Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 06:22 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
Please, I sincerely hope that no one takes offense at my comments. No offense intended.

To use a descriptive phrase, I am very surprised by the number of "Aunt Nancy" responses to this this achievement.

Yes, it's somewhat stupid and dangerous, but it's the type of occasional off the grid accomplishment that inspires and keeps the "what if" juices flowing.

If that team offered me the opportunity to be the spotter, I'd have to think about it long and hard. I've done dumber things.

For example, while working the night side of a Missouri newspaper when I was 21 and my cerebral cortex was not completely developed, I would drive my co worker's Jaguars at 150 mph on back highways in the middle of the night. Never again, at least that fast.

Cheers
Wha??? About tubulars??

Interesting discussion, speaks volumes about this here United States these days....personal rights, privileges, and responsibilities..with what's a benefit to society thrown in..

Got the popcorn!! Even at 5:22 AM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6eb0b7a4521272ee6396546199261af5.jpg (52.1 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-06-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:36 AM
Vendor

So many things can be said about this. I have to fight myself to not say them. But none of them matter other than:

In 2018, speeding killed 9,378 people in the US. Nothing else... not distracted driving, not poor skills, not drinking, not dope..... nothing. but. speeding.

9,378. I wonder how many were cyclists? I wonder when I'm going to get killed by someone who thinks driving fast is inspiring? Or my wife while riding? Or your wife? Or your son?

This act is inspiring? Darn right it is inspiring, to certain people, and that there is the problem.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/speeding

Last edited by rain dogs; 12-06-2019 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
/\ you missing out. Its a pretty great article.

And although I see peoples point about putting people in danger, I see people putting others in danger every week and they are going the speed limit so this does not bother me a lot, these guys are good drivers and that AMG can go safely at that speed... it was built for that. I don't think people should do this but I am not mad at it.
True, but someone hitting me at 35 mph while texting is far different than being rear ended by a car doing 145.

I have mixed feelings. The car geek in me is fascinated, while the old guy in me is shaking his head
Old 12-06-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
In 2018, speeding killed 9,378 people in the US. Nothing else... not distracted driving, not poor skills, not drinking, not dope..... nothing. but. speeding.
One has to look at raw data......say if speeding was listed as primary but the driver was doped, distracted....you get the idea. And come on, not poor skills.....

If one thinks the US has a big car culture, it is peanuts compared to Europe. The Greens have been trying to kill the no speed limit sections of Autobahn for decades.

Pretty interesting driving 130mph on a autobahn and then have some tiny old bloke peeking over a steering wheel blast by you in a 911. Then come back to the US or Canada and drive.......its pathetically slow, the vast majority of driving distracted.....I would much rather have focused speeders.

Plus cycling is safer in speed crazed Germany, France......
Old 12-06-2019, 07:02 AM
Riding Along

A few folks here are forgetting that freedom and rights are predicated on one simple fact: My rights end exactly where your rights begin. These guys, and everyone who acts recklessly in a manner that puts others at risk have threatened the very freedom they are expressing by violating the rights of others to not be harmed through the actions of others. How free is anyone who has to live in fear from those who are being "free"?
Old 12-06-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
A few folks here are forgetting that freedom and rights are predicated on one simple fact: My rights end exactly where your rights begin. These guys, and everyone who acts recklessly in a manner that puts others at risk have threatened the very freedom they are expressing by violating the rights of others to not be harmed through the actions of others. How free is anyone who has to live in fear from those who are being "free"?
Oh Canada, where people are civil.

In Texas, where people shoot each other over their “right” to a parking space, not so much!
Old 12-06-2019, 07:39 AM

You can tell that winter is here

Put on a fresh undergarment, take a deep breath and relax. Thank Zeus that you have capacity and ability to reason
Old 12-06-2019, 07:40 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
So many things can be said about this. I have to fight myself to not say them. But none of them matter other than:

9,378. I wonder how many were cyclists? I wonder when I'm going to get killed by someone who thinks driving fast is inspiring? Or my wife while riding? Or your wife? Or your son?

This act is inspiring? Darn right it is inspiring, to certain people, and that there is the problem.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/speeding
Agree. However, people think, really think that it will never happen to them when they speed, and even extend that thinking to the guys in the article because of the car, the tech etc.... I could not find the part of the article that explained how they were able to control the laws of physics to prevent a catastrophic outcome.

I will echo what has been said before. To those who applaud this event; how would you feel if you or someone close to you were hurt or killed by the actions of these guys?
Old 12-06-2019, 08:11 AM

I don’t know which is more dangerous, driving across the country at an average speed of 103mph or riding a bicycle out on the roads where only cars belong while wearing tight lycra stretch pants with your ass stuck up in the air.

It all seems so dangerous.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:17 AM

9378 people killed by speeding in '18, out of 327,200,000 people..?
That's a 0.000028% likelyhood. Wow, we should all go cower in our saferooms and start wearing helmets as we walk.

A bunch of nannies talking about this crew like they all died and/or left a trail of bodies behind them. They did an amazing feat of human accomplishment and should be celebrated. I think they set the record in a car because their balls were way too huge to even fit on a saddle to take on the RAAM record.

God bless them and those of us who are here to witness them.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skenry View Post
9378 people killed by speeding in '18, out of 327,200,000 people..?
That's a 0.000028% likelyhood. Wow, we should all go cower in our saferooms and start wearing helmets as we walk.

A bunch of nannies talking about this crew like they all died and/or left a trail of bodies behind them. They did an amazing feat of human accomplishment and should be celebrated. I think they set the record in a car because their balls were way too huge to even fit on a saddle to take on the RAAM record.

God bless them and those of us who are here to witness them.
exactly the kind of crap that gets threads closed.

calling people nannies and opining about "huge balls". that's simply not the level of discourse we're going to tolerate here.
Closed Thread