Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you buy the book described for $150 -$175 if all donations went to charity?
Yes, I would buy a cool cycling book for that price. 4 16.00%
No, price is too expensive. 21 84.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2020, 07:44 PM

Biking Coffee Table Books

I am working on making a picture coffee table book of my cycling photos for 2020. The plan is the donate all the money (not net but all the money) made from the sales to the nonprofit foundation for my kids school district. The issue I am having is that I want to create a hardcover 8x10 landscape book with quality gloss paper. The book will have about 80 pages. The cost to produce it is going to be around $100 per book. I personally don't want to spend more than $1000 on this project so I think I would only sell 10 copies for around $150-$175. Is anyone willing to spend that kind of money on a book like this?

here are some drafts and examples of content.

Last edited by joosttx; 10-24-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:53 PM

Can you make a calendar, 150 is a lot
FWIW
Old 10-24-2020, 08:17 PM

great idea (and pics) but that price might be a limiter.
Charity or not 150 is a lot for a book.

To get maximum return on your efforts how about a calendar that you can do every year over a 5-10 year period? Calendar production costs a lot less so lower costs and greater utility in the community. A calendar anyone can use, a bike coffee table book maybe not such broad appeal.

You may even be able to sell advertising space on the calendar that goes directly to the charity.

Great exposure that local companies can tender for, or you can do a lottery that a heap of companies donate a said amount to enter and the lucky winner gets naming rights for that year.

Lower initial entry cost as a donation with the chance to get prime exposure in the local community.

good luck.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:10 PM

I wouldn’t buy it, not due to the price, but because it’s too niche (edit: to me). If it was a more iconic riding area like the alps, then yes, I could arguably justify the cost. I have spent that much on coffee table books before.

I have a Rapha book about the Northern Alps and it’s fantastic and was like... £35? Appreciate there’s economies of scale at play but $150 is too much for a book about an area that doesn’t mean anything to me.

Probably not your target audience, though

Last edited by jkbrwn; 10-25-2020 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
I wouldn’t buy it, not due to the price, but because it’s too niche. If it was a more iconic riding area like the alps, then yes, I could arguably justify the cost. I have spent that much on coffee table books before.

I have a Rapha book about the Northern Alps and it’s fantastic and was like... £35? Appreciate there’s economies of scale at play but $150 is too much for a book about an area that doesn’t mean anything to me.

Probably not your target audience, though
Marin is the birthplace of mountain biking--hard to say that's not iconic.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:53 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I like the calendar idea, especially if you can do it for, say, $30 or less each.

(that figure's somewhat arbitrary, but IMO anything close to $50 seems like a lot for a calendar, even if you get to enjoy it for an entire year and the proceeds go to charity).
Old 10-25-2020, 12:12 AM

What about a gofundme type thing where people can donate to the cause but also put in at amounts that get the donor a copy of the book, and/or a calendar? ...and for the VIP level donation a group ride with you on a favorite route?

Maybe a lower tier donation gets a high resolution pic for desktop wallpaper or something. Could even do unframed prints. Lots of options.

Just a thought.

EDIT: The pics are awesome, btw.

Last edited by nighthawk; 10-25-2020 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Marin is the birthplace of mountain biking--hard to say that's not iconic.
Fair point. I ride road bikes exclusively, so it didn't even cross my mind I am also English, so it just doesn't have much meaning to me.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:27 AM

Just one more perspective. Love the project, LOVE the photos, but yes $150 is too much for ME. It may not be if you have a local target audience and you are looking at that group.

But would agree that the combo of high price plus a place I have never ridden and don't have any direct relation to makes it a bridge too far. Good luck with the project!
Old 10-25-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
What about a gofundme type thing where people can donate to the cause but also put in at amounts that get the donor a copy of the book, and/or a calendar? ...and for the VIP level donation a group ride with you on a favorite route?

Maybe a lower tier donation gets a high resolution pic for desktop wallpaper or something. Could even do unframed prints. Lots of options.

Just a thought.

EDIT: The pics are awesome, btw.
We do auctions every year so your idea would fit with that. Thank you.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
Just one more perspective. Love the project, LOVE the photos, but yes $150 is too much for ME. It may not be if you have a local target audience and you are looking at that group.

But would agree that the combo of high price plus a place I have never ridden and don't have any direct relation to makes it a bridge too far. Good luck with the project!
Totally, I have already about 8 people local are who want it. I guess my concern was that there was more demand. So I guess 10 copies at that price would work. Maybe I’ll make 12 or so. That way I get to do it right with really quality materials.

Last edited by joosttx; 10-25-2020 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Totally, I have already about 8 people local are who want it. I guess my concern was that there was more demand. So I guess 10 copies at that price would work. Maybe I’ll make 12 or so. That way I get to do it right with really quality materials.
how is this project going?

I've been meaning to ask for a while now.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
how is this project going?

I've been meaning to ask for a while now.
It is going well. I sold out of the first publication quickly. I was able to get a deal on the publishing so I was able to drop the price considerably. I been getting quite a few requests for more copies so instead of just ordering them, I am selling the books on the blurb.com website. So far I think sold just north of 40 books (which is 4x what I would planning). I am finishing up the 2019 edition and collecting images for the 2021.

You can buy it here:

https://www.blurb.com/b/10424648-bik...in-county-2020

I actually sold one to a person in Australia.

I don't think anyone from Paceline bought one. Folks "across the hall" have even though I haven't posted there in years.

Last edited by joosttx; 01-30-2021 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:47 PM

excellent. Whats the charity again, I don't think it's mentioned on the Blurb page. 2020 has slammed our businesses (both rely on traveling or sports meetings) and 2021 is going to be a long crawl back so I won't be buying the book anytime soon. Maybe in 2022. Great to see your project going well.

BTW is Marin fighting back against Arkansas claiming world MTB capital on its publicity drive?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg huh .jpg (83.2 KB, 56 views)
Old 01-30-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
excellent. Whats the charity again, I don't think it's mentioned on the Blurb page. 2020 has slammed our businesses (both rely on traveling or sports meetings) and 2021 is going to be a long crawl back so I won't be buying the book anytime soon. Maybe in 2022. Great to see your project going well.

BTW is Marin fighting back against Arkansas claiming world MTB capital on its publicity drive?
KIKschools.org. Only 20% (profits) are going to the charity now.