Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2007, 12:31 PM

Can you order a CDA without the fork?

I'm jonesing for a new CDA but would prefer a steel fork. Based on the specs on the website I'm stuck with either the F3 or basic level carbon fork.

Have others just bought the frame and purchased their own fork? Would I be potentially harming handling with an off the shelf rake?
Old 12-28-2007, 12:43 PM

If you go with a steel fork you should really go with a reputable builder to build it based on the frame geometry. Don't go with just any steel fork.

Several of the builders who frequent this forum can do that.

In any case, I would guess Serotta would sell a CDA without a fork.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Serotta Biased and HSG Luster

The CDA handling and customization is designed around those forks. What I would suggest you do is get sized/fitted, spec out the type ride you want, and then what fork you are going to pair it with.

Give all this info to SEROTTA when you order. Steel or Carbon - if it is well made and is designed to complement the frame spec will work. The Serotta forks are designed and mft by them. They have a great warranty.

THe choice is yours as to which fork....There are plenty of folks that build well made forks.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:43 PM

thanks for the guidance
Old 12-28-2007, 01:51 PM

steel forks is cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by three sixty
I'm jonesing for a new CDA but would prefer a steel fork. Based on the specs on the website I'm stuck with either the F3 or basic level carbon fork.

Have others just bought the frame and purchased their own fork? Would I be potentially harming handling with an off the shelf rake?
a cda with a nice indy fab or iglehart fork would be super keen.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:13 PM

I wanted an all steel CDA and after reviewing the site it appears I would have to go with the SE option which puts me out of my budget. That leaves me with my short list of Dave Kirk, Carl Strong and Zanconato. I've tried IF but had a bad experience.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:20 PM

strong, si

Quote:
I wanted an all steel CDA and after reviewing the site it appears I would have to go with the SE option which puts me out of my budget. That leaves me with my short list of Dave Kirk, Carl Strong and Zanconato. I've tried IF but had a bad experience.
how can a kirk or a zanc be less than a cda? are they? yikes.

iglehart? might be a nice, not-so-obvious choice for a welded steel road frame. he's got mucho experience: fat chance, brew.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:43 PM

I'm going off prices listed on their sites. All steel CDA is pushing $3K
Zank $2000
Kirk $2400
Strong @ $1600
Old 12-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Dr. Doofus

Quote:
I'm going off prices listed on their sites. All steel CDA is pushing $3K
Zank $2000
Kirk $2400
Strong @ $1600
3k for a TIG steel bike is pretty excessive unless its something very very special

kirk...goodrich...della santa...kellog (spectrum)...sadoff (rock lobster)...zanconato...for that coin you could just go ahead and get something sweet and lugged...more style points than paying 3 grand for TIG welds

Last edited by Dr. Doofus; 12-28-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:46 PM

bro i a dumb bike mess but i don't get it a cda is a new bike fat tubed not lugged and a tig right get the fork they sell
if you want a steel fork go somewhere else imho
Old 12-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Dr. Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed
bro i a dumb bike mess but i don't get it a cda is a new bike fat tubed not lugged and a tig right get the fork they sell
if you want a steel fork go somewhere else imho
yeah...if you want tig and steel fork just get the hampsten giroissimo

what i don't get is 3k for a TIG steel bike

i am now going to say some stupid****:

3,000.00 for a TIG steel frame/fork. if i was dropping that much coin -- when there are plenty of cats out there like carl strong or joe depaemelaere or paul sadoff or the co-motion cats who can build you a modern steel race bike for half that. for 3,000 you could have dario weld you a frame. what i'm sayin is that for 3,000 there better be some dang pixie dust...not just the serotta heritage, but that kelly bedford measures you off himself, not some "fit technician" and then goes down to torch your rig.

apologies to ben and co for abusing any of their hospitality. its their dime. i'm just having a hard time swallowing that price for that frame.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:25 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofus
yeah...if you want tig and steel fork just get the hampsten giroissimo

what i don't get is 3k for a TIG steel bike

i am now going to say some stupid****:

3,000.00 for a TIG steel frame/fork. if i was dropping that much coin -- when there are plenty of cats out there like carl strong or joe depaemelaere or paul sadoff or the co-motion cats who can build you a modern steel race bike for half that. for 3,000 you could have dario weld you a frame. what i'm sayin is that for 3,000 there better be some dang pixie dust...not just the serotta heritage, but that kelly bedford measures you off himself, not some "fit technician" and then goes down to torch your rig.

apologies to ben and co for abusing any of their hospitality. its their dime. i'm just having a hard time swallowing that price for that frame.
the good doc has a point.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:28 PM

Three sixty...

...I'm interested in the bad experience you had with IF. I thought they were a stand-up company.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P.
...I'm interested in the bad experience you had with IF. I thought they were a stand-up company.
Defective seatube; post keep slipping regardless of clamps or different seatposts. Lloyd said it was not reamed properly.

Had to tear down the bike and ship 2x before they figured it out. Plus I was put back into their normal backlog and told to wait till fixed. I'm sure I was an anamoly but decided to move on.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofus
3k for a TIG steel bike is pretty excessive unless its something very very special

kirk...goodrich...della santa...kellog (spectrum)...sadoff (rock lobster)...zanconato...for that coin you could just go ahead and get something sweet and lugged...more style points than paying 3 grand for TIG welds
well, the CDA does use Columbus Spirit (niobium) tubes. $2895 with the F3 fork, $2490 with the S fork. the stock Fierte frame and fork (and plastic seat stay, unfortunately), is $1850.

they are charging a lot, but perhaps the price isn't out of line. Serotta should also be considered a highly skilled custom builder.