Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2019, 12:56 PM

Show me your stationary bike playlists...

The Dog Days of Winter are here. Perfect time to get some miles in on the trainer. I actually really enjoy it. My outdoor riding is either going slowly up big hills or coming down them. The trainer helps with pacing and cadence and gives me a much better workout in a short time. The crucial caveat: you gotta have the right tunes.

Here's my Funky Cheese Sandwich Mix. The goopy stuff is right in the middle, as it should be. Pretty stinky stuff. For the purists here: wear a hazmat suit

Interested in cribbing from others. Rock. Punk. Hip-Hop. Classic. Country. Doesn't matter as long as it gets my heart rate up. About fifteen songs or so (an hour) should do it.

1) Saint Germaine Rose Rouge (abridged)
2) Tribe Called Quest Can I Kick It
3) Ozomatli Cut Chemist Suite
4) Funky Destination Havana
5) Digable Planets Nickel Bag of Funk (always had a crush on Ladybug)
6) M.I.A. Paper Planes
7) ABBA Take a Chance on Me
8) Bee Gees Stayin Alive
9) Vanilla Ice Ice Ice Baby (haters gonna hate!)
10) Michael Jackson Don't Stop Till You Get Enough (pre-Thiller Michael!)
11) Rachid Taha Ya Rayah (the "Oud" has got to be the sexiest instrument)
12) James Brown Sex Machine (Get on Up)
13) Parliament Give up the Funk
14) Public Enemy Fight the Power
15) Scissor Sisters I Don't Feel Like Dancin' (Best in Show)

Last edited by XXtwindad; 11-29-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:19 PM

Kexp Music that Matters podcast. Any of John Richards Running podcasts. Usually have a Portland/Seattle bent to them but completely listenable.

Also I am only slightly ashamed to admit that I have broken out some old Global Underground mixed CDs. Namely Digweed, Sasha and Danny Tenaglia are some of the ones in rotation lately. Don’t judge.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:30 PM
50 bpm

I created this playlist for the shop when we did indoor workouts. It's an hour long, it starts slow, and the beat mostly increases steadily until you’re flat-out sprinting in the last few minutes before an easy cool-down. It’s also, shall we say, themed.
  • Start Me Up, The Rolling Stones (3:35): As the title suggests, this is the warm-up. A fairly mid-level beat that is best done in an easy gear.
  • Spinning Wheels, Blood Sweat & Tears (4:07): Gear up as you work into this slow cadence. When David Clayton Thomas says, “ride a painted pony” stand for a 10 count in a big gear. Work the glutes.
  • Will It Go Round In Circles, Billy Preston (3:46): When Billy sings the chorus, double your cadence. You’ll be spinning fast!
  • Wheel In The Sky, Journey (4:13): Steady as she goes. Stand again, when Steve Perry sings the chorus.
  • Let It Ride, Bachman-Turner Overdrive (4:30): Push as big a gear as is comfortable here.
  • Ride, The Vines (2:42): Slight increase in cadence. Concentrate on making circles with both legs.
  • Slow Ride, Foghat (3:58): Have fun with this one. Bounce on the pedals. You cannot listen to this song on a bike and not smile.
  • Ride Captain Ride, Blues Image (3:45): Maintain your cadence.
  • Hitching A Ride, Vanity Fare (3:08): See above. This is totally and admittedly bubble-gum pop but it’s a great song for concentrating on your pedaling motion.
  • Ticket To Ride, The Beatles (3:14): Stand during the chorus here, too.
  • Free Ride, Edgar Winter Group (3:08): A bump in cadence. Easy gear spin. Get ready for what’s to come.
  • Low Rider, War (3:13):This song should be included in any cycling playlist because, well, because. It’s got a great beat for big gears. Mash!
  • Ride Like The Wind, Christopher Cross (4:29): Cadence, cadence, cadence. This is a transition zone because the next two are leg-rippers.
  • Ride My See-Saw, The Moody Blues (3:47): And you’re really starting to spin here. This is hard, but not the one that’s going to gas you. That’s next, thank you very much.
  • See See Rider, Elvis Presley (2:36): Try your best to keep up with the King. You might not make it the full length of the song but go for as long as you can. And no cheating by pedaling only on the back beat. Go for it.
  • The End, The Beatles (2:22): The Fab Four get a second crack here, and this one is simply about warming down until you’re done. Just relax and imagine yourself taking a leisurely stroll across Abbey Road.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
I created this playlist for the shop when we did indoor workouts. It's an hour long, it starts slow, and the beat mostly increases steadily until you’re flat-out sprinting in the last few minutes before an easy cool-down. It’s also, shall we say, themed.
  • Start Me Up, The Rolling Stones (3:35): As the title suggests, this is the warm-up. A fairly mid-level beat that is best done in an easy gear.
  • Spinning Wheels, Blood Sweat & Tears (4:07): Gear up as you work into this slow cadence. When David Clayton Thomas says, “ride a painted pony” stand for a 10 count in a big gear. Work the glutes.
  • Will It Go Round In Circles, Billy Preston (3:46): When Billy sings the chorus, double your cadence. You’ll be spinning fast!
  • Wheel In The Sky, Journey (4:13): Steady as she goes. Stand again, when Steve Perry sings the chorus.
  • Let It Ride, Bachman-Turner Overdrive (4:30): Push as big a gear as is comfortable here.
  • Ride, The Vines (2:42): Slight increase in cadence. Concentrate on making circles with both legs.
  • Slow Ride, Foghat (3:58): Have fun with this one. Bounce on the pedals. You cannot listen to this song on a bike and not smile.
  • Ride Captain Ride, Blues Image (3:45): Maintain your cadence.
  • Hitching A Ride, Vanity Fare (3:08): See above. This is totally and admittedly bubble-gum pop but it’s a great song for concentrating on your pedaling motion.
  • Ticket To Ride, The Beatles (3:14): Stand during the chorus here, too.
  • Free Ride, Edgar Winter Group (3:08): A bump in cadence. Easy gear spin. Get ready for what’s to come.
  • Low Rider, War (3:13):This song should be included in any cycling playlist because, well, because. It’s got a great beat for big gears. Mash!
  • Ride Like The Wind, Christopher Cross (4:29): Cadence, cadence, cadence. This is a transition zone because the next two are leg-rippers.
  • Ride My See-Saw, The Moody Blues (3:47): And you’re really starting to spin here. This is hard, but not the one that’s going to gas you. That’s next, thank you very much.
  • See See Rider, Elvis Presley (2:36): Try your best to keep up with the King. You might not make it the full length of the song but go for as long as you can. And no cheating by pedaling only on the back beat. Go for it.
  • The End, The Beatles (2:22): The Fab Four get a second crack here, and this one is simply about warming down until you’re done. Just relax and imagine yourself taking a leisurely stroll across Abbey Road.
Haha. Well done! Very clever! But you forgot the best one of all.. "Ride On" by ACDC. That one would make my "Classic Rock" playlist for sure …
Old 11-29-2019, 01:42 PM

Heroin (on repeat) for short max interval workout.

Whatever is on my audible list.

Last edited by joosttx; 11-29-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:53 PM

I have a bluetooth speaker under the TV so I use my phone and Spotify to play what whatever list I feel the workout calls for. Sometimes in the evening when it's dark outside, I'll just use low light in the room and listen to something a little more mellow like Uncle Tupelo and their offspring.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:25 PM

Pandora. "Gimme Sympathy" by Metric station. Done
Old 11-29-2019, 06:48 PM

Playlist: NPR news.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:18 PM

I've got two linked 300 disc players... and then some.

Favs for the basement trainer are:

Pixies - all albums
White Denim - all albums
Urge Overkill's album Saturation
Deee-Lite's first album World Clique

That said, I hate the basement trainer. I'd rather ride outside unless it's really miserable.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:49 PM

Big fan of synthwave playlists on youtube
Old 11-30-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
I've got two linked 300 disc players... and then some.

Favs for the basement trainer are:

Pixies - all albums
White Denim - all albums
Urge Overkill's album Saturation
Deee-Lite's first album World Clique

That said, I hate the basement trainer. I'd rather ride outside unless it's really miserable.
Kim Deal was on the short list for late Eighties indie crushes. Fun fact: the female vocalist for the Scissor Sisters was in my social circle in the early Aughts. She later married the brother of DJ Lady Miss Kier.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:43 PM

I had a couple good running/training playlists, but I can't track them down now that I got a new MacBook about a month ago... lately been listening to the Fall on the trainer, and the one cd that always works for me is the collected Minor Threat. Never fails.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:28 PM

"Shelter At Home" Playlist

Thought I'd update the playlist given the current circumstances...

1) Primal Scream Loaded (from World's End Soundtrack): 4:05
2) Police Double Shot: Don't Stand So Close to Me: 3:57
3) Police When the World is running Down: 3:40
4) Pink Floyd Run Like Hell (Live): 7:06
5) REM It's The End of the World as We Know: It 4:04
6) Elvis Costello Waiting for End of the World: 3:23
7) Guns n Roses Welcome to the Jungle: 4:24
8) Tool Aenema: 6:39
9) Waterboys Strange Boat: 4:51
10) Clash Straight to Hell: 5:32
11) Mumford and Sons: Guiding Light: 3:42

Best in Show: I hate to vote against the Only Band That Mattered, but I'll go with Mumford and Sons. Gotta stay positive in times like this.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:58 PM

EDM, Industrial, Trap and Dubstep get me through my Zwift races.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:06 PM

I watched Crime Scene Cleaner, a German comedy, on the laptop today.

Tags
zwift