Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
What’s not to get?

If the gum is 1.27 you pay exactly that with a card as opposed to forking over 2 singles and probably losing the 73 cents.

The other good thing about cards is the monthly reports that let you see exactly where your money is going; which can help with budgeting.

I still use cash for shady dive bars and food trucks though
There's a taqueria in an airport that I frequent for work that has really good food to go, but when I use a credit card there, the charge comes through as "Tequila Somethingorother." I stopped using my company credit card there when I get food...
Old 01-26-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
I always carry cash as well. But aside from that, it always flips me out when I see someone standing in line (typically in front of me) paying for something like a pack of gum with a cc. Never really 'got that'....
I prefer to see someone with a card or phone app waiting at the checkout. Having to wait for someone to search every pocket and slot in their wallet or stopping to pick up the dropped small change....................... I'm not that busy but a digital transaction is a one second deal. In a big business cashless is safer cheaper and faster. That is reflected here in Japan with discounts for cashless.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
I prefer to see someone with a card or phone app waiting at the checkout. Having to wait for someone to search every pocket and slot in their wallet or stopping to pick up the dropped small change....................... I'm not that busy but a digital transaction is a one second deal. In a big business cashless is safer cheaper and faster. That is reflected here in Japan with discounts for cashless.
Search every pocket? Really?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2020, 05:45 PM
il Curmudgeoni

The future?

Quote:
The year 2020 will bring a requirement in Greece that at least 30 percent of purchases be made using debit or credit cards to prevent big fines as the New Democracy government becomes the latest trying to crack down on using cash to evade paying taxes.

Fines for not using cards for the 30 percent threshold will be 22 percent of the difference between spending and the undeclared gap although the jobless and people over 70 will be exempt from the requirement.
https://www.thenationalherald.com/27...re-in-plastic/
Old 01-26-2020, 07:23 PM

There is an entire ethnic community near NYC where if you pay your restaurant bill in cash you will not be charged sales tax (details omitted to protect the guilty).

And for every old person fumbling with cash, I have waited behind a young person (usually) trying to make some sort of phone related payment work (including arguing with cashiers over the price on their phone and the price that rings up).
Old 03-31-2020, 08:41 AM

I was at the post office yesterday to mail a package. They were only accepting credit and debit cards, no cash. I understand why they're doing this, but I'd guess that there are many people living in the low-income housing in my neighborhood who don't have either a credit or debit card.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
There's a taqueria in an airport that I frequent for work that has really good food to go, but when I use a credit card there, the charge comes through as "Tequila Somethingorother." I stopped using my company credit card there when I get food...
Right. Don't take your clients to this place and expect to expense it!

The Strip House
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy