro? Wow. This years Giro is one of the worst races (other than today) in the last 2 decades. Almost everyday has been a 6 minute break up the road and the peloton just chugging along protecting Almieda. There's been like 3, maybe 4, good stages.

And as for the Vuelta. What exactly do you like in GT racing, cause its only on day 5 and the first three stages were up and down with uphill finishes and drama that affected all the overall contenders - not to mention the additional "what will Froome be?" drama. Has a GT ever begun like this? What keeps you awake is what I'd like to know?
I like watching GC contenders having a dig at each other as much as the next guy, but what I also like about GT racing is watching the personalities, the surprises and the drama unfold over three weeks. Giro this year has offered plenty of that, for whatever reasons. Almeida and Quickstep wouldn't have been anyone's pick for GC. The same goes for Jai and Tao. Look at what happened and how it all unfolded. A 22-year old underdog in pink for two weeks itself is pretty epic, let alone having two white jerseys going at it on the last day. The first half wasn't all that captivating because of all of the flat stages, but there was still a debut guy like Ganna dominating TT and winning stage 5, and a desperate Sagan winning a spectacular and probably one last GT stage..etc. Cycling drama is manifested in many ways, and I for one don't think we will forget the 2020 Giro anytime soon, all the shenanigans included.

The Vuelta this year is a repeat of TDF – Roglic/Jumbo slowly but surely controlling GC. You can throw in other characters, and there are more hills/mountains, but I think we are gonna watch a lot of one guy in the leader's jeasey protected by a big team chugging along in the peleton.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:00 PM

Hindsight being 20/20 Sunweb should have protected Kelderman and won the Giro. 50 miles of chasing killed him the other day. He is still only 1.5 minutes of without the support.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtn View Post
and a desperate Sagan winning a spectacular and probably one last GT stage
You think he's over the hill? He's only 30.