Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2015, 03:20 PM
The B!

General opinions of American Classic wheels?

Howdy

Local guy has a barely used set of American Classic 38 carbon tubulars for a good price. 1245g is a full 100g off my current wheel weight, and mine are starting to get a little rough anyway.... I trued before my last gluing, and 1000 miles later the rear's already kissing the brake pad again.

Surprisingly, I'm not finding much on Am Class wheels here on the board. The Almighty Googlez has sort of mixed feelings on them... Some folks think they're the beezneez, others say much too flimsy. I've had a few sets cross my path, but I've yet not actually ridden any, myself.

Thoughts in general? Any experience with this wheelset in particular?

Thanks

-B
Old 02-05-2015, 03:40 PM

I have a pair of AC's on a 29er MTB, sealed up and running tubeless. Zero issues in seven years of mtbing, and almost as light as Stan's race wheels. My experience probably doesn't translate well to carbon tubular road wheels, but I'm happy with the brand.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:49 PM

I know Tom Kellogg swears by them, and he is pretty straight forward with stuff.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
I know Tom Kellogg swears by them, and he is pretty straight forward with stuff.
If Tom swears by them, then they've got to be good! Seriously...

My personal experience has been with a couple set of AC350s. They rode fine and were nice and light. However, the braking with them was terrible. I had the AC350s on one of my bikes for about a year before changing over to a set of Ksyrium SLs. The first time I hit the front brakes with the Kysriums, it almost threw me over the front of the bike. There was that much of a braking difference between the AC350s and the Kysriums!

Texbike
Old 02-05-2015, 04:01 PM

2 sets

I have a magnesium set, and another clincher set--light, fast, but go outta true frequently--as least for me--one set on my wife's bike seems to stay true.
maybe 150 lb limit?
Old 02-05-2015, 04:22 PM

I have three pairs...one on my MTB, no issues. Well, the previous owner cracked the axle end cap, had to replace it. And the spoke nipples seem to be frozen to the spokes.

Also have a Sprint 350 set, put around 20k on them. The braking track is narrow and not good. Spoke nipples also frozen to the spokes. (they round off before they break loose) Conversion from Shimano 10 to Campy required a redish, and the largest sprocket (11sp) rubbed the hub, had to use some shims on the axle to shift the FH body away from the hub shell.

Third set are CR 420s, haven't used them much. Took them to France and the braking is again not good...especially in the mountains when it is raining...
Old 02-05-2015, 04:47 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
I have three pairs...one on my MTB, no issues. Well, the previous owner cracked the axle end cap, had to replace it. And the spoke nipples seem to be frozen to the spokes.

Also have a Sprint 350 set, put around 20k on them. The braking track is narrow and not good. Spoke nipples also frozen to the spokes. (they round off before they break loose) Conversion from Shimano 10 to Campy required a redish, and the largest sprocket (11sp) rubbed the hub, had to use some shims on the axle to shift the FH body away from the hub shell.

Third set are CR 420s, haven't used them much. Took them to France and the braking is again not good...especially in the mountains when it is raining...
Both of those have alloy brake tracks, don't they?
Old 02-05-2015, 05:51 PM

Yes, and thus not useful information for you...
Old 02-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
Yes, and thus not useful information for you...
True a lot of them. Overhauled a lot of them. Not a fan of their 'one pawl' FH type. Not a fan. Flimsy with poor hubs, IMHO.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:38 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
True a lot of them. Overhauled a lot of them. Not a fan of their 'one pawl' FH type. Not a fan. Flimsy with poor hubs, IMHO.
but so light, and cheap
Old 02-05-2015, 10:19 PM

have the 420s, an older pair. Love em and ride them near every day. Mine are older and require hub maintenance but are otherwise fine.

At the right price I would get them again in a heartbeat.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:43 PM
cmg

several sets of AC350s. what do want to know? in order to make 350gram rims something has to give. The brake track/clincher area is thin, has to be. All 350s come in the 32 rear/28 front spoke configuration. the 1300 gram wheelset will come with sapim spokes, 1400g will be double butted, thinner on the front. If you like to throw the bike around side to side you will flex the rims. If you like to pedal through turns above 21-23 mph you will introduce a flex/bobing into the set. These will also be the lightest, easest to spin up alumnim rims you can find. coupled with a 200g rear, 150g front tire and 50gram tubes will put around at around tubular wheel weight. adjusting the rear hub bearings is a bit finicky but that relies more on bearing quality. Swapping bearing instructions is on the website. i'm 200lbs and i like them but i don't throw them around, pedal through turns above 20mph or brake extensively. For club riding they're my go to wheels but i'm not hitting very high speeds, 23mph or less on south texas rollers. Had a set of stans alpha 340 rims built in the same 32/28 spk configuration and cracked the rear rim 6 months later. I would imagine the mag rims would be weaker. the current models have gone to a slightly wider rim. my opinion.........

Last edited by cmg; 02-05-2015 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:12 AM

Them and Ritchey wheels are decent. Good price.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:01 PM

General opinions of American Classic wheels?

I've got 350s. Broke one spoke on the front and one on the back. They ride nice enough with 25c tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 02-06-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B View Post
Howdy

Local guy has a barely used set of American Classic 38 carbon tubulars for a good price. 1245g is a full 100g off my current wheel weight, and mine are starting to get a little rough anyway.... I trued before my last gluing, and 1000 miles later the rear's already kissing the brake pad again.

Surprisingly, I'm not finding much on Am Class wheels here on the board. The Almighty Googlez has sort of mixed feelings on them... Some folks think they're the beezneez, others say much too flimsy. I've had a few sets cross my path, but I've yet not actually ridden any, myself.

Thoughts in general? Any experience with this wheelset in particular?

Thanks

-B
Might be similar to a set I built over 10 years ago......my set came under 1200 grams. Zipp 38 carbon rims and AC hubs (micro front). The rims were ok, a bit soft and don't like a solid glue job. The AC hubs......below average. If the price is right it could be a fun wheel set for a few months because it's light.