Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2019, 05:12 PM

Bo Jackson...run, catch, hit, run up walls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk3l_L-VJ3w
Old 01-22-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
People are funny…

“Brady is not the best, he sucks, he couldn’t play in the old league, he would get mauled, ripped apart, beat to crap and he would suck….he just couldn’t compete…”

How many times have we had threads here where people complain about hard hits, wearing helmets, increased safety, concussions and TBI, etc….. The rules changed for a reason…players have become bigger, stronger, and faster. Let the current crop of linemen and linebackers (take them back in time or today) play by the old rules and how many QB’s do you think would last without getting annihilated? Just about none of them. The old school guys were mean, but no where near the athleticism of current players. By today’s standards going to practice, partying drinking Miller lite, eating steak, and going to practice just doesn’t cut it anymore. Rules changed for a reason.

So, like them or not, in the present, within the current timeline that exists, by the stats, Brady is the GOAT. Belllacheck…Likely another GOAT. The Patriots, one of the best franchises in the NFL to date.

NFL dynasties come and go, but B&B&P has had a longer run than most. You can hate them for it, but that doesn’t change the fact that they got it done when they needed to get it done.

W.
I don't think anyone's arguing he's terrible and sucks. The argument is the stats wouldn't be what they are because the game is fundamentally different today than it was across eras. And, by extension, what Unitas did -- essentially creating the model of what a modern quarterback is -- and his achievements are more impressive than the counting stats Brady has accumulated to this point.

They're not unimpressive, but its really hard to argue across eras in the NFL. It's like comparing Clayton Kershaw to Walter Johnson or Cy Young. Yeah, it's the same game, but its practically an entirely different sport. Is Cy Young a better pitcher than Clayton Kershaw because he won 511 games (7,000+ innings pitched is insane) by pitching every 3rd game until his arm fell off?

The NFL modernized to protect players, notable QBs, stiffened rules for defenses and offense has exploded. Its impossible to say what someone like Unitas would have done in this era or Brady in Unitas' time. But I seriously doubt Tommy is playing until he's 42 in the older league.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:28 PM
Viva Chamucos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Sweetness has to get some votes!!
Sweetness indeed. Absolutely amazing.

I think there are just too many players on the roster in the game of football versus other sports to limit it too one player to say GOAT. By position, it is a little easier to get to 5-10 names.

Some have suggested that Brady is not athletic or tough. I don’t know, he was a star player in high school, drafted by MLB, started 2 years at Michigan and won there and then carried on to even higher levels in the NFL Seems like he has been successful at all levels suggesting it’s more than the coach or the system. Also, as the QB his job is to get the team down the field and into the end zone. Although he is not a fast runner he seems to know how to move his feet just so to avoid a sack, gets rid of the ball real quick and inthe last game was zipping the ball into impossibly tight windows past defenders, etc. everyone knew the game was over when NE won the coin toss. there was no doubt he was going to march them down and score. And he did. After so many years and so many wins it ain’t luck.

They say Romo was a genius at predicting what Brady was going to do. I say it’s the opposite it’s Brady that is the genius. Romo had the advantage of a bird’s eye view of the field. The great QBs all have an ability to walk up to the line and at ground level figure things out in the heat of battle. Romo was describing the weakness on one side of the line or a man to man advantage and lo and behold Brady saw it too, processed it and then executed. Romo was a really good QB but the fact remains Brady could do all that and Romo couldn’t. That’s why Brady keeps playing and winning and Romo is sitting in the booth in awe of Brady’s performance.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:12 PM

What I see with the Patriots is an almost old school type of 'system' that you fit into. Brady is the leader of the team, period. There are no whining receivers or running backs making a scene on the sidelines when they don't get the ball. it's all about knowing your job and performing with no concern about individual glory stats. Players buy quickly into this or they're gone...

Few teams (especially in the modern era) can pull that off, especially for as long as they have. Bellicheck's system seems to work regardless of who plays for him. They always seem to pull players out of the woodwork and play at a high level. It reminds me a little of the way Shula coached.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:28 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Bingo!!

You can win a lot or make a ton of cash. In the NFL they rarely go together well.

Players here need to be smart enough to learn complex schemes quickly so the can perform. Again, if they can’t they’re Gone.

There is also a solid coaching staff. Linebackers coach/defensive play caller will most likely be the new Head Coach in Miami. McDaniels could get another HC job if he wanted it (but he doesn’t right now).

But please, don’t say Brady is a product of the system. Not everyone could thrive/succeed under Belichik.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:55 PM
Boeuf Chane

Not important enough to start a new thread on this, so I'll put it here. (plus, there's plenty of conspiracy talk up-thread, so it will fit right in)

1) Does anyone (other than Saints fans, who understandably aren't impartial) think that the refs purposely ignored the pass interference call on the Nickell Robey-Coleman (defender) vs Tommylee Lewis (receiver) or was it just an incomprehensible degree of incompetence on the part of the refs?

I find both of these options hard to believe. Is there a third?

2) Too bad Lewis didn't drop to the ground writhing in pain to make it much more difficult for the foul to be ignored, but I suppose he figured there was no way in the world that was going to happen, given how blatant it was.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:20 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Not important enough to start a new thread on this, so I'll put it here. (plus, there's plenty of conspiracy talk up-thread, so it will fit right in)

1) Does anyone (other than Saints fans, who understandably aren't impartial) think that the refs purposely ignored the pass interference call on the Nickell Robey-Coleman (defender) vs Tommylee Lewis (receiver) or was it just an incomprehensible degree of incompetence on the part of the refs?

2) Too bad Lewis didn't drop to the ground writhing in pain to make it much more difficult for the foul to be ignored, but I suppose he figured there was no way in the world that was going to happen, given how blatant it was.
For a short time I had considered number 1 as two refs were RIGHT there. I mean not one ref saw it?

I figure it was just a colossal f-up, but the sad thing is the length with which fans are willing to go to with suing the NFL to get just a redo or something. It sucks when your team loses as a result of a massive blunder, but as a Pats fan, I’d rather go against Goff then Brees.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I don't think anyone's arguing he's terrible and sucks. The argument is the stats wouldn't be what they are because the game is fundamentally different today than it was across eras. And, by extension, what Unitas did -- essentially creating the model of what a modern quarterback is -- and his achievements are more impressive than the counting stats Brady has accumulated to this point.

The game is fundamentally different today. The defensive players are bigger and faster and the defensive schemes are much more complicated.

Jeff
Old 01-22-2019, 08:05 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

I’m pretty sure the league already admitted to a colossal blunder.

They won’t redo anything but I have already heard talk of having the replay official be able to review any 15 yard penalty plus possibly PI calls and non-calls with the ability to assess or overturn penalties.

Not sure what the long term answer is and maybe things are more closely watched during playoff games where the stakes are so much higher.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:32 PM

Lasergate

Since this thread started seasons ago during “deflategate,” maybe it’s time to bring it back full circle to new allegations of cheating.

Quote:
The NFL will "look into the report" from a Kansas City television station that a laser was flashed at New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady during the fourth quarter of Sunday's AFC Championship Game at Arrowhead Stadium, according to a league spokesman.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...gland-patriots

Classy.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Stay classy Chiefs fans. I cannot stand Brady or the Patriots but THIS is messed up.

NFL Investigating use of laser pointers aimed at Tom Brady during AFC game

WTAF is wrong with people ??

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses...67244890869761
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
Since this thread started seasons ago during “deflategate,” maybe it’s time to bring it back full circle to new allegations of cheating.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...gland-patriots

Classy.
Really??? You don’t say.....
Old 01-25-2019, 03:32 PM

Youngster "Proves" Brady is a Cheater

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/kentu...y-is-a-cheater

It's what we call a "poorly designed experiment" in statistics, but I'm willing to cut him some slack, since he's only 10.

Last edited by bthornt; 01-25-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Sweetness indeed. Absolutely amazing.

I think there are just too many players on the roster in the game of football versus other sports to limit it too one player to say GOAT. By position, it is a little easier to get to 5-10 names.

Some have suggested that Brady is not athletic or tough. I don’t know, he was a star player in high school, drafted by MLB, started 2 years at Michigan and won there and then carried on to even higher levels in the NFL Seems like he has been successful at all levels suggesting it’s more than the coach or the system. Also, as the QB his job is to get the team down the field and into the end zone. Although he is not a fast runner he seems to know how to move his feet just so to avoid a sack, gets rid of the ball real quick and inthe last game was zipping the ball into impossibly tight windows past defenders, etc. everyone knew the game was over when NE won the coin toss. there was no doubt he was going to march them down and score. And he did. After so many years and so many wins it ain’t luck.

They say Romo was a genius at predicting what Brady was going to do. I say it’s the opposite it’s Brady that is the genius. Romo had the advantage of a bird’s eye view of the field. The great QBs all have an ability to walk up to the line and at ground level figure things out in the heat of battle. Romo was describing the weakness on one side of the line or a man to man advantage and lo and behold Brady saw it too, processed it and then executed. Romo was a really good QB but the fact remains Brady could do all that and Romo couldn’t. That’s why Brady keeps playing and winning and Romo is sitting in the booth in awe of Brady’s performance.
I agree he definitely isn't un-athletic, and could probably "out athlete" many of us on this forum, just not nearly the athleticism of most (if not all) of the other skill positions on the field, and maybe the odd lineman as well. Compared to the typical skill guy he looks slow and somewhat uncoordinated to me. So I'm thinking a "relative" un-athleticism - if you want to call it that.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post

I know several people who seriously think the NFL is rigged.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:19 PM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
I know several people who seriously think the NFL is rigged.
Hmmm. If it is, there are some folks in Vegas who would be quite disappointed. (Although one might argue that it's other people in Vegas who would be the likely suspects if there was any fixing happening.)