Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 08-03-2018, 03:34 PM

Fit for climbing vs. sprinting

Is there any difference in the optimal fit for riding with a lot of climbing vs. with mostly flat?

Potential differences in the reach and the saddle height?
Old 08-03-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Is there any difference in the optimal fit for riding with a lot of climbing vs. with mostly flat?

N=1

I climb better seated when I've got more setback up to about 7-8% grades, then I tend to scooch forward to move more easily between sitting and standing.

For flats where I'm trying to put out consistent power while optimizing aero opportunities, I'm scooched forward and crouched down over the bars.

I have no idea if that's the right answer, but it's what comes to mind.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post

You can be fat and still do well on the flats.
Body position changes with grade but a proper bike fit should work in all conditions.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:22 AM

I was thinking about this while riding today.

I find that I climb better on steep gradients when my saddle is further forwards and tilted down.
Unfortunately, this becomes a little uncomfortable if there are extended periods of flat riding.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:59 PM
Princess Sweat

climbing climbing + sprinting sprinting?
or just climbing and sprinting?

With the first it's kind've obvious.

With the second...... Who cares? You're obviously not working hard enough so just get over the line already.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:09 PM

With climbing, I feel if it's more than 8% I will naturally move my center of gravity forward while seated. When sprinting in the drops, moving forward puts noticeably more pressure on my soft tissue (or perhaps that's just my saddle) and also makes my upper body less stretched out (and arguably less aero?).

There may be an optimal compromise in between, perhaps better left to a professional bike fitter to decide
Old 08-05-2018, 11:46 PM
Princess Sweat

Speaking of moving forward . . . move down.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:02 PM

ok .. if you read my thread on DIY bikefit .. i guess you probably know it already .. i'm a big fan of TiDesign's bikefit philosophy

if you search "TiDesign + climbing" .. you could probably know that it's more on how to use the correct muscles for climbing .. and the same principle for normal riding ..

in a nutshell .. use more glutes for climbing, and quads for accelerating on flat .. why? because glutes are strong and long lasting, while quads are powerful and faster muscle than glutes. but quads are not as long lasting as glutes.

the fit you are looking for is the fit that allow you to effectively use these muscles whenever you need them.

hopefully it's help. if not .. feel free to ignore
Old 08-08-2018, 03:46 PM

It all comes down to core strength. Both climbing and sprinting require a stable torso, which means lots of core strength. And you are engaging your glutes more, which causes you to place further demands on your back. Now everyone climbs differently from other people. Same for sprinting. As a result, there's no hard and fast rule about fit. And except for a few rare events you aren't going to be fitting a road bike solely for sprinting or climbing. What holds everything together is your flexibility and strength on the bike.