Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2017, 04:10 PM

I'm vegetarian for around 15 years. The only time I would eat meat was when my neighbor (RIP) would take me and a few other neighbors to a Patriots game once a year--he was so generous, I didn't have the heart to tell him I was a vegetarian. He insisted on driving, providing all the food, booze, tickets, and paying for parking (he was also our state senator). One time he brought grinders for everyone and we'd had a bunch of beers and me and my other neighbor (a vegan) were both trying to pull the head cheese out of the grinders and dispose of it while no one was looking.

I actually don't like soy at all, unless it's cooked very well--the texture bothers me. I much prefer tempeh and especially seitan, both good protein sources. Someone mentioned Qorn. I also like the brand Field Roast for seitan, Gardein, and Yves. For anyone going plant based I would say they aren't all equal and some are downright disgusting. So if fake meat seems gross, try a few different brands till you find one you like.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:20 PM

When the overwhelming urge for a snack hits, I dive into a jar of peanut-free Sunbutter...It's ground sunflower seeds with the consistancy of peanut butter
Old 11-15-2017, 06:16 PM
Forward the Foundation

From the movie Sleeper, about the far future..........

Dr. Melik: This morning for breakfast he requested something called "wheat germ, organic honey and tiger's milk."

Dr. Aragon: [chuckling] Oh, yes. Those are the charmed substances that some years ago were thought to contain life-preserving properties.

Dr. Melik: You mean there was no deep fat? No steak or cream pies or... hot fudge?

Dr. Aragon: Those were thought to be unhealthy... precisely the opposite of what we now know to be true.

Dr. Melik: Incredible.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:13 PM

It's easy to eat veg.
It's easy to cook delicious food.

Here's a shortcut: buy this book, find a recipe you want to start with, get the ingredients, and BLOW YOUR SPOUSE'S MIND with what you just created. Your new-found culinary skills will make you more attractive to your partner.
https://www.amazon.com/Plenty-Vibran.../dp/1452101248

This stuff is not hard. Cook!

Once you get that down, you'll be much healthier, you'll look better naked, and you won't be torturing animals to serve your gluttony. It's all upside.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:25 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post
It's easy to eat veg.
It's easy to cook delicious food.
+ a whole bunch
Old 11-16-2017, 12:34 AM

Haven't seen this movie, but I caught a segment on PBS News Hour about the guy that runs Impossible Burger. He made a comment that I think puts things in exactly the right context: "As a food-production technology, the cow is ridiculously archaic and primitive"...
Old 11-16-2017, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daker13 View Post
I'm vegetarian for around 15 years. The only time I would eat meat was when my neighbor (RIP) would take me and a few other neighbors to a Patriots game once a year--he was so generous, I didn't have the heart to tell him I was a vegetarian. He insisted on driving, providing all the food, booze, tickets, and paying for parking (he was also our state senator). One time he brought grinders for everyone and we'd had a bunch of beers and me and my other neighbor (a vegan) were both trying to pull the head cheese out of the grinders and dispose of it while no one was looking.
I have heard that even the Dalai Lama has eaten meat in such circumstances-out of consideration to a host.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:38 AM

Great stuff. I made a BA pasta dish for my wife last night using chickpea penne. She was extremely impressed and she’s a really good cook! I didn’t/won’t miss any animal fat taste but she LOVES cheese so it’s gonna be slightly more challenging for her. Day 1 in the books
Old 11-16-2017, 09:54 AM

Go for it.
I continue to get some PRs on regular segments without trying. My wife can make some killer vegan stews and soups from scratch. I make killer beans, groats (rice replacement), salsa picante and homemade corn tortillas. If I am shopping and cooking, I just go to the veggie area and get a bunch of different colors and then steam, blanche, saute, roast, bake with whatever spices smell good. Don't try to hard to go vegan. Ease into it slowly and eventually, you won't want anything but plants in your meals. If we go out or I am being polite and I have a non-vegan dish, I can feel it in my gut (not a good feeling) and the grease in my mouth lasts for 24 hours. Weird right? Emeril makes a great chili http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/...lagasse-437161

Last edited by classtimesailer; 11-16-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:30 PM

Ok not to get too graphic but did anyone else have excessive gas buildup/stomach cramping the first week of switching over? Uggh.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:20 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwabra View Post
Ok not to get too graphic but did anyone else have excessive gas buildup/stomach cramping the first week of switching over? Uggh.
I never ate much meat anyway, so for me it was a completely uneventful change. However, it makes sense that if someone has a sudden and signficant increase in their fiber intake the body might react in that manner.

If that does occur I'd try some probiotics. Maybe yoghurt and something like this:

https://www.costco.com/Nature's-Bounty-Ultra-Strength-Probiotic-10%2c-140-Capsules.product.100225688.html
Old 11-17-2017, 08:20 PM

Meat

I never ate much meat either- But I did eat a bit almost daily.
It was easy for me to stop- no negatives at all.

In addition to all of the vegetables I find it is very helpful to keep a pot of ready made brown or black rice and also a container of already cooked black beans in the refrigerator- all ready to go
We make rice in a rice cooker, and my wife makes black beans in a slow cooker.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:44 PM

I've been doing the vegan for the past couple of months and have no problems switching to an entirely plant based whole food diet. I love to cook so coming up with a new "menu" has been really challenging and fun.

I've lost 16 pounds in 7 weeks. My blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressure have improved significantly.

I average about 80 grams of protein a day. More importantly, I take a Vitamin B12 supplement (5,000 mcg) every day.

And I feel great on the bike!
Old 06-19-2018, 05:59 PM

Fantastic Edward!
I've got a pot of Emerile's vegetarian (really vegan) chili on the stove right now. You can find it on the web.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:49 PM

My cholesterol got up to 320, so I have been a vegan + fish going on two months now.
Overall, I have loved it.
I eat a large bowl of steel cut oatmeal with blueberries, strawberries, pear, peach, mango, etc... for breakfast. I just buy a huge variety of vegetables at my local organic co-op and get creative with it. I snack on a pre-made mix of multiple nuts and dried fruits, and I eat avocado every other day or so. I also roast a lot of vegetables in olive oil to eat and keep for a day or two as leftovers.
I do eat wild fish every few days. This doesn’t make me vegan, but it works for me.
I feel much lighter and just better. My arms hang more freely and I can go for a jog or bike ride at any time of the day, even right after meals. I eat plenty and never feel undernourished. It has been a great change for the better in my life, and I couldn’t recommend it more.