Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2019, 02:18 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Malibu canyons. Ride/drive up PCH and take your pick. Many are easily linked. You'll find nothing better. Anywhere.

If I were choosing: ride Latigo and go from there.

Another fav or mine: Park at Zuma Beach. From there ride west (left) on PCH. Up Encinal Canyon (connecting Decker) to Mulholland. Turn left and ride Mulholland all the way back down to PCH and then back to Zuma. If you like great, fast, tech descents...go down Decker to PCH. Hang on tight.
Here's something concrete along the above lines for you to get a better sense: https://www.strava.com/activities/2886499518

The loop that begins around mile 22, at the base of Latigo Canyon (where the photo is), would be about 50 miles and 7k of elevation. I, too, if forced to do only one climb, would choose Latigo -- challenging but not brutal, gorgeous views and very light traffic.

There is fresh pavement on Mulholland to PCH and it's closed to through traffic, so a great descent (or climb if you reverse), but watch out for gravel and rocks in the road since it's not swept. There is also fresh pavement on Yerba Buena, though only after ~3 miles of pretty poor road surface, but that fresh section is stunning. And my route includes the Decker descent -- some tight turns so be alert, but you'll have the feeling of being about to fall into the ocean.

If I were doing this route I'd probably park at Trancas (mile 66.6) in order to get a nice long warmup before climbing, and also to finish where you can get food & drink.

There are not as many water stops as there used to be. You can fill up at Leo Carillo, where Mulholland hits PCH (mile 45.9), or just up the road if Neptune's Net is open (mile 47.6). There is also a water fountain at the fire station near the top of Decker Rd. (mile 60). (To be clear: I'm referencing mileage along the entire Strava route above but not suggesting the whole thing, just the 50 mile loop beginning around mile 22.)

Last edited by cgolvin; 12-09-2019 at 02:23 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-09-2019, 03:49 PM

Head up a bit further north (101) to Solvang/Santa Ynez Valley. Absolutely the best.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 12-09-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:01 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
Head up to Solvang/Santa Ynez Valley. Absolutely the best.
Welcome to Paceline.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Welcome to Paceline.
W'thank you!
Old 12-09-2019, 04:21 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
W'thank you!
Y' welcome! (Actually the text of my comment was for the OP.)
Old 12-09-2019, 07:55 PM

+1 on Latigo

It’s the one climb I take people to do when visiting. Not many places you can find a 10mi climb with those views and virtually no traffic (minus PCH getting there).

Still my all time fave climb.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:05 PM

Perfect. I have scheduled for Latigo for day 3 and will probably stay around Glendora area after that
Old 12-10-2019, 01:25 PM
#RYFB

Good call, checking off both Latigo and GMR in one trip is a win. Feel free to DM if you want a route that you can load into your phone or other device.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:48 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:

SNIP

I, too, if forced to do only one climb, would choose Latigo -- challenging but not brutal, gorgeous views and very light traffic.

There is fresh pavement on Mulholland to PCH and it's closed to through traffic, so a great descent (or climb if you reverse), but watch out for gravel and rocks in the road since it's not swept. There is also fresh pavement on Yerba Buena.

There are not as many water stops as there used to be. You can fill up at Leo Carillo, where Mulholland hits PCH (mile 45.9), or just up the road if Neptune's Net is open (mile 47.6). There is also a water fountain at the fire station near the top of Decker Rd. (mile 60). (To be clear: I'm referencing mileage along the entire Strava route above but not suggesting the whole thing, just the 50 mile loop beginning around mile 22.)
Ah. Making me miss it so much! Nothing better than a little refuel at Neptune's Net after coming down Yerba (what a bone shaker up top (ok if climbing)).

When I retire, I'm just going to live at the Leo Carillo camp grounds.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:51 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Ah. Making me miss it so much! Nothing better than a little refuel at Neptune's Net after coming down Yerba (what a bone shaker up top (ok if climbing)).

When I retire, I'm just going to live at the Leo Carillo camp grounds.
Great calls on both!
Old 12-10-2019, 02:32 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
It's a completely different road now that it has been repaved, though to date I've only climbed it. I neglected to mention that the new pavement continues to Deer Creek -- that means you could climb Mulholland, descend Yerba Buena, climb Cotharin, and descend Deer Creek almost entirely on fresh tarmac.

That one's on my Festive 500 plan -- all are welcome to join
Old 12-10-2019, 06:34 PM

sorry to hijack, but the wife has LA relatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
but this time of year, i think mtb is the way to go, especially early morning if it's been super cold overnight you get some hero dirt in the AM
I was planning to hit trails near santa clarita the day before Thanksgiving, but the rain killed that plan. But, in case we visit again, what are good mtb spots?
I like climbing and flowing single track. I don't hit jumps nor do I love sketchy technical descents, but don't mind small-medium (<2 ft) drops, some rock gardens, erosion ruts etc. I rode at a state park near (just south of) Pt Magu in Ventura County and that was fun and pretty comfortable o all the trails i found. I've been to santiago oaks near anaheim once, it was fun. next time we are there, I'd love to bring my mtb and escape for a bit. I usually just check mtbproject but know there are often good trails that aren't on there (for example the great hub trails in Idyllwild are not there)
Old 12-11-2019, 12:29 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
It's a completely different road now that it has been repaved, though to date I've only climbed it. I neglected to mention that the new pavement continues to Deer Creek -- that means you could climb Mulholland, descend Yerba Buena, climb Cotharin, and descend Deer Creek almost entirely on fresh tarmac.

That one's on my Festive 500 plan -- all are welcome to join
Wow. That's awesome to hear about the new tarmac!

From what I mentioned before, I liked taking the ride up Encinal then riding down Mulholland to PCH THEN (instead of heading back towards Santa Monica) heading out to Yerba for the climb up....continuing to Little Sycamore back to the opposite direction on Mulholland to then be able to descend Decker. So much goodness.

Yes, riding down Yerba with the old pavement wasn't fun. Hard to see all those great corners missed as a result of needing to go slow to deal with the pavement. The new tarmac would be lovely...also great to be able to reach Dear Creek.

I guess I have to come back now!
Old 12-12-2019, 12:38 PM

So I figure I have three days of scenic riding. I’ll be out there for a week so will probs try to find a group or something to coast with another day or two.

My game plan is this:

Day 1 - Griffith Observatory
Close to family and my nerd self LOVES that place

Day 2 - PCH
https://www.spinlister.com/blog/poin...monica-malibu/

Day 3 - Latigo
https://rootsrated.com/los-angeles-c...canyon-cycling

Any gps files or side routes y’all can think of?
Old 12-12-2019, 01:44 PM
#RYFB

I can definitely provide ridewithgps routes.

But…perhaps jaundiced as a lifelong resident, but riding up and back on PCH is not an appealing prospect. Plus, you'll pass right by the base of your day 3 Latigo climb. If you're really keen to ride that stretch of PCH, I'd recommend you do it in two pieces.

Your day 2: start in Santa Monica, ride up PCH, climb Latigo, descend Kanan Dume (a bit trafficked but fast), return to SaMo.

Your day 3: start in Zuma, go north and do a loop like climbing Mulholland and descending Decker (just e.g.).

If those sound good let me know and I'll put together the routes.