Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2005, 09:46 AM
Is this roundtrip?

Open house question, Sandy? Climb?

After all that noise, did the race go off as planned? Who won?
Old 06-15-2005, 09:53 AM
Kevan's Rose

Ginger

Climb was too much of a gentleman to even mention the possibility of racing. There is no doubt in my mind that Climb could have made the climb to Lake Desolation twice in the time it took me to do it once.

I was very disheartended and discouraged by my cycling at the Open House this year and I plan to do a lot about it by next year's Open House. Climb will always be far superior to me in cycling, as will be most everyone else, but I will be different and improved next year.I did fine the year before.

Sandy

Last edited by Sandy; 06-15-2005 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:00 AM
Is this roundtrip?

Sandy,
I didn't mean to bring up a disenheartening point. You're awfully tough on yourself my friend. Even though you don't think your cycling has improved, I'm sure it has.

And I bet you could still beat him on the descents!

Old 06-15-2005, 06:51 PM
Elizabeth and Jenny's Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy
Climb was too much of a gentleman to even mention the possibility of racing. There is no doubt in my mind that Climb could have made the climb to Lake Desolation twice in the time it took me to do it once.

I was very disheartended and discouraged by my cycling at the Open House this year and I plan to do a lot about it by next year's Open House. Climb will always be far superior to me in cycling, as will be most everyone else, but I will be different and improved next year.I did fine the year before.

Sandy
Sandy,

Next year I will make it to the Open House and promise that you will destroy at least one person; me.

Kevin

"Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson

"You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you are having a good day." - Daniel Behrman
Old 06-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy
I was very disheartended and discouraged by my cycling at the Open House this year and I plan to do a lot about it by next year's Open House. Climb will always be far superior to me in cycling, as will be most everyone else, but I will be different and improved next year.
Sandy,

I've noticed you're grand dislike for hills and that post about being a better hill climber never got a good clear answer (as so few questions on this board ever do) My suggestion is to find a good coach in your area, start with the basics, assume nothing and learn the sport from the ground up. It's something I do every year with the riders I coach, while the start is a lot of work on things so simple you would never think to work on them, I get results. When I say coach, I'm not talking someone who tells you how many hours to ride on which days. I'm talking about someone who will work with you on riding technique. Correcting common problems will make more of a differenc in your climbing and riding than weeks of struggling with the same problems.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:04 PM
Kevan's Rose

Ti Designs

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I actually really enjoy climbing hills. It is just that I m so poor at it, relative to those that I ride with. I feel as if I can accelerate and sprint faster than some of those that drop me so very badly on the hills. I have no confidence and at the first hill, I have already given up.

I know that at 220 or so, I am much too heavy and I know that I am not focused enough in my riding, and that I often ride with slower riders. But maybe, I am just too old, and simply don't have the necessary focus, and endurance to improve very much. I believe my leg strength is adequate for my age. I seem to be able to catch a lot of people on the flats who drop me big time, and quickly, in the hills. Perhaps, I just am not good enough.

I am most fortunate at my age to have the physical and mental ability to enjoy a passion- my passion for cycling. I LOVE it. It has made me a most different person, both physically and emotionally. But sometimes I just get discouraged.

On the Friday ride, I was one of the last ones up the hill to Lake Desolation. I went down the hill very, very slowly since, not knowing the turns on the way down, it was not worth it for me to take any chances. When I got to the bottom, I was quite discouraged, and even embarassed to have everyone waiting for me.

I hope to have the mental toughness and focus to do what is necessary for improvement for next year.

Thank you, Ginger, and Kevin the very kind comments and suggestions given.

Sandy

I

Last edited by Sandy; 06-15-2005 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:28 PM
Is this roundtrip?

Ah Sandy, I should have come to Open house, you certainly would have beat me both up and down the hills.
Ti designs has it right. An actual coach would do you wonders. Every time I've gone riding with one my riding has improved.

However, from your last post I see it's your mindset not your riding that's at issue!
After my mortocycle accident I too have issues with speed. People wait for me...that really used to bother me. Embarrass me even.

Then I realized that these people on the rides were not waiting for me because I was slow.
They were waiting for me because they are my friends!

Ride On!
Old 06-15-2005, 08:42 PM
ZhugeLiang

Cows Can Fly!!!

Oh my dear friend S-A-N-D-Y, don't fret. Your prayer has been answered....LOOK! You even get to keep the helmet...

weisan

Last edited by weisan; 06-15-2005 at 08:48 PM. Reason: So Sandy can fly up the hills...
Old 06-15-2005, 09:43 PM

My good mate Sanford. Listen to the wise Miss Ginger. Riding is a pleasure and should be enjoyed by those fortunate enough to participate. The folks waited for you at bottom of grade and you were embarassed? Brother, this was not done out of pity, spite nor a means to embarass you, it was an act of kindness, adoration and fondness for your company, humour and spirit. Please, next time this happens, smile, shake a few hands, thank everyone and even have some fun with it. Of all the cyclists I know, I honestly would have thought you more than anyone would have fun and find humour with such circumstances.

Unlike others, I would not support working with a professional coach. You do have some fine friends and mates locally in Smiley and Fly, I'm sure there are others. Perhaps they can pace you and help you with good cadence w/o the overbearing nature of a coaching environment. If you're REALLY serious, you may want to mount a cadence computer on bike and do some interval workouts but honestly I would probably avoid even items as fundamental as this. Cycling is a pleasurable experience for folks like you and I, be greatful you still have the ability to ride w/o excessive pains. You could monitor your weight a bit but I would never suggest a diet for purpose of losing weight, just monitor diet for proper cholesterol and salt intake. When riding, be sure you properly hydrate (H2O only) 30 minutes before a ride, maintain hydration during rides and use moderate electrolyte supplements on rides in excess of 1 hour. Spend a minimum of 30 minutes before and after each ride stretching, not just leg muscles but especially trunk areas like back, abs, neck and hips. Mix it up a bit, do some hiking, try swimming and occasionally push it hard up hills, then on your next ride, avoid the hills and concentrate on long sustained spins averaging 90+rpm cadence for 90 minute minimum. Most of all, learn to enjoy your riding opportunities and when you approach a hill take it in steps where you push hard for 3-5 minutes, relax 2-3, then push hard for another 3-5, etc.

You will never feel comfortable or enjoy riding in the hills if you feel as poorly about your climbing skills as you have expressed herein. If you're the slowest to the summit, so fricken what. Didn't you reach the summit and wasn't it fun? Stop and smell the roses occasionally, life is indeed a grand thing and being last to summit is hardly worth this much fret or "embarassment". Trust me, I speak from personal experience, the opportunity to ride a bicycle, any bicycle is a great opportunity...I wish I could still enjoy it myself...and I am still hopeful that one day I will again.

Ride on!
Old 06-15-2005, 09:50 PM
Bike Fitter

Big Mac , Sandy has no problems climbing hills from the rear when he's following a SMOKIN HOT BABE , I guess he failed to mention this point . We love the Big Fella to death and I still remember the first HILLY ride we took Sanford on at Black Hills , the man after Lake Desolation should have no more fears , last year he conquerd Spiers Falls . So what does Alexis have in mind next year to torture the big guy with for 2006 ???
Old 06-15-2005, 09:54 PM
You still here?

BigMac! How very nice to 'see' you again on the forum.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs
Sandy,

I've noticed you're grand dislike for hills and that post about being a better hill climber never got a good clear answer (as so few questions on this board ever do)
Hey HEY HEY! Are you kidding me? There were about 5 pages of well thought out posts in response to Sandy's "problem" with hill climbing. Some excellent suggestions were put forth. I don't agree with your knock on the forum. This is the most helpful group of cyclists, internet or not, I have ever run across. Lots of problems solved around here. IMHO of course.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:46 AM
needs adult supervision

yo big mac, welcome back!!! you've been guininely missed. hope to "see" more of you. your posts are always insightful, helpful and kind.

and sandy...seeing you and riding with you this year at open house was a true pleasure. please don't beat yourself up. the ride up to desolation lake was tough for everyone!!! and saturday's ride was unnecessarily harder because of lousy directions/misplaced arrows/general chaos, whatever. it had nothing to do with you or your fitness. you've got a ton of forum-pals who care about you a lot. isn't that a pretty sweet reward for your riding efforts?
Old 06-16-2005, 05:43 AM
Administrator

Sandy...

I second what Climb said. Going up and coming down, everyone has their own pace. We all waited for you because we like your company. Besides, the heat and humidity was kicking my, and probably most everyones arse that first day so it was tough on everyone. Just do what you can do at your own pace. Devote a day to doing hill intervals (TT can help you out there & set up a regimen for you). Coach? Your choice. I personally don't think they are necessary, but that's just my opinion.

We love you: XOXOX . Rhea Basset sends you a wet one.

Vax:
Ti's been on a rant lately. Yes Ti, I read all of your post in the other thread, even the part in the middle where you felt no one would be reading at that point and blathered on. I believe you even knocked everyone in the first photo of the climb up to the lake (correct me if I'm wrong). What gives man?

BigMac:
Good to have you back. Stick around for a while and join us.

William
Old 06-16-2005, 06:44 AM
Windrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac
Trust me, I speak from personal experience, the opportunity to ride a bicycle, any bicycle is a great opportunity...I wish I could still enjoy it myself...and I am still hopeful that one day I will again.

Ride on!
Big Mac:

Welcome back, didn't realize you couldn't ride........hope it's nothing serious.

Sandy:

"The mind limits what the body can endure."

You may not be a great climber, but as Mac says....you can choose to enjoy it. Will you?

I hope I'm as strong a rider as you are when I'm your age.

Len

"One of the largest obstacles to seeing truth......is wanting something too much."