Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2019, 03:14 AM

Eddy Merckx Frame Identification

Hello everyone - especially fans of Eddy Merckx bicycles. If you want I can help you identify / describe any EMC (steel) frame based on photos, descriptions or manufacturer's markings (preferably all at once).
First you should get used to some facts (it will be difficult):
- The Z series does not mean 1985.
- the E series of 94/95 does not exist
- no EMC model was called Professional (officially)
- This means that no symbol (A,B, G, F.... and mythical P) has been assigned to this model (conventionally called "Professional").
- not all frames built with Columbus SLX/SPX are X marked, not all frames marked with X are Corsa Extra model
- T is not assigned to Columbus TSX
- slope crown was introduced as early as 1981, the guides over BB cover were installed as early as 1986
- all the "professional extras" (number hanger, name on frame, cable inside the top tube) were only options available on request.
- EMC and De Rosa used the same patterns for the frame parts. There is no evidence that at least one frame sold by EMC was built by Ugo De Rosa.
That's enough. Maybe it is worth mentioning that 50-80% of frames appearing in the net (on this forum as well) have an incorrect / incomplete description. Do you want to know more?
Old 10-05-2019, 05:53 AM

I appreciate this wizard. Honestly.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:17 AM

What in the world is the C in EMC??? Cycles?

Corsa?

Last edited by ultraman6970; 10-05-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:32 AM

Most people probably know this page, but it is worth putting it out there--the best (though not complete) breakdown of serial numbers:

http://www.cadre.org/Merckx/

{Missed the other thread--I see it already was mentioned, sorry}

Last edited by paredown; 10-05-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:45 AM
Head to Ned

Thank you for your information in the other thread about my MXL.
Now how about we get the real story on a Corsa Extra SLX?!
Numbers on it are S 2X B 8976. The name associated with it was Harry Hendrikx. It is 62 x 59. What are your observations here?
Thank you again for your expertise on the EMC steel frames, much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EM Corsa Extra SLX.jpg (107.6 KB, 1258 views)

Last edited by witcombusa; 10-05-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:19 AM

Between you and me, the way i do understand the 1st post is that the builders at EM grabbed the numbers and letters punch downs, and picked $hit and hammering it randomly over the BB so it looks like a serial number

Or EM himself just thought, ok this one will be this $hit random numbers and letters to this one right on the spot, then put them in a spreadsheet so he doesnt create more random numbers repeated?

Old 10-05-2019, 10:22 AM

1) EMC (Eddy Merckx Cycles) has introduced a simple and logical frame marking system. Nobody would waste time and money playing random markings. The conclusions of #6 are premature
2) To identify EMC frames do not use cadre.org, the number of errors, misrepresentations and misinformation is really high.
3) it's not Mr Jeremy Rauch's fault, it's just a matter of a small database (the cadre register contains less than 100 descriptions, there are over 1000 in my register).
4) S2X B8976: S - code number of the employee preparing the frame before chrome plating / painting (other it: A,B,D,F,G,H,J,K,L,M*,N,P,T,V,Y,^); 2 - seat tube height (measured in cm, second digit - in this case 62cm); X - frame / tube / geometry type designation - in this case Columbus SLX/SPX, road racing geo (others are: C,CX,M*,R,TT,TT,TTB,WW,XB), not all types had "their" designation.
All these "technical" markings were placed on the left side of the BB cover.
5) B - designation of another production batch (other: E,Z,A,C,D,F,G,H,J,K,L); there was a 'letterless' series in 1980 and copies without serial number; 8976 - number of another frame in the series (in letter series 9999 frames were produced in each series, in letterless series - slightly more than 1000)
All these 'statistical' markings were placed on the right-hand side of the BB cover.
6) Beautiful Corsa Extra in the colours of the Weinmann 1990 team, produced at the beginning of...1990. I didn't find any information about Mr. Hendrikx, maybe it's the same situation as Mr. de Clus.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Old 10-05-2019, 11:02 AM
Head to Ned

Thank you very much Emerxil !
Old 10-05-2019, 11:11 AM

Hi Emerxil,

This is a 58 x 58 cm MXL that I think may have been a team bike?

The bottom bracket is marked with a ‘L’ on the left and on the right there is a ‘D’ with a 7202 below it.

I’m attaching some photos below.

Many thanks!

Old 10-05-2019, 11:46 AM

The beautiful Mx Leader in the Lotto Caloi 93 team . It could be a team bike, but I can't confirm it. There is a frame (Bauer Motorola stealth) marked D7479, yours was built ~1 month earlier; frames built in November/December 1992 for Motorola and Telekom were marked D50xx-52xx, yours was built ~4 months later; production date: April/May 1993 (I cannot do it more precisely)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Old 10-05-2019, 12:34 PM

How have you come up with all your info? Did you work for EMC?
Old 10-05-2019, 12:57 PM

White Intelligence. Three years ago I knew nothing about EMC. Now I know a little bit more... Net, books, press releases, films, catalogues, wise people - sources scattered in 1000 places. It started with an old rusty scrap metal EM Pro SLX from 1985 - of course I came across cadre.org: I didn't like the table with the frame data and dating, for such a complicated marking system there was an incredible mess. I decided to sort it out, but I needed more data - I started to collect it, then somehow logically work it out. Nothing special. I didn't work in EMC, it wouldn't help me at all (unless my name was Merckx or Vranckx). You are standing on the side - you can see more
Old 10-05-2019, 03:45 PM

Just to clarify:
This gentleman has really sussed out the Merckx numbering system. He's been helping us out for months over on BF. Guy's the real deal.

As an owner of a number of Merckx frames over the past decade or so, I am very grateful for his work.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:09 PM

Thank you so very much Emerxil, I really appreciate your help!
Old 10-05-2019, 05:32 PM

Ok gonna have to post the serial number of mine then.

Tags
merckx, steel frames