Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2020, 12:27 AM

Considering Switching out Wheels on the Yamaguchi--thoughts?

This thought has been bouncing around in my head for a while now, but today it really took hold:

What say you to swapping out the wheels on this bike for a new pair of Zondas? The current wheels are silver Record hubs laced 32/32 to Mavic A119 rims.

Both are round and roll, thus fulfilling the primary function of any pair of wheels. Really, the differences lie in two areas:

1. Aesthetics.

I personally like the classic look of the current wheels a lot. I am slightly unsure of the looks of the Zonda wheels--seems kind of radical. But maybe it's a good kind of radical?

2. Weight.

If the Zondas are anywhere close to the 1550 grams the interwebz say that they weigh, they will be more than three pounds lighter than the current wheels (which somehow weigh more than six and a half pounds without tires or cassette). That seems significant, doesn't it?

In any case, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Still one of my all-time favorite rides ever. Anywhere.

Open to comments on either point. Lots of photos of Yamaguchi's bikes rolling on carbon wheels in the late 90's (period-correct for this frame). Maybe I should be saving up for something that would be an even bigger departure from the current wheels in both aesthetics and functionality? Maybe I should just spring to have the hubs relaced to a rim that is not so overbuilt as these rims seem to be?

Thoughts?
Old 10-25-2020, 12:35 AM

I vote, stay silver. Maybe relace hubs to a lighter silver rim? H+Son Archetypes would look nice. Not sure if lighter than the A119s though.

Re: aesthetics.. the G3 rear of the zondas looks unpleasant. But black wheels might look ok. Can you borrow something black to test?

Last edited by nighthawk; 10-25-2020 at 02:08 AM.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:26 AM

6.5 lbs for a set of wheels? Are your rims made of lead?

The Zondas really are that light, but G3 may not be the look you're going for with this classy steed. I'm gonna vote for lacing in something like an Open Pro, and call it done. It won't cost a lot, you'll drop some weight and it will look appropriate on this bike.

Interesting that the quoted weight for the A119 is 540 grams- so just swapping rims isn't even gonna save you a pound. Has your scale been calibrated lately? Or maybe this is a "new" A119?

Last edited by chismog; 10-25-2020 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:50 AM

https://us.huntbikewheels.com/produc...33272356896813

or

https://www.bike24.com/p2295858.html

Silver, light, modern widths. Boom!
Old 10-25-2020, 02:32 AM

Zonda's are great wheels but I think a classic like that deserves to be dressed in all silver wheels.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:27 AM

the best condition silver Shamals you can find.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:39 AM

Do those wheels really weight 6.5 lbs?
Old 10-25-2020, 04:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

1.Aesthetics- as in silver? I think black would look really good too. Like a pair of Bitex hubs laced to DT411. Silver? Bitex laced to Velocity A23.

Design the build with appropriate number and type of spokes..easily in the 1450-1550g range.

Quote:
Maybe I should be saving up for something that would be an even bigger departure from the current wheels in both aesthetics and functionality?

Maybe I should just spring to have the hubs relaced to a rim that is not so overbuilt as these rims seem to be?
Bigger departure? That rig cries for tubulars.
Carbon-Bitex laced to BTLOS shallow section carbon clinchers or....TUBULARS.

BUT, I can certainly relace those hubs to a variety of lighter, better rims. I'll give ya a free hub overhaul to boot.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:10 AM

Vintage Shamals or Mavic Cosmics
Old 10-25-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
the best condition silver Shamals you can find.
The black ones would look good. The silver spokes and skewers complement silver components nicely. They won’t be light though.

I have actually grown to appreciate black rims on most bikes. Spokes and skewers should always be silver though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66DFAB4A-D92C-45AA-80B7-D0E8C721FEB7.jpg (107.7 KB, 243 views)
Old 10-25-2020, 08:24 AM

Dude definitely get zonda c17s. It will ride and feel 100x better.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:57 AM

Black wheels can make the frame and components stand out.

My wife wanted seller everything with a white saddle and tape when we started her build. After the frame was secured and started coming together, it became obvious to both of us that black was the way to go.

(I still don’t like black spokes but admit it works here)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82749E0D-8D14-4F3D-BCFA-C9A2962AA036.jpg (138.3 KB, 233 views)
Old 10-25-2020, 10:45 AM

Appreciate the feedback from so many.

So, in the light of morning I double-checked the numbers in the original post, and they are not accurate. The actual weight of the naked wheels is just under 4.5 pounds (~2.1 kg). Checked on my scale, and confirmed it by sneaking the food scale out of the kitchen.

This being the case, the move to Zondas would drop just over a pound. Now that's not nothing, but it's not quite as drastic as my mistaken numbers had predicted. With that in mind, I ask myself: is it worth it?

Visually, I agree that the black can work as well as the silver, but I remain unconvinced about the lacing of the rear wheel with this particular frame. I think I'm leaning toward the rebuild route--time to poke around for the most suitable 32/32 rims that are out there.

Very open to further comments and suggestions. The idea of tubulars carries a certain mystique, but it just feels like such a big commitment.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exapkib View Post
Appreciate the feedback from so many.

So, in the light of morning I double-checked the numbers in the original post, and they are not accurate. The actual weight of the naked wheels is just under 4.5 pounds (~2.1 kg). Checked on my scale, and confirmed it by sneaking the food scale out of the kitchen.

This being the case, the move to Zondas would drop just over a pound. Now that's not nothing, but it's not quite as drastic as my mistaken numbers had predicted. With that in mind, I ask myself: is it worth it?

Visually, I agree that the black can work as well as the silver, but I remain unconvinced about the lacing of the rear wheel with this particular frame. I think I'm leaning toward the rebuild route--time to poke around for the most suitable 32/32 rims that are out there.

Very open to further comments and suggestions. The idea of tubulars carries a certain mystique, but it just feels like such a big commitment.
That makes sense....6.5 pounds was an eye-popping weight for sure.
As for saving just over a pound...it's not a huge difference, but certainly if you're going to notice it anywhere, it's in the wheels.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:17 AM

The difference will be noticeable