Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

It's kind of tough to criticize the cyclist too much, since you never really know how you'll react when provoked, but trying to take on a driver while you're on the bike and he's in his car is a bad idea.

If the driver stops, gets out of the car, and you feel like fighting him, then by all means, as long as the driver's not Bruce Lee or William, you might have a chance. But car vs bike, car nearly always wins.

Finally, the cyclist was pretty stupid to put that in writing and distribute it for the whole world to see. Good luck in court, buddy.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
Finally, the cyclist was pretty stupid to put that in writing and distribute it for the whole world to see. Good luck in court, buddy.
No luck needed. The cyclist could have flipped him off, insulted his mother, or begged him to hit. The court doesn't rule two wrongs excuse a third, life threatening wrong. Once the driver crossed the line, in front of witnesses, and further proved he was more than eager to assault someone, anyone, he dug his grave. And in court, he'll probably still stick to his conviction that when your ahead of someone, you are totally absolved of any accidents that occur behind you. He's completely oblivious to the concept of fault in "cutting someone off." To him, the only crime is letting someone get ahead of you.

Last edited by JD Smith; 08-27-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Smith
No luck needed. The cyclist could have flipped him off, insulted his mother, or begged him to hit. The court doesn't rule two wrongs excuses a third, life threatening wrong. Once the driver crossed the line, in front of witnesses, and further proved he was more than eager to assault someone, anyone, he dug his grave.
I'm no lawyer, but that makes sense to me. I mean, the driver hit the cyclist...on purpose! I can't imagine anyone but the driver getting punished for that.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I hope the driver gets what he deserves, sounds like he's a kook, but some folks may agree with him if he claims that he was provoked by a crazy cyclist.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.vader123
I'm no lawyer, but that makes sense to me. I mean, the driver hit the cyclist...on purpose! I can't imagine anyone but the driver getting punished for that.
Just to be clear, I realize the cyclist could very well be at fault for putting himself in the position to get hit by a person who was willing to cut him off. But saying "shoot me" doesn't absolve the shooter.

To be truthful, I've done the same thing-sped up, knowing legally, I'm not at fault, but ignoring the fact that some drivers will take it up a notch, and their concern with winning or teaching a lesson will trump any small concern they have for a fellow human's life. By setting up a race to reach a certain point or turn, I'm purposefully setting the driver up to perform an illegal action, taking advantage of the driver's competitive nature, douchebaggery, and lack of self-control.
It's weird when it happens. In my mind, I'm almost saying, "This douche is probably willing to do this. Lets just see if I can tempt him into doing it." Maybe it's about getting satisfaction out of feeling like you can direct another's actions, set them up for failure.
I like to think as I get older, I'm better able to think rationally and weigh the benefits of winning the mind game versus losing the life game.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Smith
Just to be clear, I realize the cyclist could very well be at fault for putting himself in the position to get hit by a person who was willing to cut him off. But saying "shoot me" doesn't absolve the shooter.

To be truthful, I've done the same thing-sped up, knowing legally, I'm not at fault, but ignoring the fact that some drivers will take it up a notch, and their concern with winning or teaching a lesson will trump any small concern they have for a fellow human's life. By setting up a race to reach a certain point or turn, I'm purposefully setting the driver up to perform an illegal action, taking advantage of the driver's competitive nature, douchebaggery, and lack of self-control.
It's weird when it happens. In my mind, I'm almost saying, "This douche is probably willing to do this. Lets just see if I can tempt him into doing it." Maybe it's about getting satisfaction out of feeling like you can direct another's actions, set them up for failure.
I like to think as I get older, I'm better able to think rationally and weigh the benefits of winning the mind game versus losing the life game.
Good point, but you know what will stop me from goading an insane driver? Knowing that I don't want to wreck my nice, expensive bike.

(I know, I should be worried about my life more than a little bike.)
Old 08-28-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.vader123
Good point, but you know what will stop me from goading an insane driver? Knowing that I don't want to wreck my nice, expensive bike.

(I know, I should be worried about my life more than a little bike.)
If concern for the safety of your bike translates into safety for yourself, it's all good. After taking the time to find the right frame, research and spend money on parts, built up the wheels, and get everything just right, I should be that smart.
As a cyclists, I know I have rights. But I have to realize sometimes other won't respect those rights, and at that exact moment, I can't force them to respect them, or dole out punishment for not respecting them. And it's always in that exact moment when feelings of justice are strongest. Those feelings are strong enough for us to risk our lives. We have to swallow our ego, take down a plate number, and seek justice off the bike.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:32 AM

Well I believe bicycles have the same rights as automobiles and I hesitate to say I do not react well to someone who tries to bully me because he drives a car.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:56 AM

Driver at fault, but cyclist is an idiot for even bothering to confront.
Bike vs car, like bringing butterflies to a gunfight.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:50 AM

this incident is very unfortunate and really needs very little commentary. steps should have been taken to avoid this "accident".
Old 08-28-2011, 08:29 AM

What the hell are you doing!

Why not let the guy get up the road and out of your life. 25 mph after the first minor incident tells me the bike rider's chasing for a fight.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:51 AM

X2..... Not that I haven't pulled some dumbass stunts before!

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PezTech
A$$hole driver...

Idiot Rider...
Old 08-28-2011, 09:00 AM
#bottlestorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster
What the hell are you doing!

Why not let the guy get up the road and out of your life. 25 mph after the first minor incident tells me the bike rider's chasing for a fight.

Bingo and I think he found one.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:03 AM

Recently becoming a dad makes me think twice before pulling stunts like this. There are other (more intelligent) ways to prove your point.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim
Recently becoming a dad makes me think twice before pulling stunts like this. There are other (more intelligent) ways to prove your point.
Can't say I wouldn't have been capable of this before...that's why it's called the heat of the moment, but after having kiddos, you realize there's too much to lose....for what? To say I won a pissing contest with a complete loser...Yippee