Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2020, 07:44 AM

Bumping this to see if anyone has feedback on these proprietary American Classic nipples.
They're aluminum but claim to solve the breaking issue with aluminum nipples so you can benefit from the weight savings reliably.

Mentioned in this video
https://youtu.be/WnQlRBm0r_s?t=240

and this article about mid way down.
https://bikerumor.com/2009/09/29/int...-tubeless-mtb/

Has anyone had issues with them?
Old 10-24-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Bumping this to see if anyone has feedback on these proprietary American Classic nipples.
They're aluminum but claim to solve the breaking issue with aluminum nipples so you can benefit from the weight savings reliably.

Mentioned in this video
https://youtu.be/WnQlRBm0r_s?t=240

and this article about mid way down.
https://bikerumor.com/2009/09/29/int...-tubeless-mtb/

Has anyone had issues with them?
These types of nipples are not unique to American Classic. Sapim has a version called https://www.sapim.be/nipples/design/double-square:

DT Swiss has their own variation they call Squarx nipples:

Interestingly, even though Double Square and Squarx nipples are available in aluminum, both companies say the advantage of this design is for ease of wheel buidling (particularly automated building with machines), and neither claim that they stronger or more durable.

I have not used any of the nipples, but I can't see why they'd be any worse than other nipples.

Last edited by Mark McM; 10-24-2020 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:29 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
These types of nipples are not unique to American Classic. Sapim has a version called https://www.sapim.be/nipples/design/double-square:

Interestingly, even though Double Square and Squarx nipples are available in aluminum, both companies say the advantage of this design is for each of machine building, and neither claim that they stronger or more durable.

I have not used any of the nipples, but I can't see why they'd be any worse than other nipples.
I have built many wheels using DT Squorx nipples..both alloy and brass and they build like any nipple. Nothing really different, at least when building with them. I have used them for light weight wheels, non DT but want lighter and I have used just Sapim 14mm Brass for some DT rims that 'call' for these..(yes, i used nipple washers for those DT rims that called for them).

BUT..the advantage, IMHO, is the ability to turn the alloy nipple with the tool, rather than a spoke wrench..less stripped nipples..Particulalry for rims like DT511, where the nipple doesn't protrude all that much.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:35 AM

I have used both the Squorx and double square nips and unless there is a reason not too (such as the shallowest of rims) I will continue to choose them in the future. I just like building wheels with the T-handle driver from that side of the rim. The traditional flats never get touched unless a few adjustments are needed after tire installation decreases tension or something. Some black nips can show marks from wrenches so this is a subtle advantage.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 10-24-2020 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:49 PM
Vendor

I was the Production Manager at American Classic. Depending on the age of these wheels, I probably made them. I could tell with pictures of them.

So, we used older Zipp 303(38mm) and 404(58mm) rims. We were originally using DT Swiss Aero bladed spokes but they switched to Chun Nan spokes after I left. Spoke nipples, it was standard 14ga, 12mm long brass or alloy DT spoke nipples. We did start using the longer style nipples after about 12 months(so 2003). It required an extra 2.5mm spoke length to make sure the spoke fully went thru the flat and to the end of the nipple.

I built more than a few of these wheels including for PEZ, Velonews and other magazines and websites. They worked really well. The only real issue we had was the drilling from Zipp. They didn't drill them really will and the spoke nipple bed wasn't straight/even. So the spoke nipples sometimes pushed on the side of the carbon fairing. Usually, we caught them before we built them and we did have some that cracked while building them up. If those aren't cracked or showing signs of side pressure, you're good. It was a really good solid wheel.

If you post pics, I can tell you details about them. I still have small parts for the hubs if you need something.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:14 PM

Hi, wondering if you could perhaps tell the what and when of this pair of 38mm carbon tubulars?
Bought these earlier this year and haven't used them yet.
Thanks in advance!

Old 10-24-2020, 03:46 PM

I was just bumping/ inquiring cuz a friend was looking at some 58 wheels on eBay and my digging brought up that video.

As always tho, interesting info from you Velocipede.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
I was the Production Manager at American Classic. Depending on the age of these wheels, I probably made them. I could tell with pictures of them.

So, we used older Zipp 303(38mm) and 404(58mm) rims. We were originally using DT Swiss Aero bladed spokes but they switched to Chun Nan spokes after I left. Spoke nipples, it was standard 14ga, 12mm long brass or alloy DT spoke nipples. We did start using the longer style nipples after about 12 months(so 2003). It required an extra 2.5mm spoke length to make sure the spoke fully went thru the flat and to the end of the nipple.

I built more than a few of these wheels including for PEZ, Velonews and other magazines and websites. They worked really well. The only real issue we had was the drilling from Zipp. They didn't drill them really will and the spoke nipple bed wasn't straight/even. So the spoke nipples sometimes pushed on the side of the carbon fairing. Usually, we caught them before we built them and we did have some that cracked while building them up. If those aren't cracked or showing signs of side pressure, you're good. It was a really good solid wheel.

If you post pics, I can tell you details about them. I still have small parts for the hubs if you need something.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:26 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Hi, wondering if you could perhaps tell the what and when of this pair of 38mm carbon tubulars?
Bought these earlier this year and haven't used them yet.
Thanks in advance!

These were after I left. These were probably made after 2006
- They are still the original Zipp 303(38mm) rims.
- Given the era these came from, these most likely have the extended spoke nipples.
- The spokes, I can't 100% tell what they are, but they look like DT Competition. I'm surprised it's as light as you mentioned with Competitions. But it's a 18/24h pair so it's possible.
- Hub wise, that's the 58 front and the 215 rear with the 17mm axle. We were switching to that when I left. It meant we didn't have to pull the end cap off the non-drive side anymore. Made things faster and easier.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:27 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
I was just bumping/ inquiring cuz a friend was looking at some 58 wheels on eBay and my digging brought up that video.

As always tho, interesting info from you Velocipede.
No worries. I've been in the industry a long time. There's a lot more I could detail out about the wheels I made and the specs.