Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2014, 10:32 AM

OMG my shoes stink

I have a pair of newer Shimano mountain shoes that I wear for CX and mtb'ing and they have a funk that I can't seem to wash out. I've tried soaking them in detergent with Febreeze, washing them in a vinegar solution and powdering them with baking soda. The shoes smelled so bad after racing last weekend that my wife made me leave them outside.

Any advice on how to wash the funkiness out of these shoes?
Old 09-26-2014, 10:36 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Try Nature's Miracle. It gets organic scents (pets, kids, whatever) out of just about anything. Link is for a gallon, which may be overkill, but you never know. Soak the inserts and interiors well, let them dry, you should be good.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
Try Nature's Miracle. It gets organic scents (pets, kids, whatever) out of just about anything. Link is for a gallon, which may be overkill, but you never know. Soak the inserts and interiors well, let them dry, you should be good.
I've seen that stuff recommended for pet odors. I'll buy some and give it a try.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:17 AM

wash with detergent then wash with baking soda. Don't rinse the baking soda.

Put in a ziploc bag and stick it in the freezer for 2-3 days. The cold should help kill some of the odor causing bacteria.

Rinse dry and ride.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:24 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

I do this for gloves, and it works, but it may be a bit too expensive for shoes:

Buy more than one pair and alternate which ones you use to give them additional time to dry out thoroughly between rides.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:14 PM
The B!

Heavily foot-powdering my various stinky footwear has always worked for me. Climbing shoes, ski boots, bike shoes... bike shoes are hard, because they can get soaking wet from rain... they have to dry out thoroughly before you can have any expectation of them not stinking, though... this is why wet methods never seem to work- washing, lysol, liquid de-scenters, etc.... so if you're getting them wetter than sweat with any regularity, you might need to use Louis's method.

I powder the ···· out of my footwear, completely caking the inside, after every use. None of my shoes/boots/etc stink anymore.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:20 PM

Fire. Kill it with fire.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Vitus View Post
Fire. Kill it with fire.
I've unfortunately killed a few pairs by drowning. Maybe fire is the trick.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:34 PM

Location: I'm here, I'm there, I'm everywhere...I'm the egg-man
OMG my shoes stink

I know, I can smell it from here

Cheers mate!
Old 09-26-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpk501 View Post
wash with detergent then wash with baking soda. Don't rinse the baking soda.

Put in a ziploc bag and stick it in the freezer for 2-3 days. The cold should help kill some of the odor causing bacteria.

Rinse dry and ride.
THIS! I totally forgot about the freezer trick. I've done it with jeans and it works. Time to freeze my shoes.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:47 PM

I've done the freezer trick with Birkenstocks with success, and I don't think it's going to work with my all-synthetic bike shoes the same way. But I will totally try the Nature's Miracle (which, for serious pet issues isn't a miracle, but mitigates better than other stuff I've tried and is better than nothing).

I have the same issue with Specialized mtn shoes; I considered shoes with more serious venting, but in the summer I sweat so much that on a long mtb ride if I walk they will make a squishing sound.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:52 PM
Slower than u r

Soak them in a bucket of 1/2 water 1/2 pine sol. Let soak overnight and then give a light rinse with hose.

Also works to get funk odor from jerseys and bibs. But only let them soak for a few hours and then toss in the washing machine and wash like normal.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:06 PM

all of the above and start wearing merino socks!
Old 09-26-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auk View Post
Soak them in a bucket of 1/2 water 1/2 pine sol. Let soak overnight and then give a light rinse with hose.

Also works to get funk odor from jerseys and bibs. But only let them soak for a few hours and then toss in the washing machine and wash like normal.
But then does't it make your shoes smell like Pinesol? I think I'd rather they smell like funk.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:17 PM

Try making a sachet bag of crushed charcoal briquets. Use a piece of cheesecloth, place a pile of crushed briquets on it, then pull up the corners and tie together with a string. Stuff the sachet bag in your shoes overnight.

Another tip: After any ride, stuff a sheet of newspaper in each shoe. It'll absorb any moisture and some of the odor along with it.

A word of caution regarding using detergents on your shoes-these detergents can break down the adhesives that hold your shoes together. Be advised.

Tags
detergent, funk, shoes, smell