Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2020, 11:44 AM

Cinelli Disc build

I got my Cinelli Superstar frame a couple of days ago and got started building the first disc brake equipped bike I've ever owned.

The frame has an excellent pearl white paint job. The frame is made in Taiwan, just like my Colnago C-RS frames. I weighed the frame and it came in at 990 grams, which isn't as light as advertised, probably due to the white paint, but it is lighter than my Colnago frames. The cut fork came in at 418 grams. I'm stealing parts from one of my Colnago bikes, so I don't have to buy bars, seatpost and stem, or the Force AXS components. If I like the bike it will replace one Colnago. Since I'm using existing parts, it will have mechanically operated brakes. I ordered some Juin Tech F1 flat mount mechanical/hydraulic calipers to try out. Wheels will be Fulcrum Racing 3 with the new Michelin tubeless tire that they recently introduced in 28mm.

I got the seatpost and saddle in the correct position, with 20mm more post exposed and 20mm of spacer under the -17 x 110 stem. The seat tube angle is a little steeper, so the saddle was moved back 5mm to get exactly the same saddle set back and the same tip of saddle to center of bars dimension.

The frame came with a Columbus fork and one of the best expansion plug designs I've seen. The only thing I didn't like was a 2mm thick flange on top that would require a 5mm spacer to be used on top of the stem. When I got done using my disc sander on it, there was no flange and no need for a top spacer.

Now I'm waiting for more parts to arrive.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:07 PM

Sweet frame. Looking forward to seeing the built rig.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:05 PM

I think the weight for the frame is:

Frame 970 g (size M) - Fork 440g (uncut)

But this excludes the rear derailleur hanger. So, your frame is not that far off.

It is a nice bike. I am faster on this than on my Tommasini but might actually prefer the ride of my tommasini.

Here is a picture of mine before I did the final cut on the steerer and cut the seat post (excessively long).

They list the frame as taking a max of 28mm tires but there is plenty of room and I think 30mm would fit easily and potentially even 32mm. Look forward to your build and please post pics and stuff on the build up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8233 (1).jpg (151.9 KB, 449 views)

Last edited by vespasianus; 10-22-2020 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:23 PM

The Cinelli is just about done, but my e-bay seller for the Juin-Tech F1 mechanical/hydraulic calipers took 4 days to ship, so I'm supposed to get the calipers on Monday. I got parts from Europe in 4 days.

I weighed the bike today and added 300 grams for the calipers and 30 grams for the bar tape for a total of 7.82 Kg, which is only 50 grams more than my rim brake bike, but that's mainly due to a frame and fork that's about 250 grams lighter. The Fulcrum racing 3 wheels are about 100 grams heavier than my Zondas and the 160mm Campy rotors add about 240 grams. The brake calipers are about the same. The 28mm tubeless tires are probably a little lighter than my 25mm tires with tubes. All other parts are the same.

If I compare this weight to those from bike manufacturers it would be 7.52Kg, to subtract pedals, bottle cages and computer. My cheap GRX crank adds 115 grams, compared to a Campy Chorus 12 crank, but it's worth it for the 46/30 chain rings.

The next thing to buy is some different brake pads. I've never seen a good review of stock pads. The calipers use Shimano XT or XTR pads, which I believe is like a swiss stop disc 28. I see four common pad compounds at their website. I'm light and use my brakes sparingly.

https://www.swissstop.ch/brakepads/discbrakes/

Here's a picture, taken under the red sun produced by today's smoky skies.

Old 10-24-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The Cinelli is just about done, but my e-bay seller for the Juin-Tech F1 mechanical/hydraulic calipers took 4 days to ship, so I'm supposed to get the calipers on Monday. I got parts from Europe in 4 days.

I weighed the bike today and added 300 grams for the calipers and 30 grams for the bar tape for a total of 7.82 Kg, which is only 50 grams more than my rim brake bike, but that's mainly due to a frame and fork that's about 250 grams lighter. The Fulcrum racing 3 wheels are about 100 grams heavier than my Zondas and the 160mm Campy rotors add about 240 grams. The brake calipers are about the same. The 28mm tubeless tires are probably a little lighter than my 25mm tires with tubes. All other parts are the same.

If I compare this weight to those from bike manufacturers it would be 7.52Kg, to subtract pedals, bottle cages and computer. My cheap GRX crank adds 115 grams, compared to a Campy Chorus 12 crank, but it's worth it for the 46/30 chain rings.

The next thing to buy is some different brake pads. I've never seen a good review of stock pads. The calipers use Shimano XT or XTR pads, which I believe is like a swiss stop disc 28. I see four common pad compounds at their website. I'm light and use my brakes sparingly.

https://www.swissstop.ch/brakepads/discbrakes/

Here's a picture, taken under the red sun produced by today's smoky skies.

Very nice!
Old 10-25-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
I think the weight for the frame is:

Frame 970 g (size M) - Fork 440g (uncut)

But this excludes the rear derailleur hanger. So, your frame is not that far off.

It is a nice bike. I am faster on this than on my Tommasini but might actually prefer the ride of my tommasini.

Here is a picture of mine before I did the final cut on the steerer and cut the seat post (excessively long).

They list the frame as taking a max of 28mm tires but there is plenty of room and I think 30mm would fit easily and potentially even 32mm. Look forward to your build and please post pics and stuff on the build up!
I don't understand the rear derailleur cable routing at the chainstay. I don't need it, but there is no cable stop at the hole near the RD and the hole really isn't big enough for one. There's also a bigger hole in the underside of the chain stay. My Colnago with internal routing has a cable stop.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I don't understand the rear derailleur cable routing at the chainstay. I don't need it, but there is no cable stop at the hole near the RD and the hole really isn't big enough for one. There's also a bigger hole in the underside of the chain stay. My Colnago with internal routing has a cable stop.
I ran a long length of housing from the rear derailleur to the end of the bottom bracket junction. The small hole near the flat part of the stay is to guide the cable through the chain stay. That bottom bracket cover has an extension for the cable to fit in. I think I have a cable ferule at the end as it goes into the plastic cover.

I had actually asked Cinelli-USA about routing but ended up getting the correct information from this thread:

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...76204#p1576204
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Version 3.jpg (123.0 KB, 279 views)

Last edited by vespasianus; 10-26-2020 at 05:10 AM.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:14 PM

I got my Juin-Tech F1 brake calipers yesterday, 10 days after ordering them on eBay. Installation was easy, but the stiff yokozuna cables are a bit of a challenge. The calipers need to be installed first, using fingers to squeeze the lever arm and clamp the pads against the rotors to align the caliper while tightening the mounting bolts. Then comes the challenge of getting the stiff cable housing into the cable stop on the caliper. Once that's done you're home free. Putting the cable housing into the caliper first is much easier but the caliper will never align properly when being pushed by the stiff cable housing.

There's some dry road after Sunday's snow, so I went out to bed in the brake pads. I soon found out that it was easy to lock up a rear tire, so I'll have to learn to squeeze the rear lever more lightly.

I hope to go on a real ride soon, with the bike complete.

I found that the calipers use Shimano M775 style, pre 2011 pads. The only swissstop pads made in a 16 style have the disc C compound. I'm looking for other options and see galfer, Kool stop and miles all sell that style of pad but have no idea what might be the best option. Of course shimano has replacement pads too.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I got my Juin-Tech F1 brake calipers yesterday, 10 days after ordering them on eBay. Installation was easy, but the stiff yokozuna cables are a bit of a challenge. The calipers need to be installed first, using fingers to squeeze the lever arm and clamp the pads against the rotors to align the caliper while tightening the mounting bolts. Then comes the challenge of getting the stiff cable housing into the cable stop on the caliper. Once that's done you're home free. Putting the cable housing into the caliper first is much easier but the caliper will never align properly when being pushed by the stiff cable housing.

There's some dry road after Sunday's snow, so I went out to bed in the brake pads. I soon found out that it was easy to lock up a rear tire, so I'll have to learn to squeeze the rear lever more lightly.

I hope to go on a real ride soon, with the bike complete.

I found that the calipers use Shimano M775 style, pre 2011 pads. The only swissstop pads made in a 16 style have the disc C compound. I'm looking for other options and see galfer, Kool stop and miles all sell that style of pad but have no idea what might be the best option. Of course shimano has replacement pads too.
Love to hear your opinion of the frame and ride. Had a chance to ride?
Old 11-04-2020, 03:35 PM

I've ridden the bike three times now. The ride is quite good, with the 28mm tubeless tires running 65-70 psi up front and 5 more in the rear. It's a smaller frame with a 71degree HTA and 45mm of fork offset, with a little more trail than my Colnago.

I did find that the STA is 74.5 not 75, as listed. I took the saddle and post off my Colnago and found it had the same setback, without moving the saddle back.

The Juin-Tech F1 mechanical brakes use more cable pull than my Campy brakes, when attached to my SRAM AXS brake levers. I'm not thrilled with the old pad style that they use, but their braking power is adequate. Pad compound selection is limited.

I should have some Juin-Tech GT four piston brakes by Saturday, just in time for more bad weather. The calipers use a newer model brake pad. I'm going to remove the original pads and replace with Galfer standard pads. All I need is braking that matches my rim brakes to be satisfied.

Overall, no regrets on this purchase.
Old 11-04-2020, 04:24 PM
Resident Slacker

Quote:
I've ridden the bike three times now. The ride is quite good, with the 28mm tubeless tires running 65-70 psi up front and 5 more in the rear. It's a smaller frame with a 71degree HTA and 45mm of fork offset, with a little more trail than my Colnago.

I did find that the STA is 74.5 not 75, as listed. I took the saddle and post off my Colnago and found it had the same setback, without moving the saddle back.

The Juin-Tech F1 mechanical brakes use more cable pull than my Campy brakes, when attached to my SRAM AXS brake levers. I'm not thrilled with the old pad style that they use, but their braking power is adequate. Pad compound selection is limited.

I should have some Juin-Tech GT four piston brakes by Saturday, just in time for more bad weather. The calipers use a newer model brake pad. I'm going to remove the original pads and replace with Galfer standard pads. All I need is braking that matches my rim brakes to be satisfied.

Overall, no regrets on this purchase.
I don't like the pad options for the original Yokozuna/Juin-Techs either. The GT quad-pot brakes use the same pad as Shimano Saint, Zee and XT 8020 calipers so waaaay more options.

Surprisingly, my GT 4-pot postmount caliper weighs less than its 2-pot postmount equivalent.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:19 PM

I've got both of my Cinelli Superstar bikes running. One has the Juin-Tech F1 hydraulic/mechanical 2 piston disc brake calipers and the other has the new GT 4 piston calipers. With both now having the same Galfer standard brake pad material, and all calipers carefully centered, before installing the cable housing, I'm getting greatly improved performance from the F1 calipers, compared to the original Juin-Tech pads. Cable pull is now not a problem, even with the SRAM AXS brake levers adjusted as close to the bars as possible. The GT model feels more powerful, as I would expect, but both are quite capable.

I have to be careful when testing the brake's performance. As my speed gets low, it's fairly easy to lock up a tire, if I don't let off my grip. I can do the majority of my braking from the hoods with no problem. I rode one of my most demanding winding road descent yesterday with no problems.

I've now used both Yokozuna and Jagwire compressionless housing and I prefer the Jagwire.