Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2014, 02:04 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
I agree about the detergent. Like I noted, I've destroyed 2 other pairs of shoes equaling about $350 by washing them. I've ordered a Peet portable shoe dryer to give it a whirl. Nothing else I've done has worked so I'm hoping between the dryer, freezing and some cedar chips maybe I can save the shoes. For now they live outside with the rest of the stinky things.
Just use one of the enzyme based soaks. No detergents involved and eliminates the odour and the cause of the odour. Cheap, simple and does not require any devices, special wood chips, freezers special incantations or a guy in skinny jeans with a beard. The shoes are very saveable. I have brought back many items from the grave safely this way.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Just use one of the enzyme based soaks. No detergents involved and eliminates the odour and the cause of the odour. Cheap, simple and does not require any devices, special wood chips, freezers special incantations or a guy in skinny jeans with a beard. The shoes are very saveable. I have brought back many items from the grave safely this way.
I feel like I've given them a pretty thorough soaking with Natures Miracle and they still stink but not as bad. The stink started about a year ago after having to run through some nasty mud at a CX race. I'm guessing there was some gnarly bacteria in that mud that I just can't seem to kill. It's not a foot odor smell btw.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:02 AM
Riding Along

Never used Natures miracle and I do not know what is in it. Mirzyme works on the nastiest smells. Sever cases my need a second soak but this stuff works.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Never used Natures miracle and I do not know what is in it. Mirzyme works on the nastiest smells. Sever cases my need a second soak but this stuff works.
I'll try it
Old 09-29-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
Regular laundry detergent breaks down the adhesives in the Shimano shoes. The first pair I ruined I soaked for several hours forgetting them in a bucket while I ran errands. My newish XC60's are starting show signs of the adhesives breaking down after 2 short dunks in the sink with laundry detergent.

My rule after destroying the other shoes is that I don't dunk my shoes unless they're already soaked through. Living in FL that's like every day from the end of April thru the beginning of Nov.

I use Dawn with a rag or soft brush if needed. I always use a hose and air dry in a shaded place with a bit of breeze.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:34 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Well, both Mirazyme and Nature's Miracle have pretty equally glowing reviews on Amazon. One guy says Nature's Miracle changed enzyme formula in 2003 and it got worse. The original formula is available as Petastic. Do what you will with that information.

The following review of Mirazyme seemed like it may be helpful, as it was how he used it on athletic footwear (ski boots) so I'm pasting it below. It does seem that it may be time to consider a new pair of shoes if this doesn't work.

"Most Helpful Customer Reviews

21 of 21 people found the following review helpful
Great odor eliminator!
By Jeffrey A. Lohmann on December 26, 2011
Size Name: 8oz Verified Purchase
I don't leave many reviews, so please be assured I was very impressed with Mirazyme. I spend a lot of time snow skiing and HATE smelly boots. I have very expensive snow and ski boots that had a horrible smell. I take good care of my gear and I use a boot/glove dryer when I'm done for the day. Despite my efforts, my boots smelled like death (think old cast).

For the past several years I have tried everything from intensive cleaning/soaking/scrubbing. Spraying them daily with Lysol, Fabreeze and OderEater type stuff...Nothing worked for long.

I searched online and saw good reviews for MiraZyme. It has worked wonders and will say that my worst boots don't even have a hint of the old odor. It's important to follow the instructions carefully and allow ample time for the product to work.

I use the product in two steps. I mix a diluted formula (about 2oz. into a 5gal bucket of water). For a major cleaning (or first time using Mirazyme). I pull out the laces, liners or foot beds of my boots, shoes, gloves, etc. I then soak them in the bucket solution for 20 minutes. I use a soft scrub brush and scrub all the items to help clean the insides and foot beds. Do not rinse off the solution and let them air dry in room temperature for several days. The product works by enzymatic action and it takes time to break down the organic odor. MiraZyme only has a faint smell that disappears when completely dry. The original boot odor will become less and less over the few days.

I'll use the bucket to clean many pairs of stinky shoes and boots. If the boots are really bad, I've repeated the sequence (complete soak and dry cycle) to ensure I get rid of the odor completely.

I then mix up a large spray bottle with water and 1.5 oz of MiraZyme and occasionally spray my gear to maintain the fresh (no) smell.

To the average person who is looking for a FAST miracle odor remover...This product would only work OK, because it takes time to work. If you spend some effort and follow their instructions, its the best (and only) product I've used to eliminate stubborn odors. "

Tags
detergent, funk, shoes, smell