Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2016, 09:40 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
Fluid is the only way to go.

The Ascent you're considering has high reviews, plus Nashbar has a lifetime warranty on all that they sell. This is how they word that warranty: "We stand behind every product we sell. If an item does not meet your expectations, simply return it. We guarantee your money back for a full year. After one year, we’ll provide an exchange, repair, or store credit to ensure you have the product that meets your needs."
Tackx used to make/makes PBS's trainers. I didn't look at the link, but PBS owns Nashbar...

I've got a fan trainer I'm borrowing from the shop for CX warmups. Light. LOUD! at speed. I'm looking at the Feedback trainer as a race warmup trainer and a Kickr or Elite smart trainer for the house (both are too heavy to take with)

M
Old 11-21-2016, 10:29 AM

Wind trainers are great considering the cost, however they're very loud which makes them difficult to use in a house, and if you live in an apartment neighbors can hear it especially those living below you, then if you watch TV or listen to music you have to turn up the volume and again that will bother neighbors.

I think those trainers sold by Nashbar (and other companies like Nashbar/Performance) are just generic trainers that get several different decals slapped on them for sale, doesn't mean they're a terrible machine because if you look at the Nashbar site they have plenty of reviews and most are highly favorable, so if you want a decent trainer to get started on without paying a lot of money I would get it.

By the way the 1Up that another posted listed is a very high quality trainer and it's the only one built in America, if the thing works $40 is a steal.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:37 PM
Back At It!

resurrecting this a bit...

I see a few folks recommend the Kurts... there is a Road 1.0 on my local CL for $200, figure I can get it for a little less...

Thoughts? use it with Zwift or other programs?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2016, 06:43 PM
aka RAEKWON

$200 for the kurt is fine, not amazing but not bad either.

works fine with zwift through the virtual power, of course better with a power meter but when zwift first came out all I used was a kurt and was fine. Then when I got a power meter it got more accurate. Now I have a kickr :P
Old 12-04-2016, 06:44 PM

I bought the ascent fluid unit new shipped for less than 100 on crashbar.
I have used it a few times successfully. I considered a used kurt unit but did not see the advantage given the hassle of finding something used.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
$200 for the kurt is fine, not amazing but not bad either.

works fine with zwift through the virtual power, of course better with a power meter but when zwift first came out all I used was a kurt and was fine. Then when I got a power meter it got more accurate. Now I have a kickr :P
The add on power module that allows for calibration is very accurate according to DC rainmaker. The downside is no control/Erg.

I still train on it anyway.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:05 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
The add on power module that allows for calibration is very accurate according to DC rainmaker. The downside is no control/Erg.

I still train on it anyway.
did I see in another thread that you use it on zwift?
Old 12-04-2016, 09:57 PM

That's a screamin' deal on a great trainer!

Quote: Someone here suggested a 1-Up. Here ya' go. $40.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:48 PM

Relative to a new Kurt Kinetic at $349, $200 is not a bad deal for something that will likely never wear out. Version 1.0 isn't all that different from the current iterations to warrant going for the Kinetic du jour.

If you're patient however, and wait until the spring, you'll see trainers on craigslist going for a song.

Either way I think you'll get a fair shake.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:50 PM
Back At It!

it turns out I found another road machine with wheel riser and mat for $140... says it was used twice... I think I'll go for that one!
Old 12-06-2016, 07:05 AM

FYI I've had a few CycleOps Fluids leak on me, including a 2. I decided against warrantying two of them back in the day (I figured one warranty was appropriate for one person, not three) but now I think I'm going to get two replacement ones and sell them off. I think one leaked about 8? 9? years ago, and then the second one I had (which I got under warranty previously) leaked in early 2015.

I'm on a KK now, one I got used.

Ironically the KK is on the last leaked Fluid2's frame. This is because I like the Fluid2 frame design better, with its quick release axle clamp. KK and CycleOps resistance units, on a roller-driven trainer set up, are interchangeable. There's some agreement between the two so the frames are meant to be interchangeable/same, it's not a un/happy coincidence.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:12 AM

I have had a Cycleops Fluid2 forever and it has worked without a problem. I train a ton on the thing too, so it's definitely getting used.

If I got the notion to upgrade, I'd be looking at the Kurt Kinetic ones. They have a heavier flywheel. My only complaint about my Fluid2 is that the lighter flywheel doesn't hold inertia quite as well.