Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2017, 08:22 AM
aka RAEKWON

2015 chorus RD setup

this is not my month, first the disc brake setup (which is actually working pretty decent now for some mysterious reason - ah actually putting the crappiest pads might have done the trick).

I got a brand new chorus 2015 group. All is installed and was starting to tune it all up. I have set up many records, chorus and last one I did was athena. No problems but this one is not giving me the same results. Lets say this, its not the components, its somethign I am doing wrong so I am not saying the new stuff is worst.

So my problem is in the upper gears, they over shift it seems. The chain goes but stay above the gears for a split second before dropping down. This happens on the top 3 gears. To me this means less cable tension so I adjust it and helps it (doesnt solve it) but then the setup has problems shifting the smaller first 2 gears because there is not enough cable tension.

THe cassette is a shimano ultegra 11-28. Should work just fine (I have my athena shifting a 11-32 cassette flawlessly). WHat could I be doing wrong? the limit screws all seem fine and the clicks are fine.

Also, what is that new screw on the new derailleur (that hits the derailleur tab in the back) for? I think I have seen it in non campy derailleur (I think my shimano XT had it). Anyways, not that it matters because I stripped it. I dunno why I wanted to turn it but I did and tried to and stripped the damn thing.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:28 AM
Administrator

gotta make sure that there is very little resistance in the shift cable, clean routing and gentle bends are key.

also - can you verify that the RD hanger is perfectly aligned?

also - cable end prep - gotta be nice and square/cleanly cut. if they are not seating "home" in the stops, it'll make the shifting imprecise and wonky.

chain length - make sure it's not too long, RD spring tension in the smaller gears needs to be something more than zero.

just a few things to look at.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:32 AM

Do you a larger than normal gap between top pulley and sprocket when in latgest cog?
Old 03-03-2017, 08:51 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Do you a larger than normal gap between top pulley and sprocket when in latgest cog?
no, it seems about right but I have changed it to be a bigger gap and all the way to not being able to go any further in and still same shifting.

@angry - I have not checked the RD alignment (don't have the tool), if I can't figure this out I will get one because I have wanted one for a while (by eye looks fine but I know thats not good enough)

Chain length is good, definitely not too long but do need to check the cables and how straight I cut the housing, I think should be fine but I should double check.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:53 AM

Thinking it's in your cable, as mentioned a non square housing end can cause cable tension to be inconsistent.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:57 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by booglebug View Post
Thinking it's in your cable, as mentioned a non square housing end can cause cable tension to be inconsistent.
will check. Will be dealing with this all day tomorrow.

Also, thanks guys for dealing with my ineptitude
Old 03-03-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
gotta make sure that there is very little resistance in the shift cable, clean routing and gentle bends are key.

also - cable end prep - gotta be nice and square/cleanly cut. if they are not seating "home" in the stops, it'll make the shifting imprecise and wonky.

chain length - make sure it's not too long, RD spring tension in the smaller gears needs to be something more than zero.

yep, all the above (that chain length is CRITICAL).

in my experience, (3 of 5 groups) 2015 Revolution RD's have been notoriously difficult/finicky to set up. word on the street was that the first batches had issues with out of spec cages.

r3awak3n, don't feel too bad about the experience. at least you didn't destroy a frame chasing a perfect install. my shop snapped off my frame's rear dropout trying to align the hanger, while troubleshooting. dudes weren't sure if the chain or the alignment was the issue.

Last edited by beeatnik; 03-03-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:11 PM
aka RAEKWON

Damn beeat, that blows.

Well I have all day tomorrow to mess with it some more. Will triple check the chain lenght. Now my question is, if its the rd, how will I know.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:09 PM

You may not need this, but there is a video on campagnolo.com that tells you how to dial in everything.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

Great ideas to look at and make sure the teeny brass washers are in the lever body..wee things the der housing pushes against. If one is turned sideways.and cable rubs ahainst it..instant drag. The 2mm allen nolt at the top of the rear der? Limit screws.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:06 AM
aka RAEKWON

so I checked the cables, they all nice and straight. Chain looks good. This is pretty frustrating. Sometimes I almost get it and then I keep playing with it and its all ruined lol. There is something weird going on for sure because I never had this many problems.

I guess I need to get the derailleur alignment tool and check that.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:11 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Great ideas to look at and make sure the teeny brass washers are in the lever body..wee things the der housing pushes against. If one is turned sideways.and cable rubs ahainst it..instant drag. The 2mm allen nolt at the top of the rear der? Limit screws.
not those, I am talking about the philips head that touches the frame, it makes the derailleur go up and down.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:16 AM

I wouldn't expect it from a new group, but a bad shifter could cause that overshifting and hesitation problem over a selected gear range. I've had that problem on an older system that was corrected by rebuilding the shifter. FWIW....
Old 03-04-2017, 11:54 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
I wouldn't expect it from a new group, but a bad shifter could cause that overshifting and hesitation problem over a selected gear range. I've had that problem on an older system that was corrected by rebuilding the shifter. FWIW....
not what I want to hear. this is becoming a nightmare. Just can't get it right and going to give up for now. Here is a little video that shows exactly the problem. I got it to shift a bit better than this but still rough, specially on the top end (you can see how the chain goes way up before dropping down into the gear.

http://tinypic.com/r/2dbw37m/9

Help!
Old 03-04-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Damn beeat, that blows.

Well I have all day tomorrow to mess with it some more. Will triple check the chain lenght. Now my question is, if its the rd, how will I know.
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...rt=15#p1224328

As I mentioned in my last post, the cage of all 11s RDs has always had a designed-in twist - it's been part of the design since 2009, so that in and of itself is absolutely *not* the issue.

Also as I mentioned, there does appear to be an infrequent issue in some production units where the derailleur cage is not sitting correctly oriented relative to the lower knuckle but the cause of this problem is not clear - it does not appear to be a batch problem, or unique to a specific product range.

If you find yourself affected by this issue, from the UK Service Centre perspective, if you are in the UK, PLEASE send us the dearilleur here at Velotech, or go to a Campagnolo ProShop who have direct access to us here at Velotech ... we / the ProShop need to have a copy of the proof of purchase with the unit in order for us to examine it under warranty - but we will look at it and repair / replace as appropriate.

The initial assessment will be visual, then in greater detail using a jig that we have constructed based around a pillar mounted accurately perpendicular to a surface plate, faced off and drilled / tapped to accept the fixing bolt of the RD. This jig allows us to determine that the RD turns around the top pivot bolt in a plane perpendicular to the centre-line of that bolt. Finally we'll assemble the RD to a system that we know to be 100% accurately aligned and do a shifting check.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...40861&start=30