Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2017, 06:48 PM

Anyone ever deform a bar with wrap around stem?

Was thinking about getting the Ritchey Classic C220 stem to replace the first generation one I have.
Looking at the faceplate, it really doesn't look much different than a regular open face stem - ie the angle looks very close to 180. I'm doubting the 220 degrees really offers anything at all.

Had me wondering - has anyone ever over-torqued and deformed a bar with a "traditional" non-open face stem?

Like how I did here with my open face stem:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...highlight=stem
Old 05-25-2017, 07:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Was thinking about getting the Ritchey Classic C220 stem to replace the first generation one I have.
Looking at the faceplate, it really doesn't look much different than a regular open face stem - ie the angle looks very close to 180. I'm doubting the 220 degrees really offers anything at all.

Had me wondering - has anyone ever over-torqued and deformed a bar with a "traditional" non-open face stem?

Like how I did here with my open face stem:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...highlight=stem
Broke a carbon Modolo hbar, first gen, 7 bend type, with a TTT, non-open faceplate stem..does that count?
Old 05-25-2017, 11:00 AM

The purpose of the 220 degree handlebar clamp is two-fold:

It may reduce the possibility of crimping the handlebar;

But the most important feature is it prevents catastrophic failure of the handlebar clamping function.

In a standard open-face handlebar clamp, if the faceplate or faceplate bolt breaks, the handlebars can completely detach from the stem. I've seen this happen several times*. With the C220 stem, the clamp wraps around the handlebar enough to keep the handlebar attached if the faceplate fails. If the faceplate fails, the handlebar will certainly rotate in the clamp, but at least it will stay attached (possibly preventing the rider from falling off the bike).

*This catastrophic failure is most common with 2 bolt face plates. With a 2 bolt faceplate, if 1 bolt fails, the handlebar will completely detach. This safety concern is why 2 bolt faceplates have almost entirely disappeared.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:12 AM

Never deformed a handlebar, even carbon ones but i do use a lot of carbon assembly paste in even with aluminum handlebars so i dont have to overtorque the stuff.

BTW the recommended torque in many components is way too much, that's the reason you see stuff deformed, besides even with a torque wrench some guys looks like have gorilla arms, they will overtorque all the time, add that paranoia of under torque the things and there you have it... the problem you describe.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:59 AM

I had the same crimp issue with the first Deda Newton 26.0 bar and stem I had. Deda responded to e-mail and said I must have done something wrong. Never happened again over a bunch of years and bar & stem combos.