Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2019, 06:12 PM

I have had cats and dogs and cats and dogs at the same time and I loved them all but--- our small dogs are like having cats that come when we call them. :-)

My last 2 dogs before I met Leslie were a pointer and a Lab. The Lab was a much better pet because the pointer wouldn't stay home when we were away. A six foot fence was no challenge for her at all. My Lab was always happy to stay home with or without company.

When I met Les she had 2 bichon frises she got as puppies from a breeder. They were nice and cute and they lived to be 16 and 17 years old. No shedding and hypo-allergenic.

Then we got Eric from the pound at 4-5 years of age. He's a malti-poo and has been a wonderful family member right from the start with ZERO "accidents" in the house. He's ten years old will play fetch until my arm gets tired.

Annie was picked up wild, matted, flea-infested out in coyote country and no body knows how she wasn't eaten. She might be a shi-tzu with a too-long nose a havanese, or some mix with a maltese. She is more independent than Eric but evem MORE loving to everyone she meets. Unlike Eric, Annie does shed a little. She required a couple of months to learn that going into the music room was not the same as going outside. OTOH we don't know that she had ever been inside a home before she was rescued from the pound so that was really pretty good learning for an 11 month old puppy. Both dogs weigh 13-14 pounds

You might want to check with local rescue groups that specialize in the type/size dog you think you want. They usually get to know the dogs they rescue and can help you get a dog that will fit in with your family. When you go to the pound and have no previous experience with dogs you might make a sub-optimum choice.

It takes a pretty big kid to control a 50 pound dog which might have a mind of its own so some thing 20 pounds or less may be a good idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47n8rwqcy2fso2axob1znwj89xtwux8g-res960.jpg (35.8 KB, 172 views)
Old 12-07-2019, 06:14 PM

I am not a cat guy. I am totally fine picking up dog crap if a litter box is the alternative.

My suggestion is pound puppy. If you find one that answers to its name, better yet, answer to a sit or other simple command, the transition will be easiest. My wife and I have had two rescue dogs over 22 years. The first one, Otis, was a nervous wreck (wife insisted on him) but, after a lot of work, he settled in and was a member of our family for 12 years. Bella has been with us since and I couldn’t imagine a more loyal dog than her.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:25 PM

When we just had Eric the malti-poo Leslie suggests we think about getting a cat as well. When I pointed out that there was no good place in our condo for a litter box that idea was over. So we got adopted by Annie. If you are going to walk one dog it's not much more work to have another along too.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:58 PM

Kind of a Shimano/Campy debate. Don’t know how to put SRAM into this metaphor—maybe fish?

Had/have both. Cats are cool but I think dogs are more fun. Easier to ignore a cat than a dog if you’re overwhelmed by kids and job.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftCleats View Post
Kind of a Shimano/Campy debate. Don’t know how to put SRAM into this metaphor—maybe fish?

Had/have both. Cats are cool but I think dogs are more fun. Easier to ignore a cat than a dog if you’re overwhelmed by kids and job.
Ouch. Well, my fish talk to me.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:37 PM

I like shepperds. Any kind of shepperd. I have had dogs around all my life and feel that shepperds take it to another level: fun and loving but also have this deep sense of responsability over people and home. They are deep, intense. If you can find a mix bread shepperd in a shelter try to empathize and maybe take her him home. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftCleats View Post

Yeah, our lives are pretty full right now, so less stress would be good. I know we are taking on more with any pet and I accept that though.

My wife’s bestie just got a puppy and while she said it’s lots of work and makes their lives crazier, she’s super happy with the choice and she wasn’t previously a pet person. She told us to leap in!

SRAM - funny thing is that I am looking for a cheap SRAM group for the first time in many many years!!
Old 12-07-2019, 07:49 PM
Everything is connected

Fish...seriously.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
Fish...seriously.
I meant "my fish" as being Sram... fish are decorations/distractions, not pets.
While I used to have fish and enjoyed having them. I really like Sram and use it all the time.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:59 PM

You never mentioned how large your yard/property is which I think is the #1 factor for "what kind of dog is best for me". Also enclosed fence?

Also before answering we need to know if youre planning on getting an adult dog or a puppy.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:02 PM

Bassett hound. Absolutely the best dog with kids. Loyal, protective, friendly and very gentle. I've had three over the years. Wonderful animals.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:03 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
I meant "my fish" as being Sram... fish are decorations/distractions, not pets.
While I used to have fish and enjoyed having them. I really like Sram and use it all the time.
No...I meant fish...seriously. My Tetras Fred and Felicity are 8 years old and require a daily feeding and a monthly tank cleaning. They are very attentive and loyal to boot.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:12 PM

Whatever you decide, absolutely adopt one from a shelter. I personally prefer cats. We have 7. Yup, 7. Love them all to death. All different looking but with great personalities. Want to go out of town? No problem. They are pretty self sufficient as you know. I like dogs too, just feel cats fit our lifestyle better right now.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:18 PM

Dog. The care the dog requires is its own reward whereas a cat’s requirements don’t bring nearly the same amount of joy.

Heelers are amazing dogs. Mine will be 16 in Feb. They are an untapped alternative energy source when they’re younger, but with plenty of work they’ll serve you well. Any working dog for that matter makes for a great companion. I’ve always liked Italian greyhounds and fox terriers. Though I have never interacted with them as young dogs. Recently I ran into a German wire haired pointer and couldn’t believe how well mannered and intelligent the dog was, but working dogs put to work are incredible animals.

Make sure to involve everyone in the journey!
Old 12-07-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Whatever you decide, absolutely adopt one from a shelter. I personally prefer cats. We have 7. Yup, 7. Love them all to death. All different looking but with great personalities. Want to go out of town? No problem. They are pretty self sufficient as you know. I like dogs too, just feel cats fit our lifestyle better right now.
I feel better now. We have 5, all dumped and adopted. Wife is a DVM, but I'm the sucker.
Haven't had dogs in ~ 10 years. I miss them but honestly, it's kinda nice not having the responsibility. One was just the greatest...

Tags
cats, dogs