Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2020, 09:28 AM

Winter Momentum

How do you keep active in the winter?

I’ve had a great summer of riding (about 3x a week), mostly mountain biking on local trails. As it gets cooler nearby Minneapolis I am panicking a little about keeping momentum this winter. Usually I end up in a puddle of SAD by February. I’ve considered an indoor cycle, but there are so many things I’d rather spend $3000 on.

For now I am planning to convert my mountain bike to a half fat and continue riding trails. Riding 3x per week seems less feasible though.

What do you do?

(not my bike attached below)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8111E9B5-F83D-427B-B1FF-E600A70CCD37.jpg (147.0 KB, 385 views)

Last edited by Netdewt; 09-27-2020 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netdewt View Post
How do you keep active in the winter?

I’ve had a great summer of riding (about 3x a week), mostly mountain biking on local trails. As it gets cooler nearby Minneapolis I am panicking a little about keeping momentum this winter. Usually I end up in a puddle of SAD by February. I’ve considered an indoor cycle, but there are so many things I’d rather spend $3000 on.

For now I am planning to convert my mountain bike to a half fat and continue riding trails. Riding 3x per week seems less feasible though.

What do you do?
Not to be harsh, but either move out of the upper Midwest or get yourself a direct mount trainer.

It was a bit more difficult back when they didn't exist, as rollers, while having good road feel, was just awfully boring. We all react to different types of mental stimulation, but for me, riding with avatars on Zwift (along with a trainer that adjusts difficulty) really made a difference.

Also, get a happy lamp (full spectrum lights) for those really dreary days.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:42 AM

I ride the trainer about six months a year on average, although the last year it’s been more like eight because of work. We see a little dark and cold up here as well.

Zwift and a direct-drive trainer have pretty much been my go-to stress relief while I am at remote radar sites. I have to pace myself so I don’t burn myself out.

Whatever you do, keep moving. SAD has a problem hitting a moving target.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:56 AM

I play a little hockey, maybe run steps, and of course ride the trainer. I have a cheaper spin type bike that I use. I can work up a decent sweat on it. I'm in Michigan so I feel your winter pain!! Just too hard to get outside when it's so cold and/or snowy and icy. I also lift weights year round and in the winter months I do body weight squats and lunges for high reps. These have all worked for me for years now. Good luck!
Old 09-27-2020, 12:13 PM

Where you live you need to be on XC skis. Learn to skate ski or just cruise around. They have groomed trails everywhere.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:28 PM

When I lived in the Midwest the gray was overwhelming, I had to take vitamin D supplements. I joined a gym in the winter so I could sign up for spin classes, they weren't much for fitness but I was then committed and money paid so I would show up. Once I was warmed up from the class they were cool with me doing my own workout on the bike after the class was over. Weekends I got outside for some vitamin D and fresh air, either riding or skiing.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:42 PM

Buy an airtight stove, turn off your furnace, and start splitting wood.

Yer welcome!
Old 09-27-2020, 02:54 PM

Here in DC it has been full time commuting that has kept me on the saddle all winter. May not be the case this year.

Also, a local group here hosts a "Freezing Saddles" winter biking competition each year. Friendly fun and games keeps people out and about too.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
Here in DC it has been full time commuting that has kept me on the saddle all winter. May not be the case this year.

Also, a local group here hosts a "Freezing Saddles" winter biking competition each year. Friendly fun and games keeps people out and about too.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
The winters in DC are quite different from that in the upper Midwest.

Other than a few training sessions (usually about 8-10/year), I would be able to ride outdoors when I was in DC. Here, one would be lucky to get in 8-10 outdoor rides from early January until early March.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:44 PM

Ride in the velodrome, covid project, currently at 10,116 laps since the second week in July. Intending to go for the national age group hour record in the early new year.

Last edited by m_sasso; 09-27-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:48 PM

Get a proper fatbike. Half-fat isn't allowed on groomed trails. You need at least a 3.8" tire on at least a 65mm rim. There's some amazing riding around that area all winter, and fatbikes are a blast in the summer too.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:50 PM

I commuted by bike year round north of Chicago... Now I am outside of Boston and this year I will be looking to mountain bike two or three time a week. Hoping for a low snow year
Old 09-27-2020, 05:18 PM

Umm.... keep riding!

I laugh in the face of winter!

My winters usually end up like this. My front sidewalk by January. Why let it stop you?

Old 09-27-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Not to be harsh, but either move out of the upper Midwest or get yourself a direct mount trainer.
Yeah moving isn’t happening.

I do have a Campy 10 road bike that I rarely ride lately. It would be nice on a trainer, but the downside is my wife could not use it without a hassle or 2 trainers. I have had rollers and a Kinetic trainer, I never used them.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
Where you live you need to be on XC skis. Learn to skate ski or just cruise around. They have groomed trails everywhere.
It’s silly, maybe, but XC skiing seems horrible to me. When I’ve done it in the past it felt like walking with big sticks on, and that’s about it.