Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati2 View Post
That’s the one. They are technically vents for air flow. The have a fine but sturdy mesh on the inside. They would work well as pockets for small items. In fact, I could fit my large Samsung phone in the pocket with room to spare.
Thanks.

Is the Rapha sizing chart accurate? You chose XL.
Which colour did you opt for?

Last edited by jpw; 10-24-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:44 PM

Hard to say on sizing. I can buy XL or XXL in the non race fit Rapha kit. I initially thought XXL on this one to accommodate layering. I think they have built that into the jacket. I am 6’ 1” and about 185 pounds. The XXL would not have worked for me. I definitely did not want black since this jacket will see a lot of night riding. I was originally thinking orange but settled on the brown. I love orange but this wasn’t a nice color for me. I really like the brown as it’s a bit unusual, should stay clean, and will give good contrast. The jacket has a ton of very bright reflective material on the front and back too.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati2 View Post
Hard to say on sizing. I can buy XL or XXL in the non race fit Rapha kit. I initially thought XXL on this one to accommodate layering. I think they have built that into the jacket. I am 6’ 1” and about 185 pounds. The XXL would not have worked for me. I definitely did not want black since this jacket will see a lot of night riding. I was originally thinking orange but settled on the brown. I love orange but this wasn’t a nice color for me. I really like the brown as it’s a bit unusual, should stay clean, and will give good contrast. The jacket has a ton of very bright reflective material on the front and back too.
I'm going to have to get my hands on one. The Rapha size chart suggests an M for my body dimensions, which from your description will allow for a base layer and a mid layer, but nothing too bulky.

Does it feel quite breathable?

I think I'll be fine with with sleeves that are a little bit longer. I prefer that to too short. I just hope they're not too loose. I can't abide flappy sleeves in the wind. It doesn't sag in the abdomen area in the riding position does it? That would not be fine.

"I love orange but this wasn’t a nice color for me." So this particular 'Rapha orange' is a bit too.. vivid... for your taste? I prefer orange to yellow on a bike. Yellow makes me feel somehow like I've contributed to being 'categorised' as a 'cyclist' by drivers, making me fair game as a target for certain mindless motorists. The brown does look rather nice. I'm not too sure how visible that would be though on overcast days. It would be a good choice for off-road gravel riding.

Last edited by jpw; 10-25-2020 at 03:20 AM.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:46 PM

Brown is the New Pink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post
I'm going to have to get my hands on one. The Rapha size chart suggests an M for my body dimensions, which from your description will allow for a base layer and a mid layer, but nothing too bulky.

Does it feel quite breathable?

I think I'll be fine with with sleeves that are a little bit longer. I prefer that to too short. I just hope they're not too loose. I can't abide flappy sleeves in the wind. It doesn't sag in the abdomen area in the riding position does it? That would not be fine.

"I love orange but this wasn’t a nice color for me." So this particular 'Rapha orange' is a bit too.. vivid... for your taste? I prefer orange to yellow on a bike. Yellow makes me feel somehow like I've contributed to being 'categorised' as a 'cyclist' by drivers, making me fair game as a target for certain mindless motorists. The brown does look rather nice. I'm not too sure how visible that would be though on overcast days. It would be a good choice for off-road gravel riding.
And "taupe" will soon be the new brown.
Edit: And "sideway" pics will be the new "vertical" pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5008.jpg (148.7 KB, 92 views)
Old 10-28-2020, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
If you're going sideways you're actually going backwards. Ever onward! :-)

Nice colours for off-road and trail. Very calm and mellow. I like it. For the road it has to be something a bit brighter, but not yellow.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:31 AM

I notice that the women's jacket has a two-way zip. How discriminatory of Rapha.

Even Rapha's helpful customer support agent told me he thinks the design team's decision to give the men's jacket only a one-way zip makes no sense. What were they thinking of? Do they ride bicycles?

Last edited by jpw; 10-28-2020 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
What phone do you use?
Old 10-28-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
What phone do you use?
I think this issue came up a couple of weeks ago in another thread. There was a clear technical explanation, although I forget what it was.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post
I think this issue came up a couple of weeks ago in another thread. There was a clear technical explanation, although I forget what it was.
It's probably locked in portrait mode even when shooting landscape or he's left handed....since I believe most cameras on phones are oriented for a right handed person to drop the camera counter clockwise to shoot landscape.

Whatever it is it needs to be fixed.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
It's probably locked in portrait mode even when shooting landscape or he's left handed....since I believe most cameras on phones are oriented for a right handed person to drop the camera counter clockwise to shoot landscape.

Whatever it is it needs to be fixed.
Yes. You would think that AI could solve this problem behind the scenes.