Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
Should I be outraged that Porsche does not make a 500 HP Carerra that I can afford? Is Patek Phillipe equally at fault for not producing a manually wound chronograph for under $50k? I don't understand the outrage for successful companies making products for people who can afford them. I don't share the belief that companies are responsible for making products for every price point to include every consumer. I can't afford many things that other people can. I don't blame them, boutique product manufacterers or anyone else. Ok. I, waiting for the thunder.
Stop making sense!
Old 12-07-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
As a personal trainer, the idea of an already thin woman striving to become even thinner is really problematic.
This is an oft repeated comment about the ad, yet nowhere in the ad does it mention that. As a personal trainer, I'm sure you're aware that people do exercise without wanting to lose weight.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:41 AM
Not a robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
It is more than ironic that the cost of a Peloton bike ($2,400ish) is the same as the average smoker spends on cigarettes every year. (Peloton subscription is $460 annually.)

There are socioeconomic issues in the world, but I can't reconcile the logic of how $2,400 for a spin bike by an affluent family has come to represent the height of "classist consumption" and yet burning up $2,400 of tobacco (which is mostly a lower socioeconomic phenomenon) doesn't equate to a luxury expenditure. Millions of people smoke … 50 million in the USA. For their health it would be much better if $2,400 was actually an unobtainable expense.

Wading through the moral outrage of tone deafness, classism, and all the rest, what I would find tone deaf and objectionable is if Peloton actively targeted people who don't have disposable incomes capable of supporting $2,400 without compromising important basic needs. Based on the ire generated over Peloton’s advertising content, unethical targeting is certainly not an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
Should I be outraged that Porsche does not make a 500 HP Carerra that I can afford? Is Patek Phillipe equally at fault for not producing a manually wound chronograph for under $50k? I don't understand the outrage for successful companies making products for people who can afford them. I don't share the belief that companies are responsible for making products for every price point to include every consumer. I can't afford many things that other people can. I don't blame them, boutique product manufacterers or anyone else. Ok. I, waiting for the thunder.

Agree - a lot of sense in these two posts.

The good news is that I've been working so much that I haven't actually seen the ad - had to do a quick interweb search to find it (the bad news is that I've been working so much that I hadn't inadvertently seen the ad live at least once already).

Like many others here, I just don't get the outrage. While I can acknowledge that some others were offended, I struggle to make the connections to the actual content I saw in the ad. To me, it seemed a huge amount of assumption & conjecture to be necessary to make the leap to "outrage".

We have a Peloton bike. We really like it. We got one because my wife wanted one, and initiated the idea. Prior to purchase I came to terms with the fact that it wasn't really cycling, or training for cycling. They're not selling that, they're selling a spin-bike. Actually that's not even correct, they're selling at-home spin classes. So be it. Yes, they seem expensive, but we didn't buy it as a status or luxury item, we bought it to save money in the long run over in-person spin classes, for the time saved, and for the increased convenience that would hopefully help lead to doing more workouts than we otherwise would. And after having it right at one year, I look back on the workout stats & can say it's done those very things. Based on the number of classes between the two of us combined, the cost-per-class is around half what it would have been done at the local "studio", at what I would roughly estimate double the convenience. I have no doubt that even if the cost was a wash, I would have skipped more opportunities if I was required to spend the time to drive to the studio for the class at a scheduled time, rather than just suck it up & hop on at home when it best fit my schedule. So yeah, I don't get the cost-slant on the angst - that should be pointed more at the over-priced studio's than this. We met our goal of *saving* money on spin classes with this.

IMO, the ad is cheeseball and poorly executed. But some of the nuances of it that seem to be driving the outrage, I just don't get.

That anxious look on the wife's face? I remember my wife having that same look the first couple of times she tried it. And remember, she's the one that initiated the idea & had to convince me to get on board. These pedals are different than on her road bike - tight, and difficult to get out of. She wasn't sure what to expect from the machine itself - it doesn't freewheel, will it buck her off? Will the whole contraption just go flying out the window if she does something wrong? All understandable first-time anxiety, but none of it driven by me brow-beating her to exercise more, or be fitter/thinner/whatever, or any of the other things that the outrage group seems to be suggesting is happening to the wife in the ad. She *might* have had some potential buyers-remorse anxiety too, since it is a non-trivial many-month, commitment, but I had already become a fan & quite happy with our purchase.

And the super-cheesily-executed part where they say her name? Yeah, in the "live" peloton classes they do that, quite similar to an actual in-studio class. And that works for some people. I remember my late great friend who was a super-fit cyclist & long-distance runner, who had done dozens of marathons all around the world - sometimes he would wear a shirt with just "Jeff" across the chest. He said because when he was in that last quarter of the run and at-risk for mentally hitting the wall, just hearing some stranger in the crowd yell his name would help push him forward. For some, a 30-minute class might be their marathon right now, and having that personal touch may help boost them forward. So yeah, I'm not going to criticize them for trying to include that in the ad, even though their attempt to do so seems poorly-executed.

There is more about the ad, but I've rambled on too much already. Again, I seek to understand those that are outraged from the ad itself, but I'm just not getting it. I personally find it a bit irresponsible for others to so readily jump to some of these "why" conclusions - they seem to be filling in very large gaps with whatever their own biases or anxieties may be - not what is actually being presented in the ad.

But I have to thank those that have contributed to this thread. It's mostly been a good, thought-provking conversation. And with some well-needed humor too. Ryan Reynolds should provide the forum a kickback, because that click-through has pushed me over the edge to try a bottle of that Aviation gin.

Last edited by woolly; 12-07-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:53 AM

I'm offended Geico uses a cartoon gecko. But wait, a real one would animal cruelty. I'm offended I'm not part of the "Chevy family." I'm offended Progressive mimics children of the corn. I'm offended my cologne doesn't magically wisk me away to on exotic locale to swim with Jennifer Lawrence. Pisses me off Arby's has the meats. I'm vegan. As Taylor says, you need to calm down. Maybe she actually asked for the fu&×ing thing. And enjoys using it. And wants to be in better shape. And maybe she does want to lose those last few pounds. I know I'd like to lose a few extra mid season.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
BUT..geeez, 75 posts here, the ad was even on NBC news...and altho PelOton is responding, like the anti Rapha 'hate mail', they are getting great exposure and I'll bet their sales sure haven't gone DOWN because of this 'episode'..

BUT, it's an 'ADVERTISEMENT'...gotta look pretty deep for ME to find this or any other ADVERTISEMENT, really, truly 'offensive'...

The ones that make men look like idiots(most are, let's be honest), 'could' twist me knickers but..they are ADVERTISEMENTS, not comments on middle east peace or breakthroughs in heart disease treatment..They are talking about an exercise bike fer farge's sake..

For UBER, right above..agree 100%..

$50K? Chump change..

How about $300,000(read that right..)??
When I stated the ad was clearly offensive, it was BECAUSE the writing/acting/camera work was bad, not the content. Should have been more clear in my sarcasm.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:07 AM

They should come out with a new ad where the wife gives her fat slob of a loser husband a peloton to make all those offended feel better about the other ad. See if there is any uproar over that one.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Some good discussion, but i think we've reached the end of the line on this one.

cheers.
Closed Thread